Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
GB

Gray 1 Overflow to Gray 2

Hello fellow campers. We have a new Wildwood 327RE with two 30 gal gray tanks. After just a couple of days gray 1 (bathroom) is almost full but gray 2 (galley) is almost empty. If we keep filling the gray 1 tank will it overflow to the gray 2 tank?

We just upgraded from an Outback which had only one 30 gal gray tank and thought the Wildwood would give us more days of gray storage. If gray 1 doesn't overflow to gray 2 then the upgrade has not benefitted us much.

Thanks for your input. GB
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

On my 5er, I connected the galley tank to the grey tank with hard piping and I can, but don't, open both tanks and fill both. I just fill them independently and empty them independently also. I also added a valve at the outlet to be able to fill them at the same time and the added valve also keeps from having a surprise when the cap is removed.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I also added a valve at the outlet to be able to fill them at the same time and the added valve also keeps from having a surprise when the cap is removed.
I also added one for the same reason. I haven't tried it, but I see no reason that with this valve shut, you couldn't open both grays and let the water level itself. Have you done this?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I also added one for the same reason. I haven't tried it, but I see no reason that with this valve shut, you couldn't open both grays and let the water level itself. Have you done this?
Once or twice, but with my CRS, I don't. With CRS, I'd probably forget and open the black tank and I sure don't want to mix the 3.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #5

I'm going to have to try it sometime. Might make a difference of being able to squeeze in a couple more showers instead of getting the toter our.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

My wildcat 295 new 2016 has the 2 grey tanks. I made sure black was completely shut and opened both Greyson to share/level them. To my surprise they both emptied and filled the Black. The black had been at 1/3. I guess the pressure of the two greys pushed into the black.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
My wildcat 295 new 2016 has the 2 grey tanks. I made sure black was completely shut and opened both Greyson to share/level them. To my surprise they both emptied and filled the Black. The black had been at 1/3. I guess the pressure of the two greys pushed into the black.
Suspect the bt valve was not closed. Outside pressure will not overcome a closed valve.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Suspect the bt valve was not closed. Outside pressure will not overcome a closed valve.
It's a new trailer with a dock cabinet that has all three controls as 3 side by side handles. I'm sure the Bt was pushed all the way in. Because it's new my fear is that it's not properly installed. Having the dealer check it.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
GB

Thanks

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Opening both gray valves should work provided both gray tanks are at the same level. I'm worried that the bathroom tank is mounted higher than the galley tank which would result in overfilling the galley tank. I'm disappointed that the only difference between this RV with 60 gal. of gray capacity and our previous RV with a single 30 gal. tank is that we get to wash more dishes. It would be much better if the gray was just one big 60 gal. tank instead of two 30 gal. ones. GB
Old 03-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
GB

The handles could be mislabeled. They are on mine, black is labeled gray and gray is labeled black. I could tell because I have a clear hose adapter on my sewer line. When I pulled the handle labeled black clear water came out. I quickly closed it and pulled the handle labeled gray and the crappy water came out.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #11

grey Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
The handles could be mislabeled. They are on mine, black is labeled gray and gray is labeled black. I could tell because I have a clear hose adapter on my sewer line. When I pulled the handle labeled black clear water came out. I quickly closed it and pulled the handle labeled gray and the crappy water came out.
My grey tank handles are reversed,,,,,,,2014 29RE......How could this happen at FR/CC???? I guess I am not the only one who has had this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I assume dealer does not "PDI" this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
In mine the two grey tanks are not plumed together. If they were, why is there seperate handles? Seems to me there would be less plumbing when there built. But, I think because of underneath areas in which to put tanks, the 3 were easier and weight distribution is better for those that travel 'wet'.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
My grey tank handles are reversed,,,,,,,2014 29RE......How could this happen at FR/CC???? I guess I am not the only one who has had this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I assume dealer does not "PDI" this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rude awaking?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote