Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

Fulltiming Sewer Hose Suggestions

Our daughter is fulltiming in the 2006 FR 26FK. We are on a large parcel and have a septic on the property. Her choice of locating the trailer puts her about 70' from the septic. Not a huge problem. But I was just sketching out the optimal sewer hose arrangement and wondering what others have done. Definitely getting a Y and a clear 45 degree. The TT has a black and gray from the bathroom and a grey from the kitchen. She rarely needs to empty the kitchen grey (I put the cap with the garden hose fitting on that and she waters the fruit trees, until winter) and the bathroom tanks she empties about monthly. Our current method is a mashup of leftover pieces from other RVs. We can get 100' of hose from Home Depot for $70. But then I read a few posts about the WasteMaster and Rhino Extreme having the smooth interior which sounds bomb-diggity! And of course we would need the fittings.
Please post your ideas and any pictures you have...Thank you!
briteday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #2

70' is a stretch for gravity feed, literally. We carry a Flojet macerator pump with 50' of 1" hose, just in case. I think it would handle 70' without trouble.
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-.../dp/B001HKZHIW
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Since this is a longer term use, why not use pvc pipe, sloped as needed, with adapters to fit the slinky ends. Or, use a macerator with hose.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #4

I would use a "Sewer Solution" and about 60' of 1" PVC buried or laid on the ground depending on it's permanence.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #5

Macerator with a hose it will be! Who knew? So after looking at a few it appears they recommend the clear 45 degree adapter, then the macerator, hose clamped to 1" tubing then step down to 3/4" or 5/8" garden hose.
Did you guys just add heavy gauge wire to reach the battery at the front of the TT?
Once your plumbing is set up, do you just open the black tank valve and let 'er rip or do you prime first with water? I assume after you clear the black tank then you let the grey tank flush out the lines and attach a hose to clean if necessary.
Anything else I should know?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Why reduce the hose size from 1" to 3/4" to 5/8"? Either 1" or 3/4" would work just fine, 5/8" over a long distance makes the pump work so much harder and could overload the motor. I have 6 ga. wires I salvaged elsewhere permanently connected to the batteries and protected with a 30 Amp inline fuse, I use the same cable on my 12 Volt air compressor. The pump itself comes with plenty of cable, you may be able to reach the batteries without using an extension.
The cam lock connectors in the pic are threaded to go directly onto a garden hose, makes hookup a breeze. The hose I use is a smooth reinforced discharge hose, but for a permanent install a cheap 70psi PE hose from the hardware store or HD would be sufficient.
If I was you I would make a trial run with water first before running the real stuff through, my pump was stuck when I bought it. I replaced the 25 Amp fuse in the pump and turned the pump with a flat blade screw driver - viola. Other than that, I wouldn't want to be without it. My pump is 3 years old and I have used it numerous times.
P.s.: No priming, gravity. The pump's propeller chews everything into nothing. I flush the pump with "clear" water before I put it away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_073121.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	176833  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you have enough slope, PVC drain pipe will work just fine. Nothing additional needed.

If not you will need to pump using some method for sure.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you have enough slope, PVC drain pipe will work just fine. Nothing additional needed.

If not you will need to pump using some method for sure.

What concerns me is the relatively small amount of water available to push the contents down the 70' long pipe.

The savings would be marginal, a 12' length of 3" ABS costs $30 cdn. plus the couplings and other fittings. The macerator pump with all the hose would cost him no more than $250 USD. Sure, a pump adds a mechanical/electrical component to the setup, but I had mine for 3 years now and I'm convinced it's built to last.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #9

I'll try to get to HD this weekend...the tank is showing 2/3 full. I'll look to see the options in 2" or 3" hose and pipe. In the past when fulltiming (she lived in our previous RV while in college) we don't let the black tank get completely full and before emptying would pour at least 5 gal of water down the toilet. It helps keep it clean (cuz, ya know kids) and adds to the liquid volume in the tank.

I like to have all the fittings before starting so will look for all of that. i like the cam lock connector and putting an inline fuse. I might also add an on/off switch if the macerator does not come with one. We probably have some wire laying around here that I can scavenge for the project. I had read in all of the reviews about testing the pump on the bench before real use.

This will be so much better than the sewer hose running downhill, springing more leaks of poop spray every time you use it. Sewer hoses are great if you are pulling up to the dump station once/month. But to drag it out from under the TT, lay it out over a long distance... they just don't hold up.

Thank you so much for all of the help. Will report back once we've had our "maiden voyage"!
Old 06-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Senior Senior Member

I have used my macerator for about three years now and it is great. You do need to be aware that the tank will empty quite slowly when using the pump. That can leave solids stranded and unless you have a way to flush a problem can "arise"
Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

We stay at our son's business a few times a year. I had a 50AMP plug put in and that's it.

When we get there we fill the fresh water tank and then again as needed.

For sewer it's about an 80' run up a very slight incline so kind of a double whammy. We too bought a Flo-Jet Macerator as previously mentioned and 2 50' 3/4" hoses and it works wonders.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #12

When I was in a site as a perm location, I used PVC pipe - 3 or 4 inch. I was not 70 feet however. They make rubber connectors that you can hook to your RV and you can connect multiple pipes. You will need to support it also. It worked well and I had no issues with it during the 2+ years I had it at that location. I was working at that location doing consulting work for a company and lived in the RV so it had daily use.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #13

Do a Search at the Top under"Garbage Disposal Macerator" and hook to 3/4 garden hose! Youroo!!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Largest hose size possible. If downhill, I would look into 3" thin wall pipe, schedule 125 should work fine. Bury it if possible or easy, to avoid tripping over it....lol. It will take a lot less time to dump. You could consider 1" i/d schedule 40 pvc as well. Just some ramblings from the cheaper side.....lol.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #15

Waiting for the macerator pump to show up...lost with Amazon/USPS since 6/25. bought 100' of 1" 100 psi hose at Home Depot. Waiting...
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #16

Well, since 6/25 the macerator is permanently lost in the mail system. Ordered thru Amazon from GK Wholesale and they were less than helpful. So ordering the Flojet this time. A bit more pricey, but ya gotta do what you gotta do. And it appears the Flojet will work fine with a garden hose. I'll have to figure out an electrical situation when it gets here as I think the wires are too short to make it to the tongue of the FK26. I'll either drag out a battery from the garage or add a longer set of wires.
Thinking about going to the ranch store to see about 1" hose.
Otherwise, daughter fulltiming in the RV is working out nicely. AC and all previous electrical problems are resolved. All systems working great. Gotta love it for a 2006 Wildwood! Next mission is to skirt the bottom before the cold weather comes and to protect the tires from the elements (though dry rot is more likely in our dry climate). If we have time before winter the awning fabric needs to be replaced. Good thing hubs retired at the end of June!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #17

Well, it's not the 1st time an order gets picked up by an unexpected customer along the line, we had that happen with a Breville breadmaker a few years ago, since then we order, if possible, gift wrapped to hide the contents.
For the wire, see if you can find used 50Amp rv cord at a dealer, you only need two wires but the wire is flexible and heavy enough to carry the current, you shouldn't need much of it for the pump, or try HD and buy 6 awg stranded wire by the foot.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #18

If you aren't 100% bought into a solution, have you looked at Valtera's Sewer Solution? It's a water powered macerator and has a much lower cost. If I recall, the advertising says it can handle pushing waste over 200 feet and up hill.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote