Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Gray tank leaking from top or side?

I'm pretty sure my trailer's primary gray tank (under the bathroom for the shower and sink) is leaking. Once the tank is about half full steadily drips down the side and off the bottom of the tank. I attached some photos below that show what I see.

I first noticed the issue last year at one of our first camping trips after buying the trailer, and thought my shower drain was leaking through the floor and water was collecting (then later leaking down) from the top of the gray tank and then running off. Well let me rephrase... my shower drain WAS leaking and I fixed that with some new plumber's putty & re-tightened the drain to the shower floor. But this last weekend the underbody dripping began again.

When I get underneath the trailer and eyeball the tank, it (the tank) really seems squeezed in tight between support beams. Could one of those beams have rubbed through the surface of the tank and caused a puncture? I can't really see any way to inspect this and find the leak without removing the entire tank. I'm not sure if that is a worthwhile endeavor or not, for a fairly slow leak of "clean" gray water.

Anyone ever dealt with this sort of issue?

- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

I noticed a similar leak on mine last trip out once it was full. I'm guessing the trailer is tilted slightly in what ever direction the leak is moving. It's probably leaking from the inlet into the tank. That's my guess anyway. Mine is slow too. Just a few suds on the ground.

Here's a photo of mine.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Mine only seemed to be about halfway full, based on the tank sensors... between the 1/3 and 2/3 mark. Three showers had been taken, which is about right to get to halfway on mine. It's also been suggested that the inlet is leaking, which would make more sense if the tank was completely full. My trailer parks in my second driveway year-round when not camping, so I probably ought to fill the tank slowly to see when the dripping starts.

I'm not overly concerned about "clean" gray water dripping, but I don't want to ignore a problem that's going to get worse and possibly cause a larger failure eventually.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

That was my thing too. Not wanting to just ignore it. I worried about pooling in the fabric stuff underneath and getting moldy etc if it's sitting stagnant. I'll be taking mine in maybe in July. I'll be sure and follow up on here after.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

My gray tank was leaking on a Cougar I had several years ago. I dropped the tank and found a 4" crack on the side of it near the top. I drilled a small hole at both ends of the crack, sanded and roughed it up pretty good about 2" all around it and welded it up with a soldering iron and strips from a plastic milk jug. I also added support when I reinstalled the tank. After a couple of years and many trips still no leaks when I sold it.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

What was the process like to drop the tank? That seems a little daunting, but I suppose only because I have no idea of how it's connected on the top side.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

On my old TT i dropped the Tank, it was held up by metal band supports, I removed the band supports and disconnected the side inlet and it came right off. I fixed the crack with plasti mend. Plasti mend only works with ABS but it is a great product. Never had another leak in the 3 years I owned that trailer

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #8

could be a poor seal where the drain pipe enters the tank. or as I found out with mine a cracked abs elbowClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465183784.402165.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	110261

you dont want any leaks. mwet insulation doesnt dry out.

2002 Chev 1500HD
2012 Cherokee 235B

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ariek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

How are those pipes attached to the top of the tank? Will it pop out if I lower the tank (still not sure how to do that on mine) or flex enough so I can unfasten any clamps or screws?
Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #10

probably the tank has thick rubber grommets that the pipes fit into. you should be able to carefully wiggle it out. Easier to take the tank out than to get it back in.

2002 Chev 1500HD
2012 Cherokee 235B

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ariek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariek View Post
Easier to take the tank out than to get it back in.
Heh ok... so what's the best way to get it back in?

And if I had a shop do this inspection/fix, anyone know what kind of labor would be involved? Obviously that depends on where the problem is.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #12

I view this as a "feature", especially at sites without sewer hookup.. your gray will slowly empty, so you'll never fill it up!!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172av8r View Post
I view this as a "feature", especially at sites without sewer hookup.. your gray will slowly empty, so you'll never fill it up!!
Trust me, I am thinking about that aspect of things too. If water is not getting anywhere else it's not supposed to, my concern level is minimal as long as the leak doesn't worsen.

I'm following ongoing thread here and will see how the gray tank patching goes.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #14

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS Class C motor home that is similarly leaking from the top of the gray tank. It seems to be leaking no matter how full or empty the tank is.

I was looking to drop the tank to see where the leak was coming from. While the exterior portion of the tank looks pretty straightforward, I need to figure out the best way to disconnect the plumbing in the interior.

It appears the drain line runs behind the bathroom vanity and dumps into the tank. Would cutting the drain line behind the vanity allow for the tank to be dropped? Or, would I be able to access any fittings, etc. from behind the vanity? Thanks.
hatteras8926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #15

Hmmm, a thought: Somehow make sure your gray tank is empty. Attach a water hose to the city water inlet with a water meter inline, available at Amazon and eBay. Turn the water to the tub on slowly. Go outside and watch the water meter to see how much water is coming out of the tub spout which would be water going in to the gray tank. Watch to see when the water starts to drip under the camper and at that point shut off the water at the outside spigot. This should give you a close approximate of how many gallons go in to the gray tank to cause the leak. IF the leak stops shortly after turning off the city water then you know for sure the water in the grey tank has reached the point where the water is leaking out. As others have stated it may surprise you that the grey tank is almost full when the water starts to appear under the camper. This would indicate that the seal between the gray water line from the bath and that grey tank is leaking. IF the amount of water going in to the tank is say about half full and you see the leak then you do have some type of crack or something causing the leak. Good Luck

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #16

The black tank on my Forester appeared to be leaking from the top and from one of the tank sensors. I silicone the sensor and no more leak there.

Apparently, leaking from the top is not uncommon. The seal where the pipe enters the tank is frequently not well sealed. It would leak when full. The dealer's answer; dump at 3/4. When I mentioned this to a 5th wheel owner, he said his did the same thing.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Thank you for the responses.

I drained the gray tank after my last trip in November. The next weekend, I put about three gallons of antifreeze through the system. Some of the antifreeze leaked out of the top of the gray tank.

Based on this thread, I'm thinking it's the connection between the drain pipe and tank (or maybe that's where I should start). Or, it's something with the drain pipe in that area.

What would be the easiest/best way to access the top of the tank or where the drain line enters the gray tank?
hatteras8926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank, grey water