Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Cool Gray Water Drains

I just picked up my new 8285WS. It has a gray water drain for the bath/shower, along with the black water drain and one for the kitchen sink. Are there two gray water tanks? I have never seen a drain hose with a "Y" to allow for two drains. Or do you drain the bath tanks then the kitchen?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I just picked up my new 8285WS. It has a gray water drain for the bath/shower, along with the black water drain and one for the kitchen sink. Are there two gray water tanks? I have never seen a drain hose with a "Y" to allow for two drains. Or do you drain the bath tanks then the kitchen?

On my Salem we have black tank and shower grey come to a comman outlet and kitchen sink comes from a seperate grey tank up front.

When I drain the tanks I dump the black first...then the shower grey...then the kitchen grey from the second drain.

BOB
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Smile Gray water drains

Thanks Bob,
That's what I figured.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #4

Hi fellow 8285 owner, I bought mine last year and was surprised the first time I went to empty it I drained the front GW/BW tank then moved the trailer up a bit to empty the galley GW tank, My question is which Handel is witch. Theynare not labeled and I heard to empty the BW first then the GW, the gate valve hand els are next to each other, and the same size. Which is it? We just got done de-winterizing, and love our trailer..

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijak View Post
Hi fellow 8285 owner, I bought mine last year and was surprised the first time I went to empty it I drained the front GW/BW tank then moved the trailer up a bit to empty the galley GW tank, My question is which Handel is witch. Theynare not labeled and I heard to empty the BW first then the GW, the gate valve hand els are next to each other, and the same size. Which is it? We just got done de-winterizing, and love our trailer..
Just watch what comes out when you dump then make your own lables.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

I can't believe how poor my spelling becomes when I text messages , its like I can no longer type, do to the iPad changing my words, I apologize for that one, I also can't see what's coming out of the tanks when daring so that won't work.

2018 Forester 3011DS
Old 06-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijak View Post
I can't believe how poor my spelling becomes when I text messages , its like I can no longer type, do to the iPad changing my words, I apologize for that one, I also can't see what's coming out of the tanks when daring so that won't work.

If you have an electronic level indicator and both tanks show empty and they are actually empty then turn the shower on for 10 minutes until that tank registers part full. Go and pull one valve, if the shower tank level reduces to empty then the valve you pulled is obviously the gray if not it was the black then lable them.

This is assumes you are connected to sewer you don't want to nsk doing this if you are not.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels

If you have an electronic level indicator and both tanks show empty and they are actually empty then turn the shower on for 10 minutes until that tank registers part full. Go and pull one valve, if the shower tank level reduces to empty then the valve you pulled is obviously the gray if not it was the black then lable them.

This is assumes you are connecvted to sewer you dont want to nbe doing thisd if you are not.
Nigels, thanks for the great idea, I'll give it a go tomorrow, Here's a tip for the manufactures, make the grey water tank handle grey and the black water tank handle black. Just a thought.

2018 Forester 3011DS
Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Which drain is which one on the 8285ws

When I picked up my 8285WS in 6" snow & 21°, the decals removed themselves on the way back to Florida from OHIO. I had all the decals duplicated into engraved plastic plates to the tune of $81.00. Using double back tape, all are now labeled in place.

The two dump valve handles up front are, left (small) is the shower gray dump, the right one is (large) the black tank. I purchased a clear 45° elbow along with a 6"-8" clear extension that connects to the common outlet. Now I can see when the "BROWN GOLD FISH" stop flowing, the tank is clear after flushing with the flush hose.

Google "Rhino-Flex" on Amazon for the Rhino flex "Y" connection, also you will need to purchase extra fittings to connect to the 5' extension for the
"Y" hook up to go from the "Y" to the park sewer connection. I leave the kitchen gray tank open when the "Y" is used to connect both gray tanks together.

Today, I will investigate a "REMOTE" pull cable for the kitchen gray tank so I can open and close the valve without having to crawl underneath the 8285WS. I do believe I have seen the remote cables at "NORTHERN TOOLS". If I am right, I will do a follow up.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #10

Thanks a lot for your suggestions Daisy, Thats a great Idea as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
When I picked up my 8285WS in 6" snow & 21°, the decals removed themselves on the way back to Florida from OHIO. I had all the decals duplicated into engraved plastic plates to the tune of $81.00. Using double back tape, all are now labeled in place.

The two dump valve handles up front are, left (small) is the shower gray dump, the right one is (large) the black tank. I purchased a clear 45° elbow along with a 6"-8" clear extension that connects to the common outlet. Now I can see when the "BROWN GOLD FISH" stop flowing, the tank is clear after flushing with the flush hose.

Google "Rhino-Flex" on Amazon for the Rhino flex "Y" connection, also you will need to purchase extra fittings to connect to the 5' extension for the
"Y" hook up to go from the "Y" to the park sewer connection. I leave the kitchen gray tank open when the "Y" is used to connect both gray tanks together.

Today, I will investigate a "REMOTE" pull cable for the kitchen gray tank so I can open and close the valve without having to crawl underneath the 8285WS. I do believe I have seen the remote cables at "NORTHERN TOOLS". If I am right, I will do a follow up.
The DW looks forward to the info on the extension.... crawling under the slide is doing her nails no good at all

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #12

Tough on d/w nails opening dump valve.

My D/W complained about the very same thing. I felt really bad about her problem, bought her a really nice pair of leather work gloves

Her complaint then was her knees on the gravel ?? I think I got a "FIX" for that also, offered to go to "GOODWILL" store for a good pair of long work pants..

I haven't figured out where the ball bat came from so fast

So after some research, I found the fix for the kitchen gray dump valve. It is a "VALTERRA 3"" remote dump valve with a 72" push/ pull cable. part # TC-373.

ON ORDER, D/W will love that !
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 06-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #13

Nigel, what part of the US are you in?

Nigel, I know you are touring the US, just thought I would ask what part of the US are you in?

Did you ever check your axles for adjustment movement? And the torque wrench from Harbor Freight. My axles are holding good so far.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Nigel, I know you are touring the US, just thought I would ask what part of the US are you in?

Did you ever check your axles for adjustment movement? And the torque wrench from Harbor Freight. My axles are holding good so far.
We are back in BC for the last 3 weeks to do the import and registration, one more week here and then we head south again to WA Olympic Nat park then on to Oregon then who knows where.

Yes I had movement about 5/6mm so I reset them and installed 8 bolts, horizontally thru the plates and torqued up the others, that was 4000 miles ago and everything seems okay tread wear even. I also sprayed all the metal work underneath with chasis paint, looks so much better.

I don't like all that cheap corrugated plastic underneath nor the plastic straps on the dump valves, I need to give that some thought. I would like to make some aluminum brackets for the valves and support that plastic in some way so that it does not belly so much.

I checked with one harbor freight on our way back to BC they only had small ones to 80ftlbs, I want the half inch drive one so will be calling in all the harbour freights on the way south. $79 here in BC!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #15

I got my DW a nice pair of mechanic's knee pads, and a stick to dislodge those pesky spiderwebs under there! She still gripes a little about the fire ants, though. Can't win 'em all!!
Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote