Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckramps View Post
I read the FAQ post on the hot water tank and it was very informative. I just have 1 question:

Does the switch inside the camper which turns on the propane operation need to be on for the electric operation to work? Or does just the black switch at the heater itself need to be on.

-Corey
No. Each switch operates it's heat source separately of the other. There is no interlock or functionality between them.

BTW, some people like me use the circuit breaker for the water heater element to turn it on or off instead of the little switch outside.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #12

The switch inside the RV controls the propane, the switch outside, on the hot water tank, controls the electric. both operate independent of each other. You can however, turn them both on if you want to heat your water quickly or have faster recovery. Be sure the hot water tank is full of water before you turn either of them on, especially the electric, other wise it will burn up the thermostats, especially the electric ones.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #13
Site Team

Inside switch only turns on propane heat. Switch on water heater only turns on electric. Both do NOT have to be on.
Usually run electric only if plugged in to shore power. If several people are about to shower consecutively, turn on propane too and it heats water faster so last shower still has hot water.
Heater will stop heating when water reaches correct temp whether elec or lp or both are turned on.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #14

Thanks for all the information!
We have decided to go with the new 2016 unit. Plan is to pick up tomorrow.
This will be camper #4. Started with a tent, then pop-up, then I restored an old 1972 19' camper from the ground up. Sold it and got a hybrid. Did NOT like the hybrid. Now it is gone and we are getting the 23LB. Hope this is the last one for quite a whie.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Great. Enjoy, and report back to the forum with pictures.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
No. Each switch operates it's heat source separately of the other. There is no interlock or functionality between them.

BTW, some people like me use the circuit breaker for the water heater element to turn it on or off instead of the little switch outside.
That's a great idea! Though, like somebody else pointed out with the switch at the heater itself: I'd probably forget about leaving the breaker on lol.

Tags
heater, water, water heater