Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Gray water

I'm new to the rv world, I've put camco sanitizer in both tanks during camping stays and I noticed a white gel substance when I emptied the Grey tank, this may be from the the camco stuff and may be bad. Any thoughts
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

If you actually meant what you said “sanitizer”, then you are putting the wrong stuff in the wrong tank. Sanitizer is for your fresh water tank. Your black tank and MAYBE your gray tank should get a deodorizer and “enzyme” additive to de-stinkificate* and help break down solid waste and toilet paper. Since the gray tank only gets debris from dish washing and soap from showering, it seldom needs attention. Also, a black tank flush can help. They are easy to install on a towable.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

You only need to sanitize your fresh water tank once per season. Unless you have a weird odor coming up from your sinks, your gray is fine with just emptying it. There are many different methods for dealing with your black tank. I treat mine with those drop in tank treatment packs and always give it a good rinsing out every time I dump.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #4

You sanitize the fresh water tank using bleach once a year.
Dunp in digestive tabs or packets down the toilet after each dump followed with 5 gallons of water. Thats it.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
I'm new to the rv world, I've put camco sanitizer in both tanks during camping stays and I noticed a white gel substance when I emptied the Grey tank, this may be from the the camco stuff and may be bad. Any thoughts
I had a similar situation with the 2014 Avenger I bought this spring. The first time I emptied the grey tank the water was milky looking, which was weird since I only use Dawn and Pears, a glycerin soap. Usually my grey water is exactly that, grey. I put a dose of TSP that I usually use in the black tank down the bathtub drain. The second time I drained the grey tank big globs of what looked like Crisco came out. Same thing on the third and fourth emptyings, though less each time. I know the previous owner had the camper set up on a seasonal lot and I'm guessing she just left the valve open and there was a lot of soap scum buildup. Some soaps, shampoos, and conditioners are more prone to buildup in your grey tank, just like they are in your pipes at home.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

I should have been a little more specific. I use camco tst rv toilet treatment 1 -4oz bottle per 40 gal. Poured the whole bottle in the
black tank which did not seem to break down the waste, chunks came flushing out after 2 days, half bottle in the Grey tank and that's when I noticed the white gel or crisco come out, anyway I flush out both tanks by sticking a garden hose up its butt and down its throat, it's clean now. So I'm going to try a different brand or whatever you suggest
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
If you emptied the grey water tank after the black water tank, you might be getting the white gel substance that had been stuck in the pipe. Might be dissolved toilet tissue from the toilet, soap residue or possibly grease from the dishes.
As a personal preference, we tend to use paper towels and clean most of the food from the dishes before we wash them. It's a hold over from when we used to tent camp and it helps keep the grey tank cleaner.

Tags
water