Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Help me determine if dealer winterized properly (pics included!)

I took a look at the water heater and pump compartment of my Rockwood 2306 yesterday and found something interesting. First a quick background: the trailer was inspected/PDI'd by RVWholesalers upon delivery and then winterized. I picked it up and did my own PDI with their technician, but did not run the water system during the PDI because it was freezing cold and I just wanted to get things wrapped up. :/ So, as far as I knew the trailer was left in a winterized "condition".

When I looked in the pump compartment I found the following configuration. Basically the heater bypass valves were NOT in the bypass config, and the water pump was connected to the fresh water tank, not the external antifreeze inlet:

Using all the knowledge I've gained from this forum , I reversed all the valves so that the water heater was bypassed and the water pump was being fed by the antifreeze inlet:

So, my question is this: is it possible that after RVW winterized the trailer with antifreeze, they simply reversed the valves and set it up to a normal operating configuration to save me the trouble?

I'm hoping that's the case, because the other alternative is that they completely screwed up the winterizing process. I don't think that's possible, as their is antifreeze in the toilet bowl and a small amount of antifreeze in the glass compartment that holds the water filter.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
So, my question is this: is it possible that after RVW winterized the trailer with antifreeze, they simply reversed the valves and set it up to a normal operating configuration to save me the trouble?

Thoughts?

Sounds like that is what they did.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

If they left the valves open on the WH, it would be FULL of antifreeze; 6 gallons or so. I doubt RVWH would waste that much money.

They most likely did a normal winterizing and then drained the lines out the low point drains to recover as much antifreeze as they could.

or

They blew out the lines and just ran anti-freeze where needed.

The alternative to the above "is not to be considered."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

I pulled my anode and nothing came out of the HW heater so I'm fairly confident they did it right. Interesting theory that they tried to recover the antifreeze to save money -- hadn't thought of that!

I'm hoping to put water in the system for the first time here in the next two weeks, so fingers crossed I don't find any freeze-induced leaks.