Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Exclamation Fresh water tank. Sagging. Loose.

We have a Wildcat FLR 34 2010. I have had some issues with the tank level indicators and removed the bottom panel behind the axels to access the fresh water and black water tanks. I discovered that the 55 x 27 x 8 inch (47 gal) tank is resting on 2 - 1 1/2 inch angle irons. It is not fastened to the frame anywhere at all. The bottom of the tank has sagged close to 3 inches (when less than 1/3 full of water) and is partially resting on the bar for the rear stabilizer.

I think the tank manufacturer is Ameri-Kart. In their installation instructions, it says that tanks over 30 gallons have to be enclosed on all sides and bottom. Material suggested is .5 to .75 " plywood.

Is this how Forest River intended to install these tanks or is this a manufacturing error?

Has anyone had similar issues?
cheryos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
jsk

I had this problem on a Wildcat I had. I dropped the underbelly and cut a piece of Advantech subfloor to go underneath the entire tank. I attached the anlge iron to the frame. The tank is now completely supported. After installing I shortened the fill hose to the tank - it was way to long. While the belly is off look around for anything that is rubbbing where it should not be. I found my watr line to the tank was about to spring a leak because it was rubbing on the slide assembly. I can send a few pics if that would help.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Thanks for your fast reply although it is a bummer to hear that there is history of this happening. Was yours under warranty? We know it will be at least 3 weeks before we could get it in for any warranty work so that is a pretty frustrating situation.
cheryos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
jsk

It was not warranty work - I did it myself and took an afternoon start to finish. If you go to the wildcatcamperforum website you will find some conversation about it and will be able to see what some people did. Do not get discouraged. I view it as a part of rv ownership. Good luck.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Along this same line: I recently had to access my grey and black water valves which were hidden from view by the underbelly sheet metal. Once I had removed two sections of metal I discovered that the grey water tank was held up by a piece of metal shaped like a square "Z" and was attached at each end by one self drilling screw into the frame. BUT--the way they put the screw into one corner of the flat piece welded to the end of the "Z" bar, it allowed the "Z" bar to rotate and the grey tank had dropped on the back end. I put the tank back into position and added an extra screw to each end. I checked the black tank and it was the same way so I fixed that also. Forest River had a bad design on this system IMO. 2000 FR Grand Surveyor GS291.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

That has to be irritating.
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote