Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Happy Camper

Gray water tank size not as advertised

I recently bought a 2015 Surveyor Cadet 321BHTS that listed a 40 gal. gray water tank. I bought a 42 gal transfer dump tank since we stay in a non-full service camp site for several days at a time. When I went to dump the first time, I noted that the transfer tote tank was only 3/4 full when the gauge showed the gray water tank was full. After returning home and hooking to my home sewer system, I did a careful measurement test and I had water coming back in the bath tub at only 32 agl. poured in. I dumped and did again with same results. Camping World contacted F.R. about it and was told the water heater is included in the volume???? Since when did a fresh water - water heater- become gray water? Has anyone else caught this? I will be contacting F.R. tomorrow (if possible) to make them tell me why I am losing 25% of the capacity advertised and WELL paid for.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
I did a careful measurement test and I had water coming back in the bath tub at only 32 agl. poured in.
Hmm, I was going to ask how you knew it was full- but you already answered it. Sure seems like a smaller tank.

Be prepared for the answer to be the fine print on the brochures, "we reserve the right to make changes at any time".

Keep us posted.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Also, specs in brochures and websites are famous for their inaccuracies.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your water heater 6 or 10 gallon?
They include that as fresh water capacity.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

I agree with Turbs.

I think FR and/or dealer got the question wrong or were thinking fresh water. I can see where the HW tank could be considered in the calculation of fresh water capacity. But one the water is used it would have to leave the calc.

I have never thought to actually check the volume of the tank. Can you measure the tank and do a rough volume calc?

I also agree that FR might just say we reserve the right to make changes.

I am going to enjoy following this thread if other people begin to discover that the tanks are much smaller than believed.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #6

Personally I don't think the water heater should be in the fresh water calculations. When the fresh water tank is empty there is nothing to push the 6 or 10 gallons out of the water heater.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Personally I don't think the water heater should be in the fresh water calculations. When the fresh water tank is empty there is nothing to push the 6 or 10 gallons out of the water heater.
But would the water pump move it? That is the question I think. Does the water flow from Fresh tank to water heater to pump to faucet? If so then the two tanks in total before the water pump could be viewed as a single capacity. Fuzzy specs if you ask me, but I can see that being done.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #8

I have a similar issue on my 24HFS. I am supposed to have 51 gallons (iirc) but I was only able to measure 40 gallons. I messaged the XLR rep on here and he said it could be an incorrect vent causing an air lock. I am going to bring it to the dealer to have it checked out... among a few other warranty items.
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Happy Camper

Thanks for the replies and interest. I have a 6 gal WH but I did not measure the fresh water tank (46 gal) capacity. I know the only time I filled it, it took a while so I don't think I have a problem there.

I was not able to get the direct phone number and call F.R. this morning because my Camping World contact, who has that number, is off till Wednesday. I will post any news as it happens.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #10

Sounds like all crap to me. A tank is a tank and what they say it is is what it should be,do they add the volume of the water and waste lines into the volume too? Now I have to check mine just to see,but I have already had doubts that the FW cap is 100 gal as advertised on ours.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Exactly. I was just going to say that.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
But would the water pump move it? That is the question I think. Does the water flow from Fresh tank to water heater to pump to faucet? If so then the two tanks in total before the water pump could be viewed as a single capacity. Fuzzy specs if you ask me, but I can see that being done.

Vin.
It goes from fresh water tank to pump and then water heater and then faucets. There is no way to use the water in the heater once the fresh water tanks runs dry.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #13

Wouldn't be 1st time customer gets lied to
cj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
JAL

Assuming you have outside kitchen I see in floorplan, where does your outside sink drain to? Is there a separate, smaller gray tank? (I've never had an Outside Kitchen so I don't don't know how they are plumbed.) Thanks
JAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
Happy Camper

I talked with the F.R. warranty dept. today. Jessica listened to my complaint, which took a while to explain (???) and then advised she had to have the actual part numbers off the tank to verify. Amanda at Camping World, said she will get those numbers and contact them ASAP. The "tree has been shook" and they all know I have their direct phone numbers and will keep calling until this is resolved. I am sure it will be a few days but I will post again.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Happy Camper

JAL,
To answer your question about the outside kitchen sink, it does dump into the main gray tank but very little water is used there. Mostly while washing hands to cook. Don't necessarily need clean hands to get a cold beer out of that refrig. Ha!

Tags
tank, water, water tank