Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Nice support,,, but I do not understand your belief that tanks are not designed to be towed when full ??? If that is true,,, then what are the tanks for ??? Is this also true for Black & Gray tanks ???
It seems that is variable. SOME tanks have more rigid bottoms and or
are better supported than others.
Some are fine towing when full- others are apparently not at all OK towing when full.

Your best answer is to physically look at yours when full.
You may have to remove under belly cover in order to do that.

Wish we could give you a yes no answer but unfortunately it's not that way...

My previous Rockwood Ultralite had the fresh tank in the pass thru storage sitting on the floor. It was totally fine when completely full.
My current rig appears to sag the underbelly cover when the tank is full
so I am very suspicious. I have not removed the underbelly cover to
look yet but it's on my short list as soon as winter is over.

The same goes for your holding tanks. They could be fine and they could
be poorly supported and ready to "hit the road" if you travel with them full.
The only way to know for sure is to inspect them carefully.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #42

Maybe we would all be better off traveling around in our cars,,,
and renting cabins ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #43

Angry Fresh water tank fell out, TWICE!

In 2015 after a short "Shake down cruise", we were three days out of a seven week, 7,000 mile trip when I noted the fresh water tank was just being held in by the belly cover. Otherwise it would have completely fallen out. After absolutely NO HELP from FR, and about six tie down straps later we continued the trip without further incident, at least for the tank problem. Once we returned home, the trailer was returned to the dealer who took over three months to fix all the problems we presented to them. That was three months I was making payments to fix problems that FR already knew existed, via complaints of many other customers. If you don't believe me just check the boards. Since the fix we used it on two separate short one week trips.

Last week while moving the trailer from its storage yard to our house, about a six mile drive, the water tank once again fell out. This time it fell completely out and is now totally destroyed. So now, once again, the remains of the tank have been strapped in with tie down straps so we could continue with the current planned one week trip. Once we get back it ought to be fun getting it fixed.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again a FR product.

Sgt Ed
2015 Cardinal 3850RL

Sgt Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #44

It seems FR bought some crappy tanks and or have a faulty engineered install, and are not willing to do anything about them, unless they get sued.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #45

I was very lucky I suppose. My local dealer(weekend RV in Clinton tn), took care of all of my issues quickly and apologetically. Despite my problems they turned my negative experience into a positive feeling.
Bosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Ed View Post
In 2015 after a short "Shake down cruise", we were three days out of a seven week, 7,000 mile trip when I noted the fresh water tank was just being held in by the belly cover. Otherwise it would have completely fallen out. After absolutely NO HELP from FR, and about six tie down straps later we continued the trip without further incident, at least for the tank problem. Once we returned home, the trailer was returned to the dealer who took over three months to fix all the problems we presented to them. That was three months I was making payments to fix problems that FR already knew existed, via complaints of many other customers. If you don't believe me just check the boards. Since the fix we used it on two separate short one week trips.

Last week while moving the trailer from its storage yard to our house, about a six mile drive, the water tank once again fell out. This time it fell completely out and is now totally destroyed. So now, once again, the remains of the tank have been strapped in with tie down straps so we could continue with the current planned one week trip. Once we get back it ought to be fun getting it fixed.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again a FR product.

Sgt Ed
2015 Cardinal 3850RL
Sounds to me like I would be putting some blame on the dealer, at least for taking 3 months to fix issues and for the tank falling out the second time.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #47

Oh man, I feel your pain as this happened to us too in May 2010 on our first trip with our brand new 2010 Rockwood Roo 23RS. We towed the empty trailer 2 hours north and stopped at my Mother-in-laws 15 min from the campground to fill up the water as the water lines at the campground were still frozen. We were readying the trailer while the water filled and all of a sudden, BANG! We went to inspect and the water tank and part of the frame were lying on the road! Talk about disappointing. This was our absolute first experience camping with our brand new trailer (or any trailer for that matter). We did call Coachnet as we were so far from the dealer. The guy they sent to fix it was absolutely amazing. Friday evening of a long weekend, he was lying on the wet, snowy road to fix it for us so that we could get out camping. I can't remember now exactly what he did, but we haven't had a problem since and we do tow with a full tank quite often. Sometimes there is just no other choice. I do often worry about the grey or black tanks falling out as well though when we have to tow with them.

I had no idea that this was such a common occurrence. That is absolutely reprehensible. We have found so much other shoddy workmanship in our trailer, but most has been easy to fix or just cosmetic. I agree with a previous poster that said that you buy an 80% complete trailer and have to fix/finish the rest, but having such an important, integral, but basic part of a trailer fall apart so often is unacceptable, especially as it seems like it has been going on for so long without any improvements to their basic design.

Good luck getting it all fixed and fingers crossed that you don't have any more problems!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #48
Just A Member

I just got my TT back from dealer for warranty work last weekend. It took 2 months and one issue they fixed was my fresh water tank would not vent. They pulled my underbelly cover off and cut a big loop out of the vent hose and spliced it back together with a brass fitting and 2 hose clamps. Well you can guess where I found a leak this weekend flushing the fresh water system out. I basically had to fix what warranty just paid the dealer to do and drop the underbelly cover and tighten the hose clamps they installed. With the cover removed I could see my fresh water tank and guess what again. It has about a 4 inch sag in the bottom and the support brace is bent down that much. It will not completely drain so I have about 2-3 gallons of water that sits in there with no way to get it out. Looks like either I fix it myself with adding extra bracing like OP did or take it to the dealer and sit around again till they fix it. I think that this should be a major recall item. Obviously this is a issue on many different RV's and water tanks falling out should be a safety issue on top of a unsanitary health issue. For now I plan to add it to my fix list at Goshen and hope it don't fall out until then. But it will probably bug me enough that I will tear it out and fix it myself so I know it's done correctly. Maybe I can get FR to pay me the warranty repair money.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
We got a new 8329ss 8 days ago. Fresh water tank half full, hear a loud bam, feel a shake and go out to find tank laying on ground. What now?
Welp mine fell down today. Didn't hit the ground, but after investigating found a wire being pinched by water tank. So the tank falling freed that wire up. Blessing in disguise? Let the challenges begin!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #50

When ours was at the factory all winter for its "rebuild" the tank was 1/3 hanging down.The dealer "fixed it" with spray foam and so everything was hanging down,includeing the foam all around the tank.They stuch the belly pan back up with some black tape and put it on the lot.

The tech at FR said that after they dug the foam out,one of the retainer straps was not connected.He was appalled that they would tape it up with black duck tape.It now is properly hung and has a complete new underbelly cover.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #51

I have followed this and other post about the falling water tank so I knew it was only a matter of time before it will happen to me. I have a 2016 23ss roo and its not a year old. WE used it last year but all the campgrounds had water hook up and when we filled the water tank to sanitize it no problem BUT I know it was only a mater of time for I had seen how the water tank was held in. Well this past weekend we went to Punderson state park in Newbury Ohio for the weekend and we always use full hookup's but the park is being upgraded so we were moved to a site that had only 20amp electric so I filled the water tank up at the water station at the park. We only had to drive less the a 1/4 mile to our site and back in . I set up and was all done so I thought I would take a peek and well we all know what I was looking at and will it last till the tank was empty was my next worry. So today I am off to the dealer to have it fixed and when I called on Monday the lady who answered the phone was shocked that something like that would happen. I told her that in forest river forms their are dozens of complaints about this problem and after telling her of all of the Rockwood Roos they have sold don't tell me I have the only one. So with that she said bring it on in and we will get it fixed so we will see how long this takes and if I post here the dealers name if its a good dealer or bad one , To be contended
Paul
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #52

I have to wonder why is there are never recalls on RV stuff like this ???
Maybe they are waiting for one to fall out on the HWY and kill someone ???
Old 05-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #53

Quote:
I have to wonder why is there are never recalls on RV stuff like this ???
Maybe they are waiting for one to fall out on the HWY and kill someone ???
Can you imagine the pandemonium at the dealers? None of them can handle the everyday service work they get anyway. Imagine if the manufacturers issued recalls -- there would be thousands of RVs on dealer's lots waiting for months for service. I think the manufacturers just blow it off and count on dealers to take care of their problems on a case-by-case basis.

Bruce
Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Can you imagine the pandemonium at the dealers? None of them can handle the everyday service work they get anyway. Imagine if the manufacturers issued recalls -- there would be thousands of RVs on dealer's lots waiting for months for service. I think the manufacturers just blow it off and count on dealers to take care of their problems on a case-by-case basis.

Bruce
I am sure you are right !!!
But what about the legal battle that could happen ???
Could you imagine a 30 or 40 car pile up on a Freeway or Interstate ???
Old 05-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #55

So is this a known Roo issue? We have a 2016 21SS and camp at state parks all the time, so use the tank frequently. I usually check the tank as it is filling and everything looks okay. Maybe I should crawl under there and give it a good going over.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
So is this a known Roo issue? We have a 2016 21SS and camp at state parks all the time, so use the tank frequently. I usually check the tank as it is filling and everything looks okay. Maybe I should crawl under there and give it a good going over.
I think it not just a Roo issue,,, maybe A FR issue ???
If you plan to crawl under your unit,,, you might want to make sure the tank is empty !!!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #57

Lol thanks. We don't travel with water, so it is empty between trips.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Lol thanks. We don't travel with water, so it is empty between trips.
We do,,, we travel with a full tank,,, because I do not want to put CG water in our unit !!!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #59

Quote:
I think it not just a Roo issue,,, maybe A FR issue ???
If you plan to crawl under your unit,,, you might want to make sure the tank is empty !!!

It's easier to notice on a Roo because the under belly is not enclosed. Its a Lippert (LCI) issue as they make the frames and the tank supports. The way I see it since FR and other manufacturers continue to use LCI they (the manufacturers) are ultimately the ones responsible. It doesn't just happen here, go to other manufacturer specific forums.

That being said. If you want a water tank that you can fill and not worry about, I suggest buying some steel and breaking out your welder. Be advised you'll potentially void the LCI frame warranty on the frame they built, that will not hold the tank to begin with. And wear one of these when you crawl under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HELMET.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	107418  
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #60

I real Chrome Dome !!!
LOL !!!

Tags