Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #1

Help on replacing leaky water heater hose

We have a 2010 Rockwood and noticed that the permanent fitting on the hot water heater has a slow leak. We are several miles from a dealer and want to repair it ourselves. We were told that all the hoses are crimped on as an assembly from the factory and not easy to get to. A RV repair shop in our town suggested using a Pex fitting. Does anyone have any experience at doing this? Thanks for any help.
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #2

Pex is the name for the plastic tube that is used throughout your rig for plumbing, don't know exactly what it stands for. I had to lengthen the hose going to our toilet as the the factory had cut it too short and it couldn't tighten down enough not to leak. Anyway, it was very easy. The fittings work much the same way as compression fittings with copper. Once you take apart a few of the fittings to get your hoses out you will see how they work. Not all that hard to do. I have noticed that Home Depot and Lowes are now carrying the Pex tube and fittings.

I've had to do that job myself on the road one time. As with most things on the RV it's a good opportunity to learn how things go together.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Team

PEX is cross-linked polyethylene, not that you care. I use the SharkBite fittings from Lowes or Home Depot. They have worked good for me. The only trick is to cut the end of the tubing as square as you can and make sure to insert it completely into the fitting.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #4

Thanks alot everyone. Im going to work on it tonight.
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote