Old 06-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

Grey water gate valve

Help, I'm replacing the gate valve which is basically simple unless you have my piping. 2012 Sierra 300RL 5th wheel. Ok so the gap is so narrow between the tank pipe and the discharge pipe for the gate to fit that the flanges won't stay in place. I even tryed vasolin to hold them while I put the gate in place. Its just so narrow of an opening. Its a valterra TC372 1-1/2 valve. Any ideas.

Foxtrot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Have you tried to push back on the tank itself there is sometimes a little movement there that might allow enough room to put the valve in.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #3

I've been trying not to push my luck on damaging the tank but I will see how much movement there is. I read one link about cutting the pipe and using a rubber type coupling. I may have to go that route. Thank you
Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #4

You should be able to push the tank back just a bit to get the valve into place. After all the tank is plastic and will give a bit. Do not use Vaseline on the rubber "O" rings used on these valves. Vaseline will cause the black (Buna-N) "O'" rings to deteriorate over a short period of time as Vaseline is a petroleum product. What to use? Believe it or not- -Olive oil, it's a natural lubricant. I used olive oil in industrial settings for years.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You should be able to push the tank back just a bit to get the valve into place. After all the tank is plastic and will give a bit. Do not use Vaseline on the rubber "O" rings used on these valves. Vaseline will cause the black (Buna-N) "O'" rings to deteriorate over a short period of time as Vaseline is a petroleum product. What to use? Believe it or not- -Olive oil, it's a natural lubricant. I used olive oil in industrial settings for years.
Thank you sir, I didn't think about that. I will pick up two more o rings and try to move the tank alittle before cutting the pipe.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #6

Maybe High-Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot24 View Post
Help, I'm replacing the gate valve which is basically simple unless you have my piping. 2012 Sierra 300RL 5th wheel. Ok so the gap is so narrow between the tank pipe and the discharge pipe for the gate to fit that the flanges won't stay in place. I even tryed vasolin to hold them while I put the gate in place. Its just so narrow of an opening. Its a valterra TC372 1-1/2 valve. Any ideas.
Permatex High-Tack is an automotive gasket cement which you could use to hold the flanges in place. Get it at any auto parts store for a few dollars. It will work fine for waste--the product literature states "antifreeze" and that's 50% water.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #7

Thanks Larry I think I will give this a shot over the cooking oil send it's so right I don't want any movement at all.
Thanks to all the help from all.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

Be careful pushing on the tank, you might find the pluming was all that was holding it in place! LOL!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Got it guy, thanks.

Tags
grey water, valve, water