Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Grey Tank Dropped 3" on one End

Just noticed that my grey tank has fallen down about 3 inches on the right side. I also now have a grey water leak collecting under the tank, believed to be coming from the top of the tank. I can push the tank up by hand.

I had a mobile tech look at it and he believes that a securement has come loose and allowed the tank to drop and that may have broke the top of the tank where the water inlet is. Right now he had put a small hole in the plastic under floor to let the accumulated water out to dry. He will come back in a few days to remove the entire front under floor and see what is happening.

The tech did say that if the tank broke on top I will need a new tank and that this is a 12 hour job. This looks to be REAL costly!

Any words of wisdom out there? My plan is to document how this comes out in this forum.

Our Background: I have a 2013 Prime Time Sanibel 3500. It is out of warranty last August. We have about 15k miles on it now. We are Full time and sit in one place in the winter in South Texas. We have been sitting now for 3 months.

Mark
Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #2

February 08, 2015: I opened up more of the under floor to get a better look at the tank before the mobile tech gets here on Tuesday, the day after tomorrow. I found the tank has fallen on the front side out of the angle bracket that holds it up. The tank is held up with a fixed (welded) bracket on the front side and a mechanically fastened bracket on the back side. Seems that when they install the tank they put the front lip of the tank into the angle bracket on the front and then screw the back angle bracket into place on the back side. This will allow the tank to be replaced or serviced in the future. Anyway, the tank came off of the welded angle bracket in the front and is still in place on the bolted side. The bolted side is held in place with 2 self tapping screws on each end of the bracket that runs across the RV to the frame members. All four of these screws are in place. So, right now it looks like the tank was not installed correctly. My guess is that the installer didn't ensure that the tank was tight against the front welded angle bracket before mounting the screwed in-place angle bracket. At some point the tank has slid toward the rear of the RV causing it to fall out of the front welded angle bracket. The tank at this point it being held up by the drain pipe on the left side of the tank. I can't yet tell for sure but I believe the drain flange on the tank is cracked causing a slight leak.

More to come on Tuesday when the RV tech arrived to investigate the problem.

Mark
Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Tuesday February 10, 2015:

As I suspected, the RV tech confirmed my suspicion that grey water tank was installed wrong by Prime Time. Too bad the RV is out of warranty! The repair involved jacking the tank back into place and then moving one end of the mechanically fastened bracket closer to the tank. Seems that only one end was installed wrong. The bill came to $175, I guess not too bad considering. Seems that none of the pipes or the tank were damaged in the process.

It still just amazes me at how much shity work these RV manufacturers do when building these things.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

Tough break on the tank, I guess it was not to bad of a repair bill but still it is something that could have been avoided.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #5

I think this had a Happy ending! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank