Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #41

We spend several weeks for Christmas every year in the Texas panhandle where nights can easily be in the low teen's but most days are above freezing.

We fill our fresh water tank and use the on board pump as needed. We just fill the tank and then stow the hose until we need it again. We've done this for years and never had a single issue.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We spend several weeks for Christmas every year in the Texas panhandle where nights can easily be in the low teen's but most days are above freezing.

We fill our fresh water tank and use the on board pump as needed. We just fill the tank and then stow the hose until we need it again. We've done this for years and never had a single issue.
I'm going to fill my just in case. I bought a heated water hose so I shouldn't have anymore issues with a frozen line. My spigots are just above ground so I'm not worried at all with those. Thanks for the reply.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I'm going to fill my just in case. I bought a heated water hose so I shouldn't have anymore issues with a frozen line. My spigots are just above ground so I'm not worried at all with those. Thanks for the reply.
If your hose froze (just above ground) so will the spigot.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #44

I don't live in my RV but I frequently cold camp in many campgrounds open all year. Temps get and stay below 0 frequently.

Full timers here put hard foam insulation skirting their RV and a small heater or light bulb to heat underneath. Some wrap the spigot in heat tape from their hoses but many campgrounds wrap the spigot for you. Others have built foam insulation boxes and tunnels around the spigot and hoses heating them all together from the power post. People use thermo cubes for power to automatically turn on heaters or bulbs underneath. The heat tape has it's own temp controls.

I found the bought heated hoses don't last very long for whatever reason. I just use a regular hose heat tape with 3-4ft it hanging out the spigot end and wrap with split foam wrapped in duct tape.

If you dont insulate your sewer hose many use the tanks until they can dump all at once. They will heat the valves with heat pads. The extended freezing temps mean using campground toilets a bit as they are heated and don't freeze.

Best of luck and I hope you don't need any of it for long.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #45

The weather —-

In addition to your heated hose etc the water source at the campsite ( pipe and faucet need to be “ Heat Taped “ or insulated . If the water pipe ( source) is
frozen a heated hose does no good . I also insulated where my water tank and
pipes are —- the other thing is I use small wattage heaters underneath where
my tank and lines are . No need to leave water running .
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #46

Frozen pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Two thoughts....
1 Put some water in your tank and use your water pump when it's gonna be below freezing at night.
2 Insulating the water spigot won't keep it from freezing. It might make it take a little longer to freeze. Wrapping the spigot with heat tape will keep it from freezing.

Good luck!
Heat tape and tape insulation over the spigot.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungechbub66 View Post
In addition to your heated hose etc the water source at the campsite ( pipe and faucet need to be “ Heat Taped “ or insulated . If the water pipe ( source) is
frozen a heated hose does no good . I also insulated where my water tank and
pipes are —- the other thing is I use small wattage heaters underneath where
my tank and lines are . No need to leave water running .
My tanks are hidden in the belly by aluminum and have heaters when needed I can turn on. All exterior pipes are wrapped in insulation so I should be in good shape. Thanks

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #48

Weatherman!

Many Many years ago we had a local weatherman that could not forecast rain.SO his solution was 40% chance of rain! When people on the street would see him and question his 40%. His reply was if it had rained,"Well there was a 40% chance of rain!" If it hadn't rained the reply was " Well there was Only a 40% chance!" The general response from most if not all of his nasayers was "Well Bob,why don't just say a 50% and we'll figure it out for ourselves!"
tomm1947 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water