Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Capacity - really ticked

Hi,
I have read the older threads about this and have seen no resolution, so here goes. I supposedly have a 45 gallon Fresh Water Tank. Our last trailer had a 40 gallon tank and we run out much sooner with this one. So that got me doing some testing. Here's what I did:
  • Completely drained tank from low point drain.
  • Put meter on my hose (I made sure it was accurate with a 5 gallon can - it's spot on)
  • Put 20 gallons in as fast as I could. Went great; no spitting; massive air coming out vent so no blockages.
  • Let it rest.
  • Started a slow fill after that.
  • Got to 26 and after that every drop I put it, dribbled out inlet.
  • Put it up on blocks to lean it away from inlet and got maybe another gallon in.
I think I have eliminated any other possible causes other than the wrong tank. I still have 8 months left on my warrantee. This is not acceptable.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2014 Chevy Silverado
Camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

Don't forget the amount in the water lines and the heater. They combine to make the total as I understand.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

I have the same issue. My Forest River 2016 282rk list a 54 gal fresh water capacity tank. I can only put in 40 gal in the tank, 6 gal hot water tank. Total 46 gal. Called the dealer and his comments were that there's 8 gals in the water lines. ????? . I also had to put shut off valves on the vent tube and the over flow tube or I would loose most of my water on the road. What is wrong with Forest River to design the system like this. VERY DISAPPOINTED.
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

I don't buy the water heater and water lines. My specs say fresh water tank = 45 gallons and by gum I expect to get a 45 gallon tank. I'd be willing to concede the quart of water in the lines.

As an update, I am starting a dialogue with FR warrantee dept. They indicated that 45 gallon tanks are used on the 8528 manufacturing line. There is no way that a smaller tank could even get in the line. That makes sense to me. I will keep you advised.
2014 Chevy Silverado
Old 09-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

Who did you contact at Forest River ? Do you have a contact number ?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaholic View Post
Who did you contact at Forest River ? Do you have a contact number ?
All I did was go to the Contact Us tab in the Forest River web site. I filled out the form with my VIN and sent it off. I heard back within 2 hours. So far, very impressive. Since the warrantee dept contacted me, they must have known from my VIN that it was still under warrantee. Once this is resolved, I promise to come back here and provide all the information I have been able to gather. Still in the early stages.
2014 Chevy Silverado
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #7

My 19RR says 45gal......I bought a meter that goes on the end of a hose. Can only get 35g into the tank. When I spoke to FR about it they offered to send me a 45g tank.............All I need to do is rip up the floor to install it!!!

From what i have read, this is rather common as the folks assembling the trailers sometimes simply grab the wrong tank.

Also, there was nothing hooked up to the tank vent. So after about 25 g water would start pouring out from under the trailer.

The vent hole that is next to the water fill was blocked off with caulking from the factory. No vent hose leading down to the tank

My trailer also said 15" wheel and tires and it had 14"....Nice touch!
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

Fresh Water Tank

Have never measured my fresh water capacity, but supposed to be 46 gallons (2014 Wildwood, 32 ft). All I know is that when dry camping, I can easily go as long as with my old trailer and 46 gallon tank.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

Glad they are being responsive to your warranty claim. Don't let it ride, because once it goes out of warranty, even if you filed a claim prior, they may try to deny. This won't be a cheap fix.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Best of luck.

Flagstaff literature does not list 'tank size.'
They are very careful to say Fresh Water = 43 gal. (see photo)

When ordering, I was told by someone at the factory they do in fact calculate the water heater and the plumbing lines into their capacities. This was a 2016. Maybe that is different for a 2017?

None the less, that's a far cry from the 26 gallons you say you got in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8528ikws_capacities.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	151262  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

The total fresh water capacity is 43 gallons (on FR website) you have a 6 gl water heater. The total capacity is figured by adding fresh water tank to water heater. If you have a total capacity of 43 gallons then you have a fresh water tank size of 37 gallons (43-6).

Now if I read your post right you can only get 26 gl into it? It sounds like you have a filler neck problem (goes too far down into the tank) or you have a venting problem.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #12

Yes, water capacity total and tank capacity are two different amounts. I have only seen total water capacity listed in any references!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #13

I have. 2015 Flagstaff 27RLWS, says 36 gal and get 36 when I use the meter in my hose
Cylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #14

To the dealer that said there is 8 gallons in the water lines, what is he smoking? When I winterize I blow out my lines followed by drawing up anti-freeze with the pump. It takes just over 1 gallon to get anti-freeze coming out of kitchen and bath faucets, inside and outside showers, as well as the toilet.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #15

It is crazy to try to include the water in the lines and heater in the tank size reference. How do you know which tank the water in the lines is included in? 40 gallons listed in fresh water should include a 40 gallon tank capacity and if you have a 30 gallon black tank does that mean you should subtract some of the water in the lines. Someone is playing someone else by using the water line capacity as being part of the fresh water capacity.
Furrion Observation Camera
Goodyear Endurance Tires
dfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #16

I had an issue just like this. What I found out was that the vent tube to the tank was to long and would get water in it. Block the venting as it filled to a certain point. At first I would just blow back, clear the line and it would fill up a bit more. After I figured out it was the vent tube, for sure, and did it on a few trips, I shortened the vent tube to where it had no bends was always kept the line strait to the vent. Did not let it have any slack at all, just enough to make nice bends to the vent hole. I now get a full 52 gallons where before I would see 30 gallons and that was it till I emptied the vent tube using a flow meter. Just an idea, as it does sound like your are not venting properly to fill.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #17

I had a similar problem with my 2013 Windjammer 3008 and found a post from someone who had found that the vent hose had a curve in it and when water got into the vent hose it prevented the tank from filling up. I hadn't used it in a while (mostly full hookup camp), but, this summer when the tank filled up after a very short time, I shoved more water into it and it forced the water in the vent hose to come out, followed by air again. Then the tank filled up. Don't know if I will reroute the vent hose, but, I suspect it is the culprit and, if I have to open up the bottom of the trailer someday, I will do it then and see if it corrects it. In the meantime, i'm just going to force the water into the tank a little longer. Interesting, that on the first fill (no water in the tank at all) it filled up without a problem.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #18

So your saying I should blow into the vent tube and then see if I can add more water? I have 3 tubes , one is my drain. The one on the street side I think is the over flow , the one on the curbside I think is the vent tube. I have had a steady stream of water flow out of both. I will try blowing and see what happens
Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #19

No, I didn't mean to blow into the filler neck. What I did was turn on the hose for a harder water flow into the filler neck when the water started coming out of the vent (which on my trailer is right next to the filler hose). Normally, when the water came out of the vent I would stop filling and some water would come out of the filler neck as well - like the tank was full. That time, I thought, "what could it hurt if I just keep putting water into the line? It can't be that full." so, I did. The vent pipe splashed out a few ounces more water and then air started coming out again (like it does when you are filling the tank) and the tank took about another 10-15 gals of water (at least by my calculation of how long it took to completely fill.) The third valve on my tank is the low point drain which was closed when this was happening. I think what happened is some water got into the vent tube and with the curve, it acted like a stopper until I got the water out of the curve and the air could vent from the tank again. Since I didn't take it apart, I can't be positive about the vent tube, but, it sure behaved as if it were plugged with water and the pressure forced it out. Hope that explains it better. Good luck.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #20

ProfChuck , I know now exactly what you are talking about. That is the same system that I had on my 2006 Outback. I had no problems filling that style . On my 2016 Salem Hemisphere 282rk , you screw on the hose to the tank fill female fitting , then after 40 gals , the half inch over flow tube starts pouring out water. You can wait for hours and try to add more with no luck.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank