Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Heating Pad on Plastic Fresh Water Tank

Folks, has anyone put one of the cold weather heating pads on a plastic fresh water tank? I put a question into a manufacturer but haven't heard yet. The whole tank is below my floorboard so even if I just insulate it I think there will be a problem with below freezing temperatures even if it's just for a night or two.

Jeff from PA

Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

Thats where mine are.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

They are a Op on lots of F/R units,depends on how your unit is plumbed you may need pads on pipes/elbows/valves,also,if you are doing the Gray/Black tanks also! Youroo!!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #4

heating plastic tanks

My concern was high temperature against the plastic tank. In order the make the heating pad effective it should be insulated. The plastic tank won't transfer the heat very well so the temperature could get high in that area if not well controlled by the heater.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

It is regulated on Temp,DON'T Worry about Melt of Plastic! Youroo!!
Old 08-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

As long as there is water in tank, you should be ok. Take paper dixie cup, fll it with water and put a lit lighter under it. You can't burn the paper cup from the outside because the water is absorbing the heat energy. I'm assuming the plastic can transmit the heat well enough not to cause damage but I'm sure the heat pads are designed not to damage tanks anyway. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
Folks, has anyone put one of the cold weather heating pads on a plastic fresh water tank? I put a question into a manufacturer but haven't heard yet. The whole tank is below my floorboard so even if I just insulate it I think there will be a problem with below freezing temperatures even if it's just for a night or two.

Jeff from PA
My 2015 Solera 24R came with heating pads on the holding tanks. Yesterday, I discovered they were both peeling away from the front. Through a search on the forum I discovered two other Forest River owners with the same problem.

Today I send an email to a Forest River manager who has assisted me before, asking how to re-attach. I pointed out that what they have been using isn't working for all of us.

In your research have you found a good adhesive?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #8

Mine peeled off and rhe dealer reattached with duct tape.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Simpson View Post
Mine peeled off and rhe dealer reattached with duct tape.
We are traveling so that is my temporary fix. However, one forum poster claimed duct tape could cause a fire. I don't believe that because the pads don't create that much heat.

I asked my contact at Forest River if it would be okay to use that 3M Auto super bonding tape. That seems to hold everything.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #10

One idea we are going to try is using a spare heat blanket that we haven't used in years. Granted, it needs 110V but we can place the cord to an outlet in our bedroom which is above the fresh water tank. I don't see how this won't work. We can even find a thermostat outlet that will control it.

Tags
fresh water, heating, tank, water, water tank