Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Fresh water won't fill

OK, so we can't put water in the fresh water tank via the gravity fill. It will take so much then burps out as if full. Took it to the dealer once and they supposedly fixed a kinked hose, but it's doing it again. Of course we will take it back so they can do the job right this time, but going camping this weekend and need to get water into the tank. Anyone know of a hack to make this work? I looked underneath, if there is a kink in the line it's not anywhere that's visible. Must be behind a wall or something...

Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Just A Member

You may have water in the vent hose. The hose runs from top of water tank to the opening with the little screen by the water fill opening. Try blowing air into the vent hose thru the screen and see if you can get water to come out. It will also let you know if the hose is kinked if no air blows into the tank.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

I've seen this before and had the dealer supposedly fixed it. I've also taken the three screws out and pulled the plate out far enough to take a look. The vent hose disappears under the fridge.
What I have noticed though... if I stick the hose into the filler and just let it hang there, the water will come back out the filler neck and the tank won't be full.
IF, I push the hose in to the filler neck firmly, eventually, the water comes out the vent (not as fast as I'm putting water in) and so will a blast of air( I assume the tank is coming back to shape) ANYWAY, once it does that, you can hear the air escaping from the tank and then it will fill all the way until the water comes back out the vent, like you would expect. Leads me to think a good seal between the filler neck and the garden hose thread would be a plus
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Be careful adding water to fast with a plugged vent line. The tanks have been known to burst.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Be careful adding water to fast with a plugged vent line. The tanks have been known to burst.
OR, expand the tank so much that it will break the strap that holds it on. Don't ask me how I know ;-)
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Our Sunseeker just like our old TT will only accept water @ a very slow trickle,,, and then only if the vent is clear & the screen is clean !!! I use a step ladder to hold the hose and just let it run Very slowly,,, while I find other things to do !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

interesting comments. Think I'll pull out the converter under the fridge and just see what FR screwed up in the vent install. Probably a kinky vent that the dealer didn't really fix. Imagine that!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
interesting comments. Think I'll pull out the converter under the fridge and just see what FR screwed up in the vent install. Probably a kinky vent that the dealer didn't really fix. Imagine that!
There is a very good chance there is no kink,,,
I think it is just a poorly vented sys,,,
and I learned to deal with the Very slow fill many years ago !!!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

On mine I just have to slow down. Full pressure from the house tends to more than the lines can handle. And there's no kinks in mine, I've checked. But if I use one of these:

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...off-valve/4674

Then I can set it it to run about 1/2 strength and it'll fill just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
On mine I just have to slow down. Full pressure from the house tends to more than the lines can handle. And there's no kinks in mine, I've checked. But if I use one of these:

Water Tank Filler with Shut-Off Valve - Camco 40003 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

Then I can set it it to run about 1/2 strength and it'll fill just fine.

BE VERY CARFULL with that filler,,,
Several years ago we were using one of those,,, the wife went to remove it from the filler tube,,, and the clear plastic hose fell into the FW tank,,, as far as I know it is still in that FW tank !!!

But I do use the yellow valve on the end of an inline filter !!!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
BE VERY CARFULL with that filler,,,
Several years ago we were using one of those,,, the wife went to remove it from the filler tube,,, and the clear plastic hose fell into the FW tank,,, as far as I know it is still in that FW tank !!!

But I do use the yellow valve on the end of an inline filter !!!

Yep, I've had it separate on me before too, but thankfully it didn't go in the tank. I've learned to first shut off the valve, then lift slightly so you pull it straight out. Trying to pull it out on an angle seems to have been the issue.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
OK, so we can't put water in the fresh water tank via the gravity fill. It will take so much then burps out as if full. Took it to the dealer once and they supposedly fixed a kinked hose, but it's doing it again. Of course we will take it back so they can do the job right this time, but going camping this weekend and need to get water into the tank. Anyone know of a hack to make this work? I looked underneath, if there is a kink in the line it's not anywhere that's visible. Must be behind a wall or something...

Thanks
Please share Make and Model of your unit.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:

Thanks
Is this a brand new trailer? When we first got ours the tank was installed with the tank fill hole higher than the exterior fill hole. Palomino sent me new piping so I could orient the tank the correct way on its side which made the tank lower than the outside fill hole.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:

Thanks

We encountered this same problem when we first started the initial fill of our new TT getting it ready for a weekend out. Water kept back flushing out like it was indicating the tank was full. Finally figured out it was not the case when I looked a t the FW tank level underneath. Although I was able to get quite a bit ( approx. 1/2 full ) water into the tank ,and yes, quite a bit on the ground while filling, but it worked well enough for the first time out.

After our outing, I located the hose inside the TT that fed into the FW tank and seen there were no kinks, obstacles, nothing to keep the water from flowing in. So I read ( on this site ) how another had used a 3 foot smaller hose, and inserted it down into the FW opening and was able to fill up their FW tank easily thereafter. What did I have to lose. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

I also purchased a water flow meter and attached it to the end of the smaller hose as to indicate the water volume going in. Have used it 3 times now and can fill up the FW tank with no problems, thanks to that smaller diameter hose and a mod suggestion from another on this forum. The meter is a P3 International Save A Drop Water Meter - P0550 purchased off eBay.
Attached Images

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
We encountered this same problem when we first started the initial fill of our new TT getting it ready for a weekend out. Water kept back flushing out like it was indicating the tank was full. Finally figured out it was not the case when I looked a t the FW tank level underneath. Although I was able to get quite a bit ( approx. 1/2 full ) water into the tank ,and yes, quite a bit on the ground while filling, but it worked well enough for the first time out.

After our outing, I located the hose inside the TT that fed into the FW tank and seen there were no kinks, obstacles, nothing to keep the water from flowing in. So I read ( on this site ) how another had used a 3 foot smaller hose, and inserted it down into the FW opening and was able to fill up their FW tank easily thereafter. What did I have to lose. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

I also purchased a water flow meter and attached it to the end of the smaller hose as to indicate the water volume going in. Have used it 3 times now and can fill up the FW tank with no problems, thanks to that smaller diameter hose and a mod suggestion from another on this forum.
That smaller 3' hoses stuffed in the filler neck makes sense to let the air out. Good to know about the camco filler coming apart
Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #16

We used to have this problem in both our Rockwood and now our Wildwood (to a lesser extent). I've solved the problem by buying about a 15 foot 1/2 inch diameter water hose and cutting off the nozzle end. I then snake the hose down to the bottom of the water tank and fill it slowly. Filling from the bottom up allows the air to escape easily and has solved the problem we had of severe and frequent "burping".

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #17

Unhappy

We just found out that the filler hose on our new Wildwood was going up.
DH opened panel under fridge and pushed down so it was flatter. The tank filled but now it won't drain!!

We also found out, after finding the screened opening filled with caulk that there isn't any breather tube going to the tank from the filler connection. Wa11y was good enough to tell me that the breather hose on this unit comes out of the top of the tank and drops down beside it.
Something new all the time.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #18
Site Team

To the OP who's trying to fill a fresh tank-
Have you tried this- You need a piece of garden hose that's at least 2 feet long with the male end cut off. Shove the hose into the fill port as far as
you can. Attach garden/drinking water hose and turn on faucet.
This can often "shoot" the water past the low point and into your tank.

I use cut off washing machine hoses because we never use the rubber hose that come with a new washer. We buy stainless braided hoses and use the rubber one's as bucket fillers in the garden and tank fillers in the RV!

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water