Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Grey water drainage

So we have a 2015 Wildwood 29QBDS and just got back from our second trip with it. The first trip was just a weekend jaunt and we had full hookups so I really wasn't paying all that much attention to the interworkings of the dump system.

This trip was a 1 week stay with Water and Electricity only so I had to use the honey pot a couple times for the grey tank. I am really surprised at how slowly the 30 gallon grey tank drains. Both times I used the storage tote the system was showing at about 2/3 full on the grey tank. It would take over 10 minutes to drain. My previous camper had 2x 26 gallon grey tanks and it was a 3-5 minutes at best to drain each tank. At first I thought it was just the honey pot but when we got to the dump station it was just as slow using the slinky direct into the sewer.

I use a flush king to back flush both the grey and black tanks so I was able to see how slowly the water was coming out. When you first open the valve there is the big rush of water that would last about a minute then it would move to just a steady stream of water that would drain ... and drain ... and drain.

So my question is ... is this how FR/WW grey tanks operate or should I have the dealer look into it. I understand that the black tank drain piping is about 2x the size of the grey but it still doesn't explain how slow the water runs after that first minute or so.
drhuggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #2

To me that sounds like you have solid crud in your tank thats larger that the opening and causing a restriction.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Always Learning

That obstruction very well could be the cutout in the side of the tank. It's not unheard of (and relatively common) for it to fall into the tank while they're installing it and for them not to fish it out.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

You also should check the GW roof vent to ensure its in good working order.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, grey water, water