Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
So is this a known Roo issue? We have a 2016 21SS and camp at state parks all the time, so use the tank frequently. I usually check the tank as it is filling and everything looks okay. Maybe I should crawl under there and give it a good going over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I think it not just a Roo issue,,, maybe A FR issue ???
If you plan to crawl under your unit,,, you might want to make sure the tank is empty !!!
It is a FR issue. I've followed this closely since mine fell. I have a Sierra, but several other lines have had the same problem.

I believe it's two fold. First, the frames are weak and poorly designed. Second, and this was the primary problem with mine, the inadequate air vent coupled with the thread on hose connection mean that even with a regulator the inflow of water can greatly outflow the vent once the tank fills. Just air and it's fine, but once the tank is full it becomes pressurized as the vent can't flow water out fast enough. Given the size of the tank only a few PSI can equal thousand(s) of pounds of force.

That's what happened to mine. I started filling the tank, kept loading up, saw water coming out the vent and as I was walking to turn the water off I heard the frame fail.

I made a valve out of a couple of fittings and a 90* valve so I can cut the flow rate down but eventually I want to either convert it to a gravity feed system or increase the vent size to ensure that can't happen again.

It's a real flaw, that's for sure.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
It is a FR issue. I've followed this closely since mine fell. I have a Sierra, but several other lines have had the same problem.

I believe it's two fold. First, the frames are weak and poorly designed. Second, and this was the primary problem with mine, the inadequate air vent coupled with the thread on hose connection mean that even with a regulator the inflow of water can greatly outflow the vent once the tank fills. Just air and it's fine, but once the tank is full it becomes pressurized as the vent can't flow water out fast enough. Given the size of the tank only a few PSI can equal thousand(s) of pounds of force.

That's what happened to mine. I started filling the tank, kept loading up, saw water coming out the vent and as I was walking to turn the water off I heard the frame fail.

I made a valve out of a couple of fittings and a 90* valve so I can cut the flow rate down but eventually I want to either convert it to a gravity feed system or increase the vent size to ensure that can't happen again.

It's a real flaw, that's for sure.
I can see your point but as far as Roo's and Shamrocks are concerned the fresh water tanks on them are gravity fed. We don't have a provision to fill from the city water connection.

I would be curious to see if they left any headroom above your tank. On my Roo 23WS they had the tank jammed in tight to the underside of the floor. Even without the pressurized fill ability, the MDPE blow and roto molded tanks can swell considerably when full. With no room above something must give.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I can see your point but as far as Roo's and Shamrocks are concerned the fresh water tanks on them are gravity fed. We don't have a provision to fill from the city water connection.

I would be curious to see if they left any headroom above your tank. On my Roo 23WS they had the tank jammed in tight to the underside of the floor. Even without the pressurized fill ability, the MDPE blow and roto molded tanks can swell considerably when full. With no room above something must give.
There's about 1/2" of headroom. It shouldn't swell at all, and the fact that yours is gravity fed and still fell out is really bad.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
There's about 1/2" of headroom. It shouldn't swell at all, and the fact that yours is gravity fed and still fell out is really bad.
Lol...It did'nt fall out....well not all the way out....lets say it sagged a little. I like to be proactive. And if you watch one of those mdpe tanks when filling they can balloon quite a bit. I seen one lift plywood once in a popup floor.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #65

I had the same problem (Coachmen Apex 21'). Was sanitizing the water tank which requires complete 30 gallon fill - next thing - BOOM. It was held in with two flimsy pieces of angle line and literally just resting on one piece at each side. I had to syphon the thing (30 gallons) to be able to lift it back in but it's clear that I will need to take some measures to make a permanent and more secure fit. Thanks for sharing your experiences it really helped me.
d2mrp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 AM   #66

Maybe when these companies build these RVs they think the tanks will always be empty ??? Or they are not smart enough to figure out how much 30 gallons of water weights !!! Sham on there anises !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:41 AM   #67

My brand new 25 WAB , the fresh tank bulges down and touches the axle . Today I am gonna put 3 or 5 steel braces fore and aft . I had to do the same to my 2014 Dutchman .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
My brand new 25 WAB , the fresh tank bulges down and touches the axle . Today I am gonna put 3 or 5 steel braces fore and aft . I had to do the same to my 2014 Dutchman .
NOT RIGHT !!!

Brand new unit & you have to rebuild the frame !!!
Maybe we need to make the builders fix them ???
In hopes they get the message !!!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #69

2nd thought !!!
We RV owners are doing way to work on these New unites !!!
We are saving these companies Millions of $$$ every year !!!
By doing there warrantee work for them !!!
Maybe we are the reason for the shoddy work they do ???
Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #70

I been thinkin about what Wolverine said about workin on these things , I have had four Forrest River products . I guess when I fill out my next resume I can honestly say that I work for Forrest River doing their warranty work .
I like F.R. and I kinda get a kick outta fixin some of their problems .In shop Warranty repair is a pain in the butt when ya use your unit every day and live many miles away from your dealer .
Old 07-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
I been thinkin about what Wolverine said about workin on these things , I have had four Forrest River products . I guess when I fill out my next resume I can honestly say that I work for Forrest River doing their warranty work .
I like F.R. and I kinda get a kick outta fixin some of their problems .In shop Warranty repair is a pain in the butt when ya use your unit every day and live many miles away from your dealer .
Right On Bob !!!
I most cases we can fix things in less time & maybe better than most so called RV tecs !!! Sad but true !!!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #72

I think it is more than that. We want light weight trailer with all sorts of amenities and the trailer manufacturers try to give us what we want but some times they fall short with inadequate engineering.
I have seen in many industries that when people are hired to purchase items some times the bottom line they receive junk from the vendors. Even some times they engineer an item where a product they have been used for years is now inadequate to perform the new requirement at hand.
I do not know if this is the case, but if enough people are complaining I do believe there should be a fix for the product from the manufacturer.
Personally I am modifying the trailer, I will make it suit my and my wife's needs.
I am not worried about warranty work anymore, I can fix any part of this trailer right down to the individual electronic components in it.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
I think it is more than that. We want light weight trailer with all sorts of amenities and the trailer manufacturers try to give us what we want but some times they fall short with inadequate engineering.
I have seen in many industries that when people are hired to purchase items some times the bottom line they receive junk from the vendors. Even some times they engineer an item where a product they have been used for years is now inadequate to perform the new requirement at hand.
I do not know if this is the case, but if enough people are complaining I do believe there should be a fix for the product from the manufacturer.
Personally I am modifying the trailer, I will make it suit my and my wife's needs.
I am not worried about warranty work anymore, I can fix any part of this trailer right down to the individual electronic components in it.
Ditto
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #74

I kinda feel the same way . The consumer wants it as light and as cheap as can be done . Sometimes the manufacturer gets it correct and some times not . I have had high dollar units fall apart and I have had cheap units fall apart . But you know how it is , some people will bitch even if ya hang em with a brand new rope !
I just put five steel straps fore and aft , 1/8 by 21/2 under my tank and it looks good , fingers crossed !
Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #75

where does this saying the consumer wants it lighter and as cheap as can be done .
I say BS . the consumer only knows what kind of floor plan they like . the lighter, cheaper is all manufacture pushing on the consumer , now 1/2 ton towable , the consumers goes to the dealer see what available and goes from there . i see no consumer groups saying we need lighter and cheaper .
same goes for quality i do not see consumers saying we want cheap low quality units . but that's what they get .
manufactures are simply trying to increase market share by coming out with lighter cheaper so you can tow with your VW
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #76

It is not just the consumer or just the manufacturer that is to blame, it is both.
the manufacturer does have incentive to make lighter units, these units can be pulled by more types of vehicles and thereby appeal to a larger pool of customers. And the consumer wants to tow the floorplan they like with the vehicle they currently have, they don't want to buy a new vehicle and a new camper..... The consumer also wants to pay as little as possible for the camper. There are many threads here of people going out of state, sometimes across the country to get the camper they want for as little money as possible.
I hear people state that they would pay more money for quality, but in reality, that does not happen. Most of the consumer base does not know quality when they see it and does not want to pay extra for what they can't see.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #77

Ronald Reagan - Cold War: "Trust but Verify!"

That's how I approached buying our TT... I looked-over 7-8 same brand/model units on the lot & picked the best one. I then spent 2 hours looking over our unit before making an offer followed by a 2.5 hour PDI performed by our local dealership. I then took the unit home, lifted the coroplast, and inspected the entire underneath... This is the first season we have had any issues so far - replaced Dometic fridge with resdential/inverter for MUCH better space/performance...

Our 2-slide bunkhouse is only 6,500 empty, so I was worried they had cut corners to save weight... However, Primetime has continued producing this same brand/model for over 6 years now with only mostly cosmetic changes... IMO when brands drop models early-on, there are issues...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
It is not just the consumer or just the manufacturer that is to blame, it is both.
the manufacturer does have incentive to make lighter units, these units can be pulled by more types of vehicles and thereby appeal to a larger pool of customers. And the consumer wants to tow the floorplan they like with the vehicle they currently have, they don't want to buy a new vehicle and a new camper..... The consumer also wants to pay as little as possible for the camper. There are many threads here of people going out of state, sometimes across the country to get the camper they want for as little money as possible.
I hear people state that they would pay more money for quality, but in reality, that does not happen. Most of the consumer base does not know quality when they see it and does not want to pay extra for what they can't see.
I kind of disagree . the consumer doesn't know what they want only what is available . all new units come out with one thing in mind increasing market share . the consumer doesn't know from hyperlite , to hyper heavy . they are at the mercy of the manufacture and rely on them to build units that at least meet basic safety standards which if you ask me are not being met IMO
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #79

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
2nd thought !!!
We RV owners are doing way to work on these New unites !!!
We are saving these companies Millions of $$$ every year !!!
By doing there warrantee work for them !!!
Maybe we are the reason for the shoddy work they do ???
I think you are right...but then our lives may depend on the quality of work so perhaps we should make sure it gets done right!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I agree with you. Low cost, being able to pull with your SUV. All this drives consumer behavior. Good or bad it is what the free market economy has created. I noticed the parts you can see (above the trailer frame) are usually "good quality" but if you get underneath, omg it's flimsy. Most people don't get under there and buy purely on aesthetics/snazzy interior and then lowest possible price.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank