Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

heater problem

Having a problem with our surburban water heater. While on LP it works fine....after a day plugged in at the C/G .....water running,,,showers, etc...I shut the gas off and thought it would automatically switch to electric....like the fridge.

Several hours later the red reset light came on........remembered the service guy during our walk through had turned off the water heater breaker.....I turned it back on.........but the reset light stayed on.

Switched back to gas and the reset went off ???? Heard the water heater kick on......

Inside the water heater unit the on switch is on ........

Trying to figure out why the reset switch light comes on when the gas is turned off...............why the electric is not heating my water!

Thank you..........If I doubled posted............sorry!
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, trying to understand. If you shut the gas bottle off, and didn't flip the water heater switch, that is why the light is on. It is trying to light and you have the gas turned off. You need to trip the switch so it will not try to light on gas. Don't have electric myself, but I know thay are not automatic. Must have the breaker on in the panel and another hidden behind an outside cover for the water heater. Also if you have hooked up electric with these breakers on, and no water in the heater tank, you fried the element and it must be replaced. That's what I Know, hope others will chime in.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #3

The water heater should have had water in it......we had it plugged in over night ran the water at two sinks for about 5 minutes........washed dished.........turned on the water heater at the switch.........couple of hours later wife and kid took hot showers.

The following morning is when I remembered I had left the gas on......and turned the gas off............again, thinking it would auto over to electric.

Checked my model number......the suburban (SW6-DE) is both gas/ electric........the little rocker switch is on..........

Not that this is a big issue......I have hot water......Im at a nice camp ground.....the sun is out........the kids are having fun.....the beer is cold..

Just a little nagging problem..................When I get time I'll turn the water heater swith off in the bathroom......turn off the gas.......turn off the rocker switch........wait a few minutes...........turn it on without the gas and see what happens........
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with Windrider. I don't think there is a problem. If you leave the switch on to the water heater that is located on the inside of the camper, and turn the propane tanks off, then the reset lite will come on....that is the way it supposed to work. The reset lite comes on when the furnace is trying to ignite and won't for some reason.....ie, it is getting no propane. Just cut the inside switch off anytime you close the valve to the propane tanks, or if you don't want the water heater to run on propane. The 110 volt part of the water heater and the propane part are completely independent of each other. It is not like the fridge which automatically switches between the 2.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #5

On our previous trailer a Terry it had the electric/gas hot water heater. On it besides the main switch to turn on the electric element it also had a small switch located at the hot water heater. It was a small safety switch so that the master switch couldn't be flipped when the hot water heater was empty of water.
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

O.K....So to have the water heater heat only by electric while plugged in at C/C....

Water heater rocker switch within camper - to off position ????

Gas turned off....

Rocker switch within water heater (outside of unit)has been on!!

Again....thanks for your experience and info........
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The water heater switch by the water pump switch and tank monitors is for the gas portion only. To use the electric side of the water heater, the switch inside the outside access panel needs to be on and the breaker inside the fuse panel on (there should be a separate breaker marker water heater). As mentioned previously, there must be water in the hot water tank before you use the electrical element...it will burn out otherwise. I usually leave the outside electrical switch on and power the heater on and off with the breaker inside the fuse panel.

We almost always use only the electric side of the water heater if we're on an electric site...better use their hydro instead of propane!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #8

That is correct. The rocker switch on the wall that lights up red is for turning on the auto. gas burner/ignitor. For electric operation, leave that off. Water heater circuit breaker usually located in the WFCO converter control panel box needs to be on, as well as the little hard to spot switch outside, under the access cover for the water heater. With both of these on, and water in the tank, it should work. Hope this helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #9

Thank you for the replies.............

We have hot water with electric heat.........good stuff!

Thanks again!

Four days into this trip and things are good.........sat around a fire tonight with friends who are here at the park until mid-night.........

Life is Good!!