Old 06-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Failure

Just picked up our Roo 19 Hybrid TT, in May. Getting ready for a trip to a campsite with no hook-ups, I filled the water tank before our trip. I put the hose in the Fresh water tank and began to fill it up, listening to all the gurgling and checking the water level indicator in the TT. Well, I hit full and water was pouring out of the fill tube as well as the overflow. So immediately pulled out hose and turned the water off.
A few minutes later, I heard a thud and saw my water tank resting on my driveway. (see Photo). In doing so quick repair, it looks like one of the cross angle beams was not seated under the water tank very well and two of the self tapping screws pulled out of the frame.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo Water tank.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	79488  

Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Mine didn't hit the ground, but I had a similar failure. Mine has the hose attachment where the tank is filled under pressure. I did as you did, hooked it up, let it run, when I heard water hitting the ground I went to turn it off and heard the frame work give way. I later figured out that it wasn't just a creak, the framework bent. I removed the frame, straightened it, welded in some stronger angle iron. Then I made a crude regulator out of two water hose adapters and a 90* ball valve. Now when I fill I can turn the water flow rate down.

In their infinite wisdom they don't restrict the flow coming in and even with a 45PSI regulator you can outrun the vent's flow rate pressurizing the tank.

I miss my old gravity fill setup.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

pretty shabby forest river.

did this happen on the sierra or keystone ?? both 5th wheels.. gotta say I'm surprised...but the guy with the minilite....that's got me worried...I can see a bow in the tank holder cross members on my 2015 minilite with a 1/3 fill. reinforcing with angle iron and welding I can do, but it's gonna be a pain.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
did this happen on the sierra or keystone ?? both 5th wheels.. gotta say I'm surprised...but the guy with the minilite....that's got me worried...I can see a bow in the tank holder cross members on my 2015 minilite with a 1/3 fill. reinforcing with angle iron and welding I can do, but it's gonna be a pain.
The 2015 minilite should be under warranty. Mine was fixed by the dealer with angle iron and bolts. I could probably do it myself, but I chose to avoid the hassle and let them do it. Plus I have a rock driveway and didn't want to lay on the rocks to fix.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
The 2015 minilite should be under warranty. Mine was fixed by the dealer with angle iron and bolts. I could probably do it myself, but I chose to avoid the hassle and let them do it. Plus I have a rock driveway and didn't want to lay on the rocks to fix.
My Roo 19 is at the dealer now to be fixed. They indicated they would add some extra support.... to me, that means the design was not very good.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
Happened on the Sierra. My Keystone was a gravity fill with the vent mounted high right next to the gravity fill port. I sped to put water in unregulated, just drop the hose in and turn it on, when it was full it would just overflow.

For a basic entry level travel trailer it sure gave me good service unlike a certain fifth wheel I'm sleeping in right now.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water tank, water, fresh water, tank