Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #21

Ours never fell completely out,but it IS hanging down,probably being held up by the fittings. The black plastic coated cardboard is bulged down abot 8".After lookin at another unit like ours,it had 2 pieces of1.25 x 1.25 pressed angle iron running under it,each with one of those dam 5/16" self tapping screws. They musta went to lunch before putting them on ours,then it got moved to the next station! Anyway,its FR's problem now,I took it back to the factory last monday with a 20 item list!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #22

After reading this topic I went out and checked under our new 2016 Grey Wolf 21rb w/46 gallon tank. There are two thin straps about the size for a water heater brace about 1 foot in from both ends of the tank but not one in the center. There are unused matching tabs for bolting one in place so I am wondering if it was forgotten at the factory or designed that way to allow some flex in the middle.

I'd hate to add a strap then have a warranty problem if something happened.
firsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

My Grey Wolf only has two as well... 6,000 miles and it is still there... But that does not mean I'd not be worried. Adding a brace should not effect the warranty. They would have to prove that your better job at doing their job caused the issue you were in for.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #24

Thank you for the thoughts!
Bosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #25

Water tank fell out too

The water tank on our 2015 Heritage Glen fell out on our first camping trip. We were 1+ hours away from the dealer, so we had to call for road service. They did temp fix until we could bring it to a dealer near our home. That dealer put in some extra bracing. We are hoping it will stay put. It is a shame that something like this happens on trailers that we pay so much money for.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #26

In my opinion, when you buy an new RV, your are buying a kit that is 80% complete. The rest is up to you the new owner. If you don't enjoy fixing things, you are in for a heartache.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #27
1+ Yrs of Trailering :0)

All I can say is "yikes" and I would really be "p!$$ed off". QC...what QC?
Old 02-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #28

It's a damn shame we all have to put up with this kind of crap that we all pay our hard earned money for and enjoy so much.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #29

Does any Forest River representatives read or see these post?
You would think they might just want to know what people are saying about their workmanship or product quality.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Mine didn't fall out but it made the attempt!
I found it chasing down a black tank valve cable problem. I never tow with more than 10 gallons of fresh water but I DID fill it to sanitize it. Since I was going to Goshen, I didn't take it to my dealership. I contacted FR's Wildcat warranty manager who told me how to shore it up for my trip to Goshen. When the Goshenites saw my fix (last pic), techs and their management said my fix beat what they would do. My patch remains!
Attachment 99127
Attachment 99128
Attachment 99129

Sent (I think)
Looks good. How about replacing with 5/4 1x6 treated bullnose, just incase you develope a rotting issue.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Looks good. How about replacing with 5/4 1x6 treated bullnose, just incase you develope a rotting issue.
That might have been a better idea... but at the time, I was only prepping for the 1K miles tow to Goshen - assuming they would replace my wood. What I used is cedar fence pickets which will last longer than white wood or pine. Two more facts (or opinions presented as facts): After my adjustments to 2 dump valves, I don't have any water in there now (hopefully). Also, the Goshenites put all my coroplast back and sealed all seams around it.I hope that seals out water but, for a fact, I don't plan on opening that bottom unless I detect a problem!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #32
Gold Miner At Heart

Yea call the dealer. Things like this just really make me mad. Spend all that money and that crap.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #33

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
In my opinion, when you buy an new RV, your are buying a kit that is 80% complete. The rest is up to you the new owner. If you don't enjoy fixing things, you are in for a heartache.

John U

I like this!

Well, actually I don't like this...because it's true.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #34

I finally got the tank detached and removed while laying in the snow this evening (well, it was snowing, I was on cold dry pavement). The coraplast got stuffed back up and held in with a ratchet strap. Drove 30mph back to the dealership, but got it there in one piece. Now it's time for a good nights sleep. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
Bosk
Bosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
I finally got the tank detached and removed while laying in the snow this evening (well, it was snowing, I was on cold dry pavement). The coraplast got stuffed back up and held in with a ratchet strap. Drove 30mph back to the dealership, but got it there in one piece. Now it's time for a good nights sleep. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
Bosk
This is total BS,,, The dealer or FR should have sent someone to you !!!
It is stories like this that make me wonder if I even want to take my unit out of the yard,,, or maybe hang a For Sale sign on it ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #36

BS but reality is tanks aren't designed to be towed with water in them and many dealers/manufacturers will not warranty a tank that fell out.-search internet to see the horror stories.

Solution is to be your own warranty and fix it yourself. Many options out there.

I use angle iron to reinforce poor tack welds on thin flanges or thin straps that will fatigue and fail from vibration.

I also use threaded rod for vertical supports into frame that I then run beams across.

Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
BS but reality is tanks aren't designed to be towed with water in them and many dealers/manufacturers will not warranty a tank that fell out.-search internet to see the horror stories.
Huh? Why do they put a decal on the trailer telling you how much a full load of water weighs and that it must be subtracted from cargo capacity? I do not really care what it weighs if the trailer is sitting in the back yard. Out of 3 trailers purchased new I do not ever remember reading in a manual not to tow with tanks full, or seen a warning decal saying not to, or noticed a warranty exclusion.

All it amounts to is piss poor design and piss poor assembly. A travel trailer is worthless if you can't move it with full tanks. It stops being a travel trailer and starts being a mobile home.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #38

At some National Park campgrounds you have to drive a few miles with a full water tank and back out with full grey and black tanks. I have had five campers and I have never had a water tank to fall out, that's just poor workmanship. But I understand how the manufacturing RV goes, spend as little on them as you can to get them out the door as you possibly can. That's with all the manufacturing in the RV industry. That's why we have cheap tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Huh? Why do they put a decal on the trailer telling you how much a full load of water weighs and that it must be subtracted from cargo capacity? I do not really care what it weighs if the trailer is sitting in the back yard. Out of 3 trailers purchased new I do not ever remember reading in a manual not to tow with tanks full, or seen a warning decal saying not to, or noticed a warranty exclusion.

All it amounts to is piss poor design and piss poor assembly. A travel trailer is worthless if you can't move it with full tanks. It stops being a travel trailer and starts being a mobile home.

The label is there for TOWING purposes. If you want to tow it someplace with a full fresh water tank, you supposed to make sure your "other" cargo + the weight of the water doesn't exceed the GVW of the trailer.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Solution is to be your own warranty and fix it yourself. Many options out there.

I use angle iron to reinforce poor tack welds on thin flanges or thin straps that will fatigue and fail from vibration.

I also use threaded rod for vertical supports into frame that I then run beams across.

Nice support,,, but I do not understand your belief that tanks are not designed to be towed when full ??? If that is true,,, then what are the tanks for ??? Is this also true for Black & Gray tanks ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank