Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #1

Fresh water tank filling through city water

I have a 2018 Sunseeker 3050s. Trying to figure out where check valve is located for fresh water tank. Have city water hooked up to RV and it’s for some reason after being hooked up for 2 months now and when we went outside this morning water was coming out of fresh water fill. So shut off city water. Using water from tank but seems like pump is surging on and off. Wondering if Check valve is built in to water pump?
Wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Your fresh water pump does have a check valve in it. you need to use it ever so often for the check valve to work correctly. Also check your water pressure regulator. I had a regulator go bad on me and that also allowed my fresh water tank to fill from the city water. I have actually started carrying a spare regulator valve with me so that I can change it out to check to see if that is the problem. Try to use your fresh water pump for a day or two and then switch to city water. If your fresh water tank continues to fill then try replacing your water pressure regulator. If that does not stop the fresh water tank from filling then you may need to replace the fresh water pump. Hope that this helps.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Read this thread and see how much of it is helpful ==> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-154650.html.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks. I’ll pick up another water pressure valve tomorrow. I have been using the pump on and off for the past few months. Pump sounds like it is surging on and off. Didn’t use to sound like that. Thanks again
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Read this thread and see how much of it is helpful ==> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-154650.html.

Thanks Mr Dan! going to try the different things from this thread. Running on pump now. City water is shut off. Thanks everyone for all the help. I’ll post and let you know how I make out tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggler View Post
Thanks Mr Dan! going to try the different things from this thread. Running on pump now. City water is shut off. Thanks everyone for all the help. I’ll post and let you know how I make out tomorrow.

Ditto to the recommendations posted so far. I had the same problem last month when I didn’t use my regulator. I also picked of a check valve and installed it before the pump.

If you need s new pump, I picked my same model up on Amazon for $69. Was $149 at camping world.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoRandy View Post
Ditto to the recommendations posted so far. I had the same problem last month when I didn’t use my regulator. I also picked of a check valve and installed it before the pump.

If you need s new pump, I picked my same model up on Amazon for $69. Was $149 at camping world.

Thanks! If I need a new pump I hope it should be covered under warranty. Didn’t have unit a year yet. Where did you pick up the check valve you added to your line?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Quote:
Thanks! If I need a new pump I hope it should be covered under warranty. Didn’t have unit a year yet. Where did you pick up the check valve you added to your line?

Lowe’s
Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I have a 2018 Sunseeker 3050s.
Wondering if Check valve is built in to water pump?
A ShurFlo pump has a check valve built into the pump head. It’s the little round object in the center of this pic. If it gets stuck open a little by grit, etc., you have your problem of blow-by to the fresh water tank. In my case, the valve appeared to be microns too small and would stick in the hole in which case the pump wouldn’t “draw water”.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7355.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	164947

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
I have a 2018 Sunseeker 3050s. Trying to figure out where check valve is located for fresh water tank. Have city water hooked up to RV and it’s for some reason after being hooked up for 2 months now and when we went outside this morning water was coming out of fresh water fill. So shut off city water. Using water from tank but seems like pump is surging on and off. Wondering if Check valve is built in to water pump?
I am having the same problem in my 2017 SS 3050S.

I have changed out the pump and still have the problem.

I noticed that it won't backfill if we are using water on a regular basis, however, we left for a day and the FW tank was overflowing when we got back.

I noticed that if you haven't used water for a time, when you turn it on there is higher pressure for an instant, which leads me to believe that, even with a good pressure reducer, the FR SS water system incurs increasing pressure over time if water is not constantly being used.

This increase of pressure could over-ride the check valve in the WP.

As far as the surging is concerned, mine surges if the faucet is not full open.

Check your WP manual as I believe there is an adjustment on the WP to reduce the surging.

If your WP is in the compartment just behind the rear tires on the passenger side, next to the water filter, then it is a chore to change out the WP, (must remove the plastic panels in that compartment).

I am still trying to locate the best place to put a 'SharkBite' check valve to prevent this problem but waiting for warmer weather before I pull everything apart again.

Let me know if you come across another solution.
Just me and the Wife
emeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Our water pump has always cycles on & off !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
I am having the same problem in my 2017 SS 3050S.

I have changed out the pump and still have the problem.

I noticed that it won't backfill if we are using water on a regular basis, however, we left for a day and the FW tank was overflowing when we got back.

I noticed that if you haven't used water for a time, when you turn it on there is higher pressure for an instant, which leads me to believe that, even with a good pressure reducer, the FR SS water system incurs increasing pressure over time if water is not constantly being used.

This increase of pressure could over-ride the check valve in the WP.

As far as the surging is concerned, mine surges if the faucet is not full open.

Check your WP manual as I believe there is an adjustment on the WP to reduce the surging.

If your WP is in the compartment just behind the rear tires on the passenger side, next to the water filter, then it is a chore to change out the WP, (must remove the plastic panels in that compartment).

I am still trying to locate the best place to put a 'SharkBite' check valve to prevent this problem but waiting for warmer weather before I pull everything apart again.

Let me know if you come across another solution.
Never, ever leave your rig for the day with the water pressure on.
I have seen far too many units with water running out under the door to leave it on when gone. You are lucky it back-filled the tank and a line/fitting didn't leak and create havoc.

As mentioned, a QUALITY water pressure regulator is a must at most places.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

Doesn't everyone use a Pressure Regulator ???
Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not like 5picker's.

I have mostly seen this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reg.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	165078  
Just me and the Wife
Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Not like 5picker's.

Yes we carry one of those with us !!!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Never, ever leave your rig for the day with the water pressure on.

I have seen far too many units with water running out under the door to leave it on when gone. You are lucky it back-filled the tank and a line/fitting didn't leak and create havoc.

As mentioned, a QUALITY water pressure regulator is a must at most places.

Ordered a new pressure gauge should be delivered today. Had that little brass one that someone posted a pic on here. Update on my problem. I shut city water off used fresh water tank and used about 2/3 of the tank. Then shut off water pump released pressure on system by opening a faucet and then turned city water back on. Seems to be working correctly now fresh water tank still at 1/3 for 3 days now. Only turned city water valve on halfway until I get new pressure valve and install it. THANKS for all the help. And if anybody else is having this problem try this before changing pump. It doesn’t take that long!!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Quote:
Not like 5picker's.

No, a LOT of folks don't use a pressure regulator.

Almost all of the ones like emeth posted do regulate (actually, more like restrict) but once the flow has stopped, they allow the static pressure on the outbound side to rise to whatever the input pressure is. Don't believe it?... check it with a gauge.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:

Almost all of the ones like emeth posted do regulate (actually, more like restrict) but once the flow has stopped, they allow the static pressure on the outbound side to rise to whatever the input pressure is. Don't believe it?... check it with a gauge.
If this is the case, then these small 40-50 lb restrictors are not doing what they are supposed to do and I would think more people would be having this problem.

I don't remember ever having this problem with my Arctic Fox TT

I will put a gauge on the outboard side of the restrictor today ad see if the pressure does in fact increase.

Also, your regulator,(which I do have one), along with being quite expensive, would have to be hooked up somewhere in line as I would think it would be heavy and awkward to attach, either to the park water pipe directly or to the RV city water port.

It seems that your regulator would also be difficult to winterize.

Just some questions respectfully asked.
Just me and the Wife
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If this is the case, then these small 40-50 lb restrictors are not doing what they are supposed to do and I would think more people would be having this problem.

I don't remember ever having this problem with my Arctic Fox TT

I will put a gauge on the outboard side of the restrictor today ad see if the pressure does in fact increase.

Also, your regulator,(which I do have one), along with being quite expensive, would have to be hooked up somewhere in line as I would think it would be heavy and awkward to attach, either to the park water pipe directly or to the RV city water port.

It seems that your regulator would also be difficult to winterize.

Just some questions respectfully asked.
I had the same adjustable regulator (until I forgot it at one campground) and I hadn't had a problem with hooking it up at a campground tap. Usually used a Brass splitter, then hung the regulator there before hooking up the white hose to the trailer. Non regulated side of the splitter would get the basic green hose used for outside stuff, like filling buckets for kids to play with, filling the dog's outside water bowl, hosing off muddy kids before allowing them back in the camper, etc...

And yes, winterization could be an issue. First one I had I left in the trailer over the winter, and while it still worked, the gauge never read right. Replaced it with a new one that went in the heated garage every year next to the trailer battery and sat next to where I store the trailer battery.

That second one as mentioned above (along with my nice brass splitter) was unfortunately left behind at a campground this year. The kids decided to help dear old dad and unhooked the hose for me. Little did I know until the next campground that they had only unhooked the hose and not the rest. And since I didn't go double check like I should have....

So far, we've been using the cheap 'restrictor' we got with the trailer as a stand in until we get a chance to replace it with the adjustable. I've been to too many campgrounds where the DW is annoyed at the already low water pressure being even lower when its coming out of the restrictor that I know I'll have to replace it before long.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:

5picker, unless I misunderstood you, I put a brand new water pressure gauge on the outboard side of the 40-50 # restrictor, (above), for a few hours and did not notice any increase in pressure, (started out at 40 #s).

I still believe that something else is afoot here, perhaps with the way FR SS models plumb their water systems.

unless you have another idea?

Has anyone else with any other FR model have the same problem?
Just me and the Wife

Tags
city water, fresh water, tank, water, water tank