Old 09-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Gray water tank holds less than the spec

2009 Forest River Lexi 283 GTS, spec on the gray water is 35 gallons, however after pouring fresh water into the shower, 1 gallon at a time, at the 22 gallon the drain starts to gurgle. Then if I continue the shower pan starts to fill up. If the pull the grey water value, and dump, the water goes down. Any ideas?

Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatu101 View Post
Any ideas?
yes, it is very possible that there's a trapped air pocket in your tank, caused by how or where the supply line is installed to that tank,..... every Casita's 40gal. gray tank has that same problem, caused by where Casita attaches the supply line to the gray tank, their 40gal. gray tank tops out at 25gal,.....a very popular and useful mod among Casita owners is the "gray tank vent mod", after that mod my tank went from 25 to 41 gal........ that trapped air has to have a way to vent out of the tank, ...... if trapped air is your problem and if your gray tank is translucent(it may be black) it will be easy to see your water level and any air pocket in the tank at the time when your tank shows full in the shower, if it's a black tank you probably won't be able to see the level thru the black plastic,..... if you can't see the levels, look for where the supply line is attacked to the tank, if it's anywhere other than at the very top on the side of the tank, it will cause trapped air, because once the tank water level gets to the top of the incoming pipe then no more water can enter the tank, thus you have an air pocket from that level to the top of the tank,....

your problem may be caused by some other reason, but trapped air can certainly cause that problem.... its possible that that is a common issue with your model, and no one else has ever discovered it by doing the check as you did,......... anyway, a trapped air pocket is worth looking for and may be your problem......

one other thought,..... were you level when you did the check, if not level, then an air pocket in the tank could be caused by that and solved by simply leveling,... just another thought

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the info fell10, I will check where the tank input is tomorrow. I know it's a black tank. I would have thought that the air would escape through the vent under the kitchen sink. I guess it may not be a true wet vent type of system. Is the mod you mentioned something like a check valve on the top of the tank?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Is the mod you mentioned something like a check valve on the top of the tank?
with the Casita experience in mind, I was thinking of an un-vented tank like theirs,.... I know we have vented black tanks but I really don't know that I've ever paid attention to see if the grays are vented,..... if they are vented like the black then your problem is somewhere else, if they are not, then trapped air is possible,

no its not a check, you drill into the highest level you can into the tank side, screw a barbed fitting into the plastic and then run a vinyl tubing to some place higher that will let the tank breath/vent,....... running to and tapping into a convenient vent pipe is what the Casita mod does,...... very simple and not expensive at all, but, it's not absolutely necessary to do, many people don't and just live with what they have, sometimes without ever knowing they don't have full capacity in that tank,....

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
I would have thought that the air would escape through the vent under the kitchen sink.
That vent is for air entering the plumbing system, not exiting (one way valve). You would not want tank air entering a living space.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank