Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Girard tank less water heater will not light

I have a girard tankless water heater in a 2012 wildcat sterling we bought ,it last fall so this weeekend. Was are first time out we could not get the water heater to work when you turn on the power switch on the unit outside the red light does not come on but the exhaust blower fan does come on i have check all the breakers and fuse,s that i can find we did turn on the hot water in the sinks to try to get it to kick on if you look into the flame port there is no flame and we do have propane as the furance and stove work all weekend it like the gas igniter does not work any ideas
thanks

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

I really don’t have much help for you. I would start the whole process over and see if it will heat the water. FYI the only time you will see a flame in the heater is when you have a hot water faucet turned on.

First turn the Girard off. Run water through all the faucets (both hot and cold) in your Sterling. I know you’ve done this already, do it again. Now turn the Girard back on and then set the mode switch to HIGH. Turn on the hot water faucet that is physically closest to the water heater and let it run until you get hot water.

If you still don't get hot water turn the Girard off and wait 5 seconds and try again.

If you still don’t get any hot water then I would suggest calling Girard directly at 1-866-559-1221

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

thanks but i going to call them today as i must have trieds that 20 times over the weekend
thought if there was some unkown fuse i missed after reading the manual this it looks like it has to have 12V for the ingniter but i,m not sure what the blower fan take as it does work and come on, but the the red power light does not come on
I bought it thru a dealer and have 11 days left on my warranty
try to save the 120 mile trip to the dealer

Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

I hope Girard can get the water heater working for you. Let us know how things turn out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Future Buyer

I have an Atwood tankless. Had a similar problem; no ignition & fan ran continously. There is a vacuum switch with a small tube that exits thru the access door to the outside. Tube got blocked with water. RV repair tech cleaned out tube, water heater started working. Hope this info helps.
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

try this

I had the same problem with mine. My problem was a limit switch on the exhaust. After fan stop blowing switch was to flip back. It did not. If I moved by hand it worked again. So put one little drop of silicone on the arm of switch. Worked perfectly. Hope this might help.
lewdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

Have ypu tried pressing the reset button. When you look into the water heater, on the left side towards the back is a little white round switchthat has a button on the front. Try pressing that. It should lite after you reset the high limit switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

If this is the first time you are using the RV this year then you may want to try lighting the stove and make sure the burner lights all the way around. Air gets in the propane gas line and has trouble lighting.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

Micro swtch

We also had a problem with the exhaust micro switch and adjusted. Now it works but you have to use about 2 gallons of water before it gets hot.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

We had problems with getting hot water until we learned to turn on faucet just enough to get heater to work. Let it go until the trickle feels hot then turn on the water more to get the temp adjusted. Used a lot less water. Also learned that the high setting worked great for all uses except showering. Then we use the low setting to maintain a better temperature.
lewdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #11
Tyler & Connie Foxx

We have an Atwood tankless HW heater, we had problems getting it to light, staying lit, and producing any hot water at all! Then we found out quite by accident that it was the gas regulator!!! The stove and furnace worked fine, but the water heater wouldn't work until the gas regulator got replaced by the gas company when we parked at the campgrounds for the season and they brought out a larger 120 pound tank. Now we have more hot water then you could ever ask for.
FoxxLandArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

ok here is what we found first the ground wire for the red power light was off
the there was another wire to the flow sensor that was not making contact , got it to light and run but still no hot water or pressure in RV and if on running on the pump it would just rum and never shut of or build pressure with everything shut off that ended up being the freeze sensor thinking it was below 32 degrees so the thank would just circulate with in itself so we just upluged that now every thing seems to work fine well see this weekend
thanks to all

Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #13

Thanks for coming back with an update. Here's hoping the rest of your season is trouble free.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 05-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Have ypu tried pressing the reset button. When you look into the water heater, on the left side towards the back is a little white round switchthat has a button on the front. Try pressing that. It should lite after you reset the high limit switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I had that problem first trip out. Ended jumping out high limit for remainder of trip leaving only low limit in play. Got tired having to go outside to reset every time using hot water. Worked fine after that.

Tags
heater, light, tank, water, water heater