Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Gray Tank Drain Valve

Our main gray tank has always dribbled (we've had the trailer for about 9-months now) but we always dump the tanks before leaving so it hasn't been an issue. (And I put an extra valve on the end of the sewer line to prevent dribbling.)

Anyway, I was looking at the gray valve release yesterday and noticed it does not push all the way in...so that's the dribble.

Question: Since it's new, I think they may be something stuck in there so I'm going to try flushing it while it wide open. If that doesn't fix it, I can remove the 4 bolts to check it out but should I have a replacement, first, in case I need to swap it out?

I've been watching youtube videos and also learned that we're supposed to be lubricating the metal rod that pulls out of the drain valves with silicone (but not WD40...I don't even own WD40, it's crap).
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

They are gate valves and should be lubricated with silicone as you said. They stick partially open and this is easy to fix. You can get silicone lube (not caulk) at most swimming pool stores. Lube the slider and the metal rod and they should work well. I repaired spas for a local shop (after retiring from the AF) and must have saved hundreds of gate valves just by lubing them. I doubt you need a new valve.
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

I have the same problem with Columbus 325RL black water drain cable. Found the drain cable chaffing where it goes through the RV frame until it binds the cable. Also retired USAF
chiefbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETCHIEF View Post
They are gate valves and should be lubricated with silicone as you said. They stick partially open and this is easy to fix. You can get silicone lube (not caulk) at most swimming pool stores. Lube the slider and the metal rod and they should work well. I repaired spas for a local shop (after retiring from the AF) and must have saved hundreds of gate valves just by lubing them. I doubt you need a new valve.
Additionally the gate slides between 2 rubber gaskets and they are replaceable independently without having to buy the complete valve assembly.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #5

Our galley valve we haven't been able to open since we bout our new Blueridge in March. The galley tank filled and the kitchen sinks wouldn't drain. My husband tried to open the valve and the bolt sheared off. So would that silicone help get the valve open do you think? We have a trip planned for the 4th and hate to cancel because of this. We're still under warranty .
Scasey1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Stuck valve

If the shaft broke where the "T" handle attaches you will have to replace the valve as it probably won't close after you get it open. There are four bolts and nuts that hold the valve together. If you remove them the valve will come apart. Call a local pool company and see if they can help.
2015 Ram Big Horn
Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

Broken galley valve

I was thinking if we could get it open, we could just leave the sewer hose on the galley til we're ready to dump the other tanks. We've always dumped everything whenever we go out. But since buying the 5th wheel, could never get this valve to open. We store our 5er in a lot with little room and no dump station so hard to do anything except when we're out. The fix looks pretty straightforward but I'm not sure how accessible the valve is if you're on the ground. Since we're taking it in later in the month, we figured we'd get that fixed as part of the other stuff we need to have looked at under warranty.
Scasey1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Here is what a gate valve looks like when taken apart. The "O" rings are replaceable and inexpensive. Hope this helps.
2015 Ram Big Horn

Tags
drain, tank