Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

Heated tanks......

Finally going to get out Friday with our new unit. Had a beautiful weekend here the past two days, but next weekend looks cooler with temps dropping around freezing at night. I spec'd the heated tanks on the unit know this can happen in the beginning and end of the season around here. We are going to a state park with a newly installed full hookup site, but given the water I've seen at some of the parks, I plan on taking about 50 gallons in the fresh tank (100 gal).

My question is what is the protocol on using the heaters? Should I put a 1/4 tank in the grey and black before using the them? Black and grey are 42 gallons each. I've got plenty of truck and weight is not an issue.

The dealer wasn't much help, and the owners manual makes no mention of them. I've found no literature in the packet as to what brand they may be, nothing but an unlabeled lighted red rocker switch below the tank monitors.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I'm new to everything except electricity in a trailer. Thanks

Scott
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

I'm on my third Rockwood with heated tanks. I had one freeze episode when I failed to turn on the heat pads. The dump valve froze, and by the time I got home to a heated garage, the fresh tank had frozen too (black and gray tanks were already empty). My understanding is, as you said, that some water should be in the tanks before turning on the heat pads although it shouldn't require much. It's good to know the 12 volt heaters can be used on the road. The problem then becomes water lines, pump, faucets, etc. that have no heat unless the furnace is still on.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

I also have the heated tanks & was using them so was surprised when the water pump quit working when it was 24 degrees. Come to find out that yes all tanks have heat elements on them HOWEVER the fresh water draw line from tank to water pump was outside with no insulation on it.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
I also have the heated tanks & was using them so was surprised when the water pump quit working when it was 24 degrees. Come to find out that yes all tanks have heat elements on them HOWEVER the fresh water draw line from tank to water pump was outside with no insulation on it.
Well that is a bad design, I would move them in the belly or insulate them. I found that if I keep liquid in my tanks it helps to keep the belly warmer, so I always travel with at least 1/4 full. The tank will put off some heat just by the liquid inside heating to 60 degrees.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well that is a bad design, I would move them in the belly or insulate them. I found that if I keep liquid in my tanks it helps to keep the belly warmer, so I always travel with at least 1/4 full. The tank will put off some heat just by the liquid inside heating to 60 degrees.
Yes, the fix was easy as well as cheap (less than $2.00) - one 6 foot foam pipe wrap & no more freeze ups!

What I can't explain is why after all of the times I had been under the trailer is why hadn't I noticed the exposed water line?

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank