Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Steelhorzz
 
Steelhorzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 219
Help.... No water ... Again

We're traveling in the Midwest going home. (Kansas to Calif).
Temps along the way have been getting considerably colder at night, along with the wind chill factor. From 20s to teens to single digits.
We're in a 2012 Georgetown 360. At first what I thought was a problem with my water pump was I believe just frozen pipes.

Here is what I've done along the way which has helped until last night.....

Installed a drop light in the water pump bay leaving the light on at night....

Wrapped the exposed pipes in the water pump bay with "foam pipe covers".... (purchased at Ace Hardware)

Installed a space heater in the water pump bay at night....
(Set ata1250 Watts ). Keeps it at about 80 or so, with the bay door partially open.. I keep it from swinging open with duct tape on the outside of the door and the body.

And finally opening the kitchen cabinet doors to allow the furnace heat to circulate in the cabinet area.. have not wrapped those pipes yet.

And AGAIN this morning, no hot or cold water in the kitchen, not hot water in the 1/2 bath or rear bathroom.

But I DO have cold water in both bathrooms. (Some success)!!

Any ideas???

Th thought of having to wait for the water to defrost and be able to use is not as worrisome as breaking a pipe!!

I am thinking the use of plastic pipes and crimp hose clamps allows some "pretection" against burst pipes but that's just a guess.
I've got 5 more days to go before we reach non freezing weather at night!

Appreciate any and all advice!!
__________________

Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
We're traveling in the Midwest going home. (Kansas to Calif).
Temps along the way have been getting considerably colder at night, along with the wind chill factor. From 20s to teens to single digits.
We're in a 2012 Georgetown 360. At first what I thought was a problem with my water pump was I believe just frozen pipes.

Here is what I've done along the way which has helped until last night.....

Installed a drop light in the water pump bay leaving the light on at night....

Wrapped the exposed pipes in the water pump bay with "foam pipe covers".... (purchased at Ace Hardware)

Installed a space heater in the water pump bay at night....
(Set ata1250 Watts ). Keeps it at about 80 or so, with the bay door partially open.. I keep it from swinging open with duct tape on the outside of the door and the body.

And finally opening the kitchen cabinet doors to allow the furnace heat to circulate in the cabinet area.. have not wrapped those pipes yet.

And AGAIN this morning, no hot or cold water in the kitchen, not hot water in the 1/2 bath or rear bathroom.

But I DO have cold water in both bathrooms. (Some success)!!

Any ideas???

Th thought of having to wait for the water to defrost and be able to use is not as worrisome as breaking a pipe!!

I am thinking the use of plastic pipes and crimp hose clamps allows some "pretection" against burst pipes but that's just a guess.
I've got 5 more days to go before we reach non freezing weather at night!

Appreciate any and all advice!!
Seems like you are doing your best but unfortunately most campers are not going to do well with extreme cold. Might want to just get some gallon jugs if water a d use them. This is what we will do if it is really going to be cold. Better to run silent and deep then break a line. But people is usually pretty freeze resilient.. The couplings and other junk fittings not so much.
__________________

__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Steelhorzz
 
Steelhorzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Seems like you are doing your best but unfortunately most campers are not going to do well with extreme cold. Might want to just get some gallon jugs if water a d use them. This is what we will do if it is really going to be cold. Better to run silent and deep then break a line. But people is usually pretty freeze resilient.. The couplings and other junk fittings not so much.
Thanks! Doc!!

We do have bottled water on board and I fill a couple of pots to wash with, just in case.

I was thinking tonight to "clear the pipes".

But I've never done that before.
Is it is the process...?

Turn off the water pump
Twisting the valve by the water pump
Remove the plug on the end of that hose
Opening all the the faucets to the cold water side
Blow air thru that hose in the water pump bay with my air pump until no water comes thru
(I have an air fitting attachment).
Then repeat that process for the hot water side...

Thanks!!!
And of course drive to warmer weather ASAP ��
__________________
2012 Georgetown 360DS Fire Mist
2007 PT Cruiser Auto-stick (4 wheel tow)
Remco Trans Pump /Super Springs Sumo Springs
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
Thanks! Doc!!

We do have bottled water on board and I fill a couple of pots to wash with, just in case.

I was thinking tonight to "clear the pipes".

But I've never done that before.
Is it is the process...?

Turn off the water pump
Twisting the valve by the water pump
Remove the plug on the end of that hose
Opening all the the faucets to the cold water side
Blow air thru that hose in the water pump bay with my air pump until no water comes thru
(I have an air fitting attachment).
Then repeat that process for the hot water side...

Thanks!!!
And of course drive to warmer weather ASAP ��
Yes that seems about right. Make sure you empty the strainr bowl on the pump if it have one, and drain a water filter housing or they might break.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 332
We drive a Georgetown 31L5 (35').

For Christmas, we were in Arkansas. The forecast changed and we were expecting near zero overnight temperatures and high winds. Our after-Christmas destination was 'home' in north Colorado.

Kansas was forecast to have 30+ mph winds and near zero temperatures on the days we planned to be traveling home.

We changed our plans completely. We left Arkansas five days early and headed south to warmer temperatures and lesser wind. We drove across Oklahoma and the Texan pan handle instead of crossing Kansas.

We made it home, but it cost us five days of family time and a day longer in travel time.

Recommendation: Head south. Get out of the freezing temperatures.

Check the night time temperatures in cities in a more southerly route and make your route decisions based upon temperature.
__________________
McCormickJim
2017 GT 31L5
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 7,735
Are you using the on board furnace? Do your heat ducts follow the water lines? You have a better model then my class C, but I have all that and have not had a problem. We camp all year. I do burn through some propane but all works as it should.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 332
I went through my procedures and edited my winterizing steps. Here is what I would do if I needed to clear the water lines in-transit:

a) Turn OFF the pump.
b) Drain the fresh-water system by opening the low point drain(s), kitchen and bathroom faucets, toilet-flush, indoor and outdoor showers (hold shower heads up high while HOT and COLD are ON), fresh-water-fill back flow preventer (remove screen and push the back-flow preventer allowing water to drain).
c) Remove and empty the whole-house water-filter housing, remove the filter and save.
d) Replace the whole-house water-filter housing.
e) Close everything underneath, outside, and inside.
f) Turn the water heater valves to “bypass.”
g) Dial down your air compressor to no more than 40 psi - don't want to blow anything out.
h) Hook up the compressor to the city water port and pressurize the system.
i) Starting with the tap nearest the pump, open the valves, one at a time, and let air flow until you're getting nothing more than mist out of it. Might spit a bit so have a towel handy.
j) If your air tank is small and you run out of air, close the tap and wait for it to refill.
k) Once 'nothing but air' is flowing, move to the next tap.
l) Don't forget the indoor and outdoor showers and the toilet.
m) Disconnect the compressor from the city water port.
n) Check the whole-house water filter housing and empty any accumulated water.
o) In the morning, remember to:
i) Reinstall the whole-house water filter
ii) Turn on the pump
iii) Turn water heater valves to ‘normal’ flow
__________________
McCormickJim
2017 GT 31L5
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CC75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Near Dallas
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I went through my procedures and edited my winterizing steps. Here is what I would do if I needed to clear the water lines in-transit:

a) Turn OFF the pump.
b) Drain the fresh-water system by opening the low point drain(s), kitchen and bathroom faucets, toilet-flush, indoor and outdoor showers (hold shower heads up high while HOT and COLD are ON), fresh-water-fill back flow preventer (remove screen and push the back-flow preventer allowing water to drain).
c) Remove and empty the whole-house water-filter housing, remove the filter and save.
d) Replace the whole-house water-filter housing.
e) Close everything underneath, outside, and inside.
f) Turn the water heater valves to “bypass.”
g) Dial down your air compressor to no more than 40 psi - don't want to blow anything out.
h) Hook up the compressor to the city water port and pressurize the system.
i) Starting with the tap nearest the pump, open the valves, one at a time, and let air flow until you're getting nothing more than mist out of it. Might spit a bit so have a towel handy.
j) If your air tank is small and you run out of air, close the tap and wait for it to refill.
k) Once 'nothing but air' is flowing, move to the next tap.
l) Don't forget the indoor and outdoor showers and the toilet.
m) Disconnect the compressor from the city water port.
n) Check the whole-house water filter housing and empty any accumulated water.
o) In the morning, remember to:
i) Reinstall the whole-house water filter
ii) Turn on the pump
iii) Turn water heater valves to ‘normal’ flow
That is a pretty good list. I would also add, that if you have connections for Washer and Dryer in the closet, to not forget those pipes.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 3,259
X2, what McCormickJim said. The outside shower and the toilet flush valve will freeze easily. It takes about 1/2 teaspoon of water to crack the toilet flush valve. The PEX lines can withstand freezing, it's the elbows, faucets, fittings, T's and valves that crack when water freezes.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Steelhorzz
 
Steelhorzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 219
Very detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I went through my procedures and edited my winterizing steps. Here is what I would do if I needed to clear the water lines in-transit:

a) Turn OFF the pump.
b) Drain the fresh-water system by opening the low point drain(s), kitchen and bathroom faucets, toilet-flush, indoor and outdoor showers (hold shower heads up high while HOT and COLD are ON), fresh-water-fill back flow preventer (remove screen and push the back-flow preventer allowing water to drain).
c) Remove and empty the whole-house water-filter housing, remove the filter and save.
d) Replace the whole-house water-filter housing.
e) Close everything underneath, outside, and inside.
f) Turn the water heater valves to “bypass.”
g) Dial down your air compressor to no more than 40 psi - don't want to blow anything out.
h) Hook up the compressor to the city water port and pressurize the system.
i) Starting with the tap nearest the pump, open the valves, one at a time, and let air flow until you're getting nothing more than mist out of it. Might spit a bit so have a towel handy.
j) If your air tank is small and you run out of air, close the tap and wait for it to refill.
k) Once 'nothing but air' is flowing, move to the next tap.
l) Don't forget the indoor and outdoor showers and the toilet.
m) Disconnect the compressor from the city water port.
n) Check the whole-house water filter housing and empty any accumulated water.
o) In the morning, remember to:
i) Reinstall the whole-house water filter
ii) Turn on the pump
iii) Turn water heater valves to ‘normal’ flow

Thanks Jim!!!

Wanted to say thanks for all the info AND instructions. There are a few points I had not thought of yet.
Stopped today in Dalhart , TX and temp was 19 but after setting up the space heater and opening inside cabinet doors Everything finally defrosted. (Hot and Cold)
I'm going to save some water in pots and pans and drain the system this afternoon before it gets colder. Expect 12 degrees. tonight.

Spent some time in the cabinets and found additional red and blue water lines. (And it's COLD in behind those cabinets)!!
I'll be insulating those in the future too when I get home.
Wel'll see how it goes.
But I'm not planning on traveling in weather like this just to test my theory.....

Right now heading south as quick as I can is my best bet I think!
__________________

Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.