Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

H20 how cold?

How cold does it have to get before you start worrying about water lines freezing (outside line, connection line)

Brian

Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Michele View Post
How cold does it have to get before you start worrying about water lines freezing (outside line, connection line)

Brian

0C (or 32F if you prefer.)

All kidding aside, once it gets within 5 or so of freezing I'm going to worry. But that doesn't mean you are going to freeze, just that it's time to start worrying and taking some extra precautions.

One I'm in favour of is to let the tap run. This allows the water to keep moving, thereby maintaining a higher kinetic energy, therefore more energy it needs to lose before it can freeze. As an added bonus, if it does freeze, since the tap's open there's a place for the pressure (caused by ice expanding) to escape so again less likely for a burst pipe/hose. Some other people have also recommended various forms of heating, insulation, etc., in other threads on here.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

In typical conditions I don't worry unless the low hits 30* or if it's going to be 30* for a while. Usually the low is only for an hour or two and the units insulation will protect it.

I did lose an outside showerhead over the years, sudden cold snap that was worse than predicted.

I've set the furnace on 50*, some folks use those oil filled heaters and a small fan to circulate heat. I set a ceramic heater out once but it barely held 34* in reported 29* temps.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Too many things to read on the internet on this subject. I've talked to several people in our travels. Some succeed with no more than insulation on the hoses and leaving a tap running as mentioned above, and some have heat tape and other things in place. For us, for the times we have been in the teens, we just fill the water tank, disconnect and drain the water hose and reconnect in the morning when the sun comes out. A pain, yes it can be, but it beats a frozen line. If it's going to get so cold my enclosed tanks start freezing, even with the heat pads, I'm moving elsewhere to a warmer area, if possible. Of course with this year's winter, I think everybody got a dose of major cold, and there weren't many places to go that weren't below freezing at one point.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #5

There is a lot to read and a lot of opinions.

I was looking a general idea of what temps send off the alarms, yes 32f is freezing but water does not instantly freeze at 32f. Below 30f for a period of time and yes I get a little concerned.

The RV is good, just wondered about the connection line. Our temps got down to 29f for a few hours over night. I disconnected the line, drained and went to sleep. In the morning reconnect.

Thanks!

Brian
Follow our camping adventures here
And on Twitter @cledawgs
Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #6

The freezing temperature will depend on the composition of the water, but not much. The more "things" in the water the lower the freezing temperature. That's why they put salt on the roads. The other thing to keep in mind is where the air temperature comes from and how accurate it is.

From personal experience, if I think it might freeze I disconnect the supply line. I also open a faucet, hot and cold, just to give the water line a place to expand. The PEX tubing shouldn't burst from freezing. The plastic fittings are what you have to worry about.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote