Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

Head: Should my dometic be holding water at the seal?

Old boater here...we call it a head. The units in our boats are usually more robust then the domestic toilet in my base model Salem Lite. One think I noted is that fluids are not held back by the seal for the bowl...no smell, just it drains out in a day. Winterized yesterday and held some fluid in the bowl (half gallon) and bone dry today.

Par for the course or a bad seal I need to have the dealer fix under warranty come spring?

Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-21 13.45.40.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	156908  
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It should hold water long enough for it to evaporate. Weeks/months.

Check the seal and see if it has become dislodged from the groove.
It's pretty easy to dislodge it with a wash wand or brush.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #3

Bad seal. Our Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL always holds water (or, now antifreeze) until our next time out.
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #4

Thanks guys. It was like this since the first day...so maybe something is off with the seal seating on/in it. Not sure how these ones work but should be easy to figure out myself.

I picked our dealer because everyone said "make sure you dealer is close...you'll be visiting them quite a bit" with the low end models. Our dealer turned out be clueless (but nice) and their inspection/walk thru process was a joke. No major issues on our end and fixed the small annoying stuff myself but it's sad when you know more then a dealer.

For example...they claimed they never heard of a wireless Tekonsha RF Prodigy brake controller even knowing they carry the hardwired line from Tekonsha!
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

WITH RUBBER GLOVES !!! I rubbed down the seal on mine with Vasoline as it would only hold water for a couple days. Two weeks after winterizing, the antifreeze is still in the bowl with very little loss at all.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboncow View Post
Thanks guys. It was like this since the first day...so maybe something is off with the seal seating on/in it. Not sure how these ones work but should be easy to figure out myself.

I picked our dealer because everyone said "make sure you dealer is close...you'll be visiting them quite a bit" with the low end models. Our dealer turned out be clueless (but nice) and their inspection/walk thru process was a joke. No major issues on our end and fixed the small annoying stuff myself but it's sad when you know more then a dealer.

For example...they claimed they never heard of a wireless Tekonsha RF Prodigy brake controller even knowing they carry the hardwired line from Tekonsha!
Son has a wireless/bluetooth controller....absolutely loves it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #7

I can't tell from your picture which you have but if your toilet seals with a ball instead of a blade you need to let the flush lever snap back to make a proper seal according to my manual. Mine drains almost immediately if I gently release the flush lever.
Kimcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimcrafter View Post
I can't tell from your picture which you have but if your toilet seals with a ball instead of a blade you need to let the flush lever snap back to make a proper seal according to my manual. Mine drains almost immediately if I gently release the flush lever.
Yes.... this ^^^^^.
Plus uncle Gene and I determined that his ball top closing valve was not snapped onto its little plastic pivots correctly so it was misaligned and wouldn't hold water.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

You should not use vaseline on rubber, use silicone grease.

Tags
seal, water