Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Gray and galley tanks

I have a 2013 Salem 32bhds. It appears that my kitchen sink, shower and bathroom sink are draining into my galley tank. The outdoor kitchen sink is the only thing draining into my gray water tank. Is this normal?
salem 32bhds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds normal in a way. Must have 3 tanks, 2 gray, one black. The galley and the gray are all gray water, so pretty normal. The only thing in the black tank is the toilet, on almost all models.

And WELCOME by the way.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #3

The problem I am having, is my galley tank is filling after two showers and 1 load of dishes and my gray tank never fills. It seems to me that the shower should be draining to the tank with the outside kitchen sink? They tell me that each tank holds 35 gals? I had a smaller camper with smaller holding tanks before and never had this issue. I thought the galley was for sinks and the gray was for the shower?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #4

Are you sure there full or just a bad probe? I had same problem, on of the probes installed wrong. Dealer installed a new prob at a different height. It works alot better now.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem 32bhds View Post
The problem I am having, is my galley tank is filling after two showers and 1 load of dishes and my gray tank never fills. It seems to me that the shower should be draining to the tank with the outside kitchen sink? They tell me that each tank holds 35 gals? I had a smaller camper with smaller holding tanks before and never had this issue. I thought the galley was for sinks and the gray was for the shower?
Depending on the length of your showers, this could be correct. A "normal" shower can use a lot of water even with the low flow restrictors used in RVs.

"Navy" showers will work a lot better with a 35 gallon tank.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-26746.html

I am dealing with a "crudded" up tank now.
This is not an "indicator" problem but a dirty tank problem.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

Hey,the Navy has a lot more water than the USAF! Youroo!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey,the Navy has a lot more water than the USAF! Youroo!
UGh, it is salt water. Fresh water in a Navy ship is a luxury beyond price; they tell me. The Holiday Inn has plenty of fresh water for the Air Force.

An Army shower means you use clean mud, I am told.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the post. I know the tanks are full because they are not draining into the tank after it reads full as the water is staying in the shower and kitchen sink. being as the kitchen sink and the shower are the two most used items in a camper i think it would make since that they go to diffrent tanks?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #9

Any chance you can get under there and plumb the two together? I found room under my TT (much better now).
n2_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #10

Looks like you are going to have to learn real fast what "less water is more" is all about. Wet yourself down, shut water off, soap up, turn water on, rinse off, turn water off. Dishes - Little soap water in the sink, wash dish, rinse shut water off, repeat. These tanks are not that big. Only other thing you can do is always get a full hookup site and keep dumping but make sure you fill back up before you want to dump your black tank for rinsing purposes.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #11

Navy shower

Herk, I resemble that Navy water remark.
I used to make the fresh water on my first ship, ran two 12,000 gallon per day 2 stage flash type distilling units. Located in the engine room, 110-120* working there most times when operating down near the Equator. Fresh water is down right precious on a small ship. Boilers take first priority then the crew. No water for boiler, no steam. No steam, ship does not move, bad ju-ju... First deployment we had one distilling unit break down, went on "water hours". Crew could wash hands, brush teeth, and shave. No showers for about a week before we got things fixed. We were quite fragrant... Then after things were fixed we at first had a Master At Arms standing by the shower with a watch, you had a total of 90 seconds of running water, no more. THAT was a Navy shower.

To the original post, depending on where your shower is located the factory may have plumbed the shower to the galley tank instead of the grey tank. They probably did this because the shower is on one side of the unit and the grey tank is way the hey over on the other side. My Sunseeker is set up this way. We shower at the campground facilities and keep an eye on the "notional" galley tank level on the indicator panel, hit 2/3 and dump. No worries, mon.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote