Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #1

Question FW tank vent/overflow design flaw?

I have a Georgetown class a and have discovered an issue with the vent line. I have seen many posts tonight about losing water while travelling through the vent/overflow line. Ours has the coil of hose to suposedly stop the draining but we can still lose 1/3 of our tank while travelling or parked on the front street.
What really concerned me is something I noticed today while filling it. I removed the inspection panel so I could investigate and found the vent/overflow was approximately 2/3 of the way up the side of the tank, not on top as I would have expected.
what I found was the tank started to balloon up as soon as the top of the line was cover (still quite a way from the filling the tank) because the air could not escape.
The tank was replaced under an extended warranty(so I had to pay a deductable) 2 years ago and no one could figure out what happened. I think the dealer figured I had done something.
does anyone know if there would be an adverse affect if I moved the vent/overflow to the top surface of the tank instead of the side?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #2

I think I saw this in another part of this forum. Double posted?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

I guess it was. I had found the thread from 09 then decided to start my own in case no see's the old one.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionracer View Post
I have a Georgetown class a and have discovered an issue with the vent line. I have seen many posts tonight about losing water while travelling through the vent/overflow line. Ours has the coil of hose to suposedly stop the draining but we can still lose 1/3 of our tank while travelling or parked on the front street.
What really concerned me is something I noticed today while filling it. I removed the inspection panel so I could investigate and found the vent/overflow was approximately 2/3 of the way up the side of the tank, not on top as I would have expected.
what I found was the tank started to balloon up as soon as the top of the line was cover (still quite a way from the filling the tank) because the air could not escape.
The tank was replaced under an extended warranty(so I had to pay a deductable) 2 years ago and no one could figure out what happened. I think the dealer figured I had done something.
does anyone know if there would be an adverse affect if I moved the vent/overflow to the top surface of the tank instead of the side?
It shouldn't present any problem unless you can't get the vent tubing routed back to allow air in. Is there sufficient room above the tank to route the vent tubing? The other possible problem is leakage at the old vent tube site. I'm not 100% sure of the materials the tank is made of so glues and/or adhesive may not stay intact?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote