Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Fresh Water - to treat it or not ?

Iím wondering a couple things on what others do with their fresh water tanks. Should I be adding something to keep the water fresh and to keep it half decent and healthy ? Different people tell me to do different things including not doing anything. What do some of you do ? Iíve been adding a couple caps of bleach. I also have a filter. Also if treating the tank what is the easiest way to add to it ? I try and add thru the fill up in spout and end up most times spilling half it etc. Thanks.....Ron

Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #2

You need to sanitize the lines at least once a year, usually in Spring, which it appears you are doing. To get the bleach into the tank, pour it into the end of the hose, connect the hose to the spigot, and turn it on. That gets the bleach into the tank. Once the tank is full, then run water from the tank throughout the lines, opening each faucet one at a time. When you smell the bleach coming out, turn it off. Let sit for at least two hours, overnight if possible. Dump and fill with clean water, then dump again, This should clear out the taste of bleach from the lines. After the bleaching, mix up a baking soda solution and run through the lines. This will get rid of the chlorine taste you might have. Once this is done, you should be good for the season. Do not use too much bleach. About 1/2 cup per 30 gallons is all you need.

I suggest not keeping water in the tank unless you plan on dry camping. There is no point in having it in there except when you are actually using it. If we are traveling to a site with water, we don't put any in it at all. Saves weight. If you plan to dry camp overnight on a trip, then you would need to carry water, but don't fill the tank until the night before you plan to leave. If the tank is properly sanitized, you won't have to do anything else.

For drinking purposes,coffee or tea making, we still take water in jugs from home. No matter how much you sanitize the water lines, it still doesn't taste as good as the same water does from the house faucets.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #3

x2

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

thanks Kim. Very good info on what I was requiring.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm View Post
I’m wondering a couple things on what others do with their fresh water tanks. Should I be adding something to keep the water fresh and to keep it half decent and healthy ? Different people tell me to do different things including not doing anything. What do some of you do ? I’ve been adding a couple caps of bleach. I also have a filter. Also if treating the tank what is the easiest way to add to it ? I try and add thru the fill up in spout and end up most times spilling half it etc. Thanks.....Ron
Agree with Hokiehall. After you sanitize it is a good idea to drain the tank, and mix a baking soda solution into the water you will fill back in the tank. Here is how I did it: mix a large box of baking soda into about 2.5 gallons of boiling water (I did about a gallon at a time). You will need to keep stirring until the Baking Soda dissolves. Pour that mixture into your holding tank (after it cools). Then add the rest of the water into the tank. Works great-no "smell" in the water at all.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #6

I have used the bleach/baking soda technique for 30 years when the water started tasting funny in our rigs but now just add the recommended amount of Taste Pure at each fill up. Has worked great for several years now.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Let me ask a question here. My rig is just under 2 years old. I have not at this point treated the fresh water tank. I always use an external in-line filter when filling my tank, and I fill the tank every time we camp. I then drain all remaining water every time we get back to the storage. So far the water smells and tastes fine, although we usually don't drink much of it. Is it possible that I don't need any additional water treatment, or is it just a matter of time?

It's really a moot point because I plan to start treating when we get to the camprground this evening. Just wanted to get thoughts from others.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
Let me ask a question here. My rig is just under 2 years old. I have not at this point treated the fresh water tank. I always use an external in-line filter when filling my tank, and I fill the tank every time we camp. I then drain all remaining water every time we get back to the storage. So far the water smells and tastes fine, although we usually don't drink much of it. Is it possible that I don't need any additional water treatment, or is it just a matter of time?

It's really a moot point because I plan to start treating when we get to the camprground this evening. Just wanted to get thoughts from others.
Sanitizing it once a year is recommended. Even though you drain it, there will still be some residual moisture in it for a while, which is a prime mold growing environment. Sanitizing it helps take care of this so I suggest you go ahead and sanitize it just to be on the safe side.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
You need to sanitize the lines at least once a year, usually in Spring, which it appears you are doing. To get the bleach into the tank, pour it into the end of the hose, connect the hose to the spigot, and turn it on. That gets the bleach into the tank. Once the tank is full, then run water from the tank throughout the lines, opening each faucet one at a time. When you smell the bleach coming out, turn it off. Let sit for at least two hours, overnight if possible. Dump and fill with clean water, then dump again, This should clear out the taste of bleach from the lines. After the bleaching, mix up a baking soda solution and run through the lines. This will get rid of the chlorine taste you might have. Once this is done, you should be good for the season. Do not use too much bleach. About 1/2 cup per 30 gallons is all you need.

I suggest not keeping water in the tank unless you plan on dry camping. There is no point in having it in there except when you are actually using it. If we are traveling to a site with water, we don't put any in it at all. Saves weight. If you plan to dry camp overnight on a trip, then you would need to carry water, but don't fill the tank until the night before you plan to leave. If the tank is properly sanitized, you won't have to do anything else.

For drinking purposes,coffee or tea making, we still take water in jugs from home. No matter how much you sanitize the water lines, it still doesn't taste as good as the same water does from the house faucets.
I just joined this forum. I'm I glad!! You answered the question I've been puzzling over. What a simple solution. Physics and hydrology never were my strong suits in college or practice. I've been sanitizing the adobe dirt here at home trying to get clorox into the tank. Thanks again we'll soon be on the road without worrying about getting some unwanted illness.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #10

silly question, exactly where do I drain and refill. Yes, I am a woman. Location, etc.

Tags
2008 berkshire