Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

Help-Scared of the Water Heater!!

I know this is probably going to sound like a crazy post but I need advice on how to tell when the water heater is full. We have always had pop ups and this is our first TT-Roo 19. When we were having our Demo the guy had to fix something in the system so he was in and out doing things and I now feel like I don't know how to work the hot water heater. I am so afraid it won't be full when we try to start it. And that's another thing-do I light a pilot-is it electric? How do I know if it's full? Can someone walk me step by step what I do when I get to the campground to get this up and running? When we had the walk through I thought he put water in the holding tank-do I need to do that? Like I said-this probably is a weird post but I have visions of us burning something out on out first trip. Thank you for all your help on these forums!!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952
I know this is probably going to sound like a crazy post but I need advice on how to tell when the water heater is full. We have always had pop ups and this is our first TT-Roo 19. When we were having our Demo the guy had to fix something in the system so he was in and out doing things and I now feel like I don't know how to work the hot water heater. I am so afraid it won't be full when we try to start it. And that's another thing-do I light a pilot-is it electric? How do I know if it's full? Can someone walk me step by step what I do when I get to the campground to get this up and running? When we had the walk through I thought he put water in the holding tank-do I need to do that? Like I said-this probably is a weird post but I have visions of us burning something out on out first trip. Thank you for all your help on these forums!!

When fw tank is full turn pump on and open a hw facet.
Only if hw bypass is closed.

Or open pressure relief valve at top of hw heater untill water runs out with pump on with full fw tank.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to judy3972
Is this the same when using city water and not filling the fw tank?

Phoenix, Az.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Either cut the water pump on to get water out of the fresh water tank, or hook up to a water connection via your city water connection.

Make sure the bypass valves to your water heater are set correctly. The valves to the 2 lines that connect to the water heater should be open....the valve handles should be in line with the pipes. The valve that connects the 2 lines should be closed.....that handle should be perpendicular to the line.

Run water out of each faucet via the hot water valve...usually the 1 on the left if your camper is like most.

Once you get water out of each faucet, then go outside and carefully pull the little lever (pressure relief valve) at the top of the water heater. If you do not get water out of that after a couple of seconds, you do not have the bypass system setup up correctly. Go back and check those valves again.

Once you get water out of the pressure relief valve, you are OK to cut on the electric element of the gas burner. You probably need to refer to your water heater manual to learn how to do that.....I am not sure what water heater you have. It could be gas only, with or without electronic gas ignition.

If you have electricity and your water heater has an electric element, there is a little "hidden" switch on the lower left corner on the outside section of your water heater. Remove the pin, and toggle the switch to on. Make sure the water heater breaker in your power center is on.

If you have electronic gas ignition, to light the gas burner all you have to do is find the water heater switch on the inside of your camper, and turn that puppy on. Light the stove 1st for a couple of seconds to help purge the air out of the gas lines.

If your water heater has a pilot light, then someone familiar with that system needs to chime in.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Do you know if your water heater is gas or electric ? Or both ? Make of water heater ?

If electric, you simply attach your fresh water hose to your TT. Open the valve on the hose............open your sink valves........and let it run until the water comes out without spitting air.

Check fuse box to ensure the HW heater is turned on, and depending on water heater make.......you may have a rocker switch......on/off switch behind the outside WH panel.

If it is only operated by gas........open valve to gas tank........and you should have a on/off switch within your TT.

Once you have smooth running water coming out of you sinks.......your HW tank is full.......and you can turn it on!

Then grab and beer and enjoy your trip !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to judy3972
Great explaination. Yes we have gas/electric water heater and as far as I know no pilot light. The water heater was full when we got the new to us MH so I didn't have a worry. We had the aniod (?) rod replaced and now there is no water in the tank so I thought I'd ask and be safe rather than sorry.

Phoenix, Az.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

did you get the DSI option with your Roo?
that needs to be known before we can fully advise you on WH procedures.

most Roos get the DSI. that is the electric-lighting feature for the propane.
it's the red toggle switch next to the water pump switch.

the electric is turned on outside, by accessing the WH from its outside hatch door. there a black toggle switch with a cotter pin though it.

NEVER do either without running the hot faucet for a while, first.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
did you get the DSI option with your Roo?
that needs to be known before we can fully advise you on WH procedures.

most Roos get the DSI. that is the electric-lighting feature for the propane.
it's the red toggle switch next to the water pump switch.

the electric is turned on outside, by accessing the WH from its outside hatch door. there a black toggle switch with a cotter pin though it.

NEVER do either without running the hot faucet for a while, first.
To further add to bikendans post.

1) make sure you have already turned by pass valves. Water will still come out of hw tap if hw by pass is open and hw tank will not be full.
That's why I use relief valve to make sure.

2) some newer units have electric on/off switch inside camper next to gas switch negating switch on hw heater.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This thread had gotten a little off topic with local dialect comments, so I moved those posts here: Local Dialects

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote