Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
OK, I know they "sell" it, but at least in this part of the country they don't stock it, and you have to special order. I know I tried, and the shipping cost and time were excessive.
Maybe it's different elsewhere in the country.

The one things that I didn't get from Amazon was the pipe itself. I got that from Jet.com (fulfilled via Zoro). 10ft length of 3" pipe under $22 with free delivery in 3 days
Like me you do not live in the same state as OP does, it is best he check with his local store as they just might stock it.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
No coupler. The end of the large pipe is simply pushed inside the hole on the black tank. There is an o-ring on the end of the pipe, but I have a feeling it doesn't do much.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Thought that looked like an "O" ring too. Sealant is probably to try to make it truly water tight. Probably don't want to use a sealant that hardens and you wouldn't need a lot since it is pretty low pressure. Something that stays flexible but has some fiber in it.

You are lucky that it broke the way it did and that your tanks were empty. On my 335 I hit something that swiveled the whole lower waste fitting and broke the attachment to the waste ell and both valves...and the tanks were not empty. I fixed it with new parts and a FERNCO and I sent this to the factory as a design change since is only costs about $2.00 and prevents damage to the ABS fittings. Fortunately in your rig the attachment point to the tank slipped out. A FERNCO is ideal for the grey water tank. They never should weld ABS to the tanks without some sort of flexible fitting to fail first if you hit an obstruction.

Here is my rework, with the FERNCO in place.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waste Rework.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	106582  

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #43

What's on that larger connection looks like Oaty's pipe joint compound. It doesn't dry hard, but stays kind of malleable and sticky. Which is good as it'll maintain a seal even if the pipe clamp comes loose or fails.

It's what's used in new home construction on sink drains. The actual drain will be puttied in and this joint compound will be on the back side where the threaded lock nut is.

Gray Pipe Joint Compound | Thread Sealants | Oatey
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #44

X2...that is what I meant by plumber's putty, but you are right...it isn't plumbers plutty it is plumbers joint compound... Oateys compound. Messy...stringy...and always soft!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #45

I just checked, and our Lowe's carries ABS but not Home Depot. First I'm going to try a Fernco and see if I can make it secure enough that it won't fly apart going down the road. If so, I might leave it at that because that seems the easiest and cheapest fix. I'll definitely buy an extra fitting however in case I have to make some impromptu repairs on the road. If it causes me further problems, I'll have to consider reworking the whole setup with new pipe and fittings.

I just happen to have a small tube of that joint compound from a prior job. I don't remember it being that same consistency (stringy, tacky, etc. ), but it's been a long time since i used it. I'll check it out.

Thanks everyone! Y'all have probably saved me a few hundred bucks by helping me do this myself instead of taking it the 90 miles back to the dealer. I can't tell you how bummed I was yesterday when I discovered I'd done that to my brand new RV! It's turned out to be only a minor annoyance rather than a great catastrophe.

Off to Lowe's. I'll updates with the fix when I'm done!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #46

Why not use a "Fernco" on both,No sealant needed! Youroo!! "Fernco's Dont care if the pipe's /Tank's are PVC or ABS or XYZ they will seal at Both ends!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #47

Well nobody at HD knew what the sealant is. It's too tacky to be joint compound. I put some on my fingers to test it. The guy at HD said it reminds him of silly-putty or that 3M sticky tack that you use to hang posters. So, I just scraped as much off as I could with a plastic putty knife. I actually had to do that regardless because the big pipe wouldn't go back in with that stuff on there.

So, after a couple trips to HD, I ended up finding this thing with the other ferncos.

It was called a transition, and the bigger end fits over the larger diameter of the 90-elbow, and the smaller over the pipe. Looks like it was made for exactly this purpose. Here's some pics of the finished install:

Now for the leak test. I don't mind if the grey water drips, but I'm hoping I get lucky with the black water connection since I didn't use sealant.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #48

Looks like it will work just fine, good job!
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #49

Just a suggestion, put another clamp on both sides.

No need to take it apart, just undo the clamp.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Just a suggestion, put another clamp on both sides.

No need to take it apart, just undo the clamp.
Great idea! Will do...

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk