Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnaird View Post
silly question, exactly where do I drain and refill. Yes, I am a woman. Location, etc.
Depends on the unit you have. Need to tell us year, make, and model so that the question can be answered correctly.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
Let me ask a question here. My rig is just under 2 years old. I have not at this point treated the fresh water tank. I always use an external in-line filter when filling my tank, and I fill the tank every time we camp. I then drain all remaining water every time we get back to the storage. So far the water smells and tastes fine, although we usually don't drink much of it. Is it possible that I don't need any additional water treatment, or is it just a matter of time?

It's really a moot point because I plan to start treating when we get to the camprground this evening. Just wanted to get thoughts from others.
Been draining mine when we get home also. Started doing it a couple years ago- found that leaving water in it gets that nasty smell from the plastic plumbing pipes. Don't drain the hot water heater, but I do go one step further and blow the lines out with air, just like when I'm going to winterize. Was never a big fan of the bleach thing, we're country folks with our own well and the wife says we have the best water in the world, so no funny taste for us! we also don't usually carry a lot of fresh water- enough to use the facilities on the road if we have to, and that's about it. Used to use the fresh water tank to make coffee in the morning, but I'm over that too- too old to climb under there to the drain every morning

Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnaird View Post
silly question, exactly where do I drain and refill. Yes, I am a woman. Location, etc.

Not a silly question at all because all units are different. Let us know what model camper you have to better answer the question. Depending on the type, the drain will be somewhere near the tank location. The filler tube will be close to the city water connection and is probably on the left or street side of the camper. Some are in the back and I have seen a few on the curb or right side for some reason.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #14

find yourself a full hook up site.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
find yourself a full hook up site.

Was there a point to this? What does this have to do with this thread?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #16

I think this depends on location. Bleach is great for killing some things, but there are even municipal water supplies where cryptosporidium is present. Even 100% bleach won't kill these buggers. Filtering to less than one micron (meaning probably a ceramic filter) is one way to prevent some problems. Ultravoilet lights can be used to sterilze water and prevent algae accumulation in tanks.

I think that what you do about water depends on where you are, what your source(s) of water are and how you use the unit. If you are only filling your water tanks from home, your municipal water source doesn't have crypo issues and you do a routine clean annually you're ok. I am thinking about a ceramic filter (after a prefilter for sediment) because the water sources we're using are not necessarily municipal. If we have problems with algae I'd consider a UV light.

We've been emptying the freshwater tank between trips (using it to flush the black/grey tanks). I suspect emptying the tank helps keep water in better shape vs leaving some water in there all the time.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #17

We have added a brita filture on our kitchen water tap in the camper just for added freshness. Our camper also seems to have a water line cartridge filture which we are planning to change for the first time this week.
I am guessing that I can buy the water tank freshener called "taste pure" at camping world?

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #18

any special technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
I do go one step further and blow the lines out with air, just like when I'm going to winterize.
When we had a beach cottage we blew out the lines in the fall to prevent damage from water freezing in the lines. Didn't use any special fittings but did blow from every connection (including the dishwasher). So I'm wondering where you put in the air to blow out the lines and if you are using any special fitting or connection.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
We have added a brita filture on our kitchen water tap in the camper just for added freshness. Our camper also seems to have a water line cartridge filture which we are planning to change for the first time this week.
I am guessing that I can buy the water tank freshener called "taste pure" at camping world?
Yes. You can also find it with the RV supplies in Walmart and Menards stores.

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
When we had a beach cottage we blew out the lines in the fall to prevent damage from water freezing in the lines. Didn't use any special fittings but did blow from every connection (including the dishwasher). So I'm wondering where you put in the air to blow out the lines and if you are using any special fitting or connection.
Susan,

You can buy a fitting at most RV supply stores that screws into the city water inlet and has a tire stem in the middle of it. You use a clamp on hose chuck which can be clamped to the valve stem so you don't have to have anyone stand there and hold it.

Set the compressor regulator to around 45lbs pressure and then go into the RV and open each faucet one at a time until no more water is present. Also open the shower, flush the toilet, etc. etc. Very easy. I always have winterized my RVs this way and never had a problem. I will not use antifreeze in the line as it is costly and way to hard to remove in the spring time.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 berkshire