Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

Fresh Water tank filling up

I am on a 3and a 1/2 month adventure in NE US and Canada. I have had two instances where my Fresh water tank has filled up and over flowed when I was connected to the City water connection. What is letting the water flow from my city connection to the Fresh water holding tank by itself? Is there a check valve that is sticky?
Advise would be appreciated.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Run your water pump for a few seconds. Sometimes the check valve gets stuck open.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Little more detail:

Disconnect city water.
open a faucet to release pressure.
turn on water pump and allow water to run for 10 secs.
turn off water pump.
reconnect city water.
You should be OK. Do not use water pump with city water connected. It can cause the check valve in the pump to seat improperly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Fresh Water auto Fill

Hello Bob,
Thanks for that great information. I don't think we had ran the pump while connected to City water, but who knows if a flip of the wrong switch may have occurred. I will reset as directed and keep watch if that tank run-ith over again. I hope not, those 3 am funny noises make for a tough morning, LOL. I heard the water running down the side of the camper out the overflow at the fresh water fill opening.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Site Team

You may not have run the pump with city water hooked up. It can sometimes get a little crud in the check valve or just no close correctly if run with with air in the lines. Usually running water through it allows it to reseat. if it does not you can rebuild the pump fairly easily with a simple rebuild lit.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 07-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #6

I had the same thing happen last June and went right to the forum for help. Thanks to fonzie for the following help and much like Flybob's. Worked great and have had no more problems.

"Your check valve internal to water pump is leaking. Disconnect city water, turn pump on open cold faucet for one minute. Stop water pump (turn off) reconnect city water and hopefully it sealed. If still leaking try a few more times. If it does not fix, then either new pump or check valve kit or add check valve to output line of water pump....."

check valve in water pump system

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #7

You can also install an additional check valve on the outlet side of the water pump. It's next to impossible to get internal parts for the water pumps.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #8

Bad check valve

Here's what I did yesterday to cure the same problem you have. The check valve in pump definitely defective. Tried all the suggestions to clear it. I have a connector on the fresh water side of pump with a shutoff that allows you to pump water from antifreeze container. I turned valve to shut off water going to fresh water tank. I put a brass plug into the end of the hose that you would use for antifreeze. Then I put s small hose clamp to tighten around brass fitting. I got the plug and clamp from local rv dealer. I cut off small piece of hose so he got the right brass plug. Do this with city water turned off.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Team

That is a good temporary fix, but make sure you have a water pressure reducer. If you hit a campground with high line pressure you could blow the plug out of the line and you would have a flood.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Overflow fix

I made sure I got a barbed brass plug and the clamps I put on I have confidence in. Same clamps used for 35 years at phone company . Not going to replace pump . Don't know why mine went bad either. Another substandard part used in the rv industry .

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank