Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

FW tank filling up but not hooked up

We have been camping about a month. Have not hooked up fresh water because we don't need it. So everytime I check the tank lights, it's empty. Until yesterday. It was 2/3 rds full. We are thinking our grown son might have unscrewed the hose from the camper to wash off his 4 wheeler, then hooked it to fresh water, then eventually realized it was wrong, then hooked it back to city water. We weren't at the camper for about two days while they were here. But the crazy thing is we released the fw level down to 1/3 yesterday. Today it is at 2/3rds again. We are worried. Where the heck is that water coming from? We also had a slight leak (loose bolt or something like that) when we used the fresh water pump yesterday. (first time ever using it.) We have a 2015 Heritage Glen 302 fk. Any help is appreciated.
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 302 FK

War Eagle
Island Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
TGR

This is not an uncommon problem. The water pump has a built-in back flow preventer that is supposed to keep "city water" from back flowing into the fresh water holding tank. Sometimes this valve will stick or otherwise not work properly and water will trickle into the fresh water holding tank.

Try disconnecting the hose from city water and then turn on your pump to allow it to pump some water from the fresh water tank. Just a few seconds should be enough to get the valve to reposition itself or clear itself of any foreign material. Then turn off the pump and go back to the city water hookup. I'd try this a few times before messing with the water pump.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

With all you have said sounds like it is a issue with the F/W/Pump internal check valve! If hooked to (Some) city water it (Can/May) cause the check valve to malfunction if the Pump is turned on while city water pressure is also present! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

Oh my goodness, TGR. I have read so many posts about the valve sticking and it wasn't until your comment that I finally understand. I had no idea that the city water could in any way get into the fresh water tank. If we leave the fresh water release open under the camper, we shouldn't have any more problems for this trip and we can worry about it later. Is my thinking on this accurate? Thanks to both you and youroo.
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 302 FK

War Eagle
Island Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
TGR

It's too bad running your pump didn't fix the issue.

If you're referring to the fresh water tank drain as the release, then you won't have to worry too much about overflowing your tank but, depending on how much water flows into your fresh water tank and out the drain, you could be talking about several gallons draining from your fresh water tank and making a mess

Another option would be to use your water pump and fresh water tank instead of the city water connection or shutting off the city water when not using it. Maybe just relying on your pump and fresh water tank for intermittent use and using the city water for showers.

I frequently use my fresh water tank instead of the city water because my water from home tastes good and some camp-ground water isn't very tasty or perhaps too tasty for my liking.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

There is another option I have used in your situation and maybe you can to. If you have the winterization input hose with a selector valve to pump antifreeze with the pump and the antifreeze hose has a cap on it you could select winterization mode for the pump and the water will not backfill into your tank. It will be routed to the capped winterization hose. This should suffice till you can get a new pump or repair the one you have. It keeps water from entering the tank and causes no issues. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #7

Maybe the winterization is the issue. Are you sure you now have the city water feed in hose connected to the correct trailer inlet and not to the winterization inlet? I have heard of people quick filling their fresh water tank this way instead of through the gravity main fill port. The trick is to make sure your valves behind the panel to the pump are set properly. If they were setup to draw in antifreeze and nobody shut off the fresh water tank to pump inlet valve and just opened the antifreeze to pump inlet valve and left them both that way then depending on check valve location (or if there is a check) then hooking up city water to the antifreeze inlet will provide pressure to the trailer system as well as backfeed into the fresh water tank. Now that you are using the trailer you should ensure that this interior antifreeze line shutoff valve is shut and that the one to the tank is wide open (perhaps the latter had only been partially closed when winterizing or not at all).
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

I do not understand how or what you are trying to explain, you have to be hooked up to have water/ or you have to have water in the FW tank?
So let's go with the thought that you are hooked up to water, then this is simple, the valve you have to fill your FW tank is leaking (not very uncommon) and you will just need to keep on eye on the water until the valve is changed.
Now if you are not hooked up to water, then you have to have water in the tank to draw from and yes that amount with go up and down as it is used and refilled.
So please explain better so that you can get the correct answer to help you please.
Hope something helps you Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank