Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Problem?

I have a Cardinal 37'RK and can NOT get the water to pump out of the fresh water tank.

I have filled the tank to overflow.

Made sure the little vent hose is clear (water shoots back out and I can feel the air coming out as the tank is being filled.

I can disconnect the hose from the tank, hook it to another source of water and the pump will pump the water thru the system.

I can't SEE the tank so where is the tank located?

So what next?

HELP!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #2

David,
If you screw your hose into the side, the pump is bypassed thus using "city water" pressure. Couple of things I'd look at...find the circuit breaker that the pump is on and check that first. I think the pump is located under the sink (or at least it is on mine), check the connections there. I hope this helps, I'm sure others with a bit more experience will chime in soon.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know.

2006 Wildwood 28BH
2001 GMC Yukon XL 4x4
2003 Honda VTX 1800C
2005 Honda ATV's
jeburnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #3

Smile pump pressure

Welcome to FRF. Do you have an onboard water filter? You might want to check that I've found the pressure very good after replaceing the filter element. I also found that my pump runs with very little pressure until I bleed the air out of the line. Best way I found is to flush the toilet until the pressure comes up and the pump will stop.
Good Luck
05 Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the help.

I checked and the pump is working ok.

I do have an inline water filter.

Could that be the problem?

How can I check it?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #5

you said the pump will pump water if you use another source of water, other than the tank line?
if so i would say the suction hose somewhere s along the way is kinked or its pulled up to a point in the tank to preclude getting the water

i would remove the hose from the pump, and try blowing air through it with your mouth or some other low pressure means, and have a helper listen at the vent hose for air bubbles or plain air
if it bubbles then its probably under water and should suction, if it doesnt then i would say its above the water level and its sucking air.
if you cant blow at all i would say its pinched or blocked.

my water tank is over the rear axles, a real lovely place to get at .
but its accessible

did your pump work before and then just stopped sucking water from the tank?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #6

Smile water pressure

If you have the same filter as I you should see the filter element thru the filter housing. I used the wrench that was suppiled with the RV when I took delivery. Opened the filter housing took the filter to the RV store and bought a replacement cartrage ( I think Home Depot has the cartrage too. I don't know the name but it is a whole house in line filter). When I reasembled the housing I used some tefflon tape on the threads of the housing. Be careful it is plastic and could break. Hope this is helpful.
05 Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I can disconnect the hose from the tank, hook it to another source of water and the pump will pump the water thru the system.
If this is truly the case, it almost sounds like the suction line is hooked up wrong. Either that or as mentioned earlier, the suction line is kinked or blocked.

The tank should be located close to the inlet.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #8

Are you sure the by pass valve isn't open? Its down usually by the pump and is used to flush RV antifreeze through the system.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #9

It sounds like the bypass valve to me also. On my first trip with mine I had the same problem. I watched the video I took of the dealer walk through and guess what? I found it.
Frank