Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
Well nobody at HD knew what the sealant is. It's too tacky to be joint compound. I put some on my fingers to test it. The guy at HD said it reminds him of silly-putty or that 3M sticky tack that you use to hang posters. So, I just scraped as much off as I could with a plastic putty knife. I actually had to do that regardless because the big pipe wouldn't go back in with that stuff on there.

So, after a couple trips to HD, I ended up finding this thing with the other ferncos.

It was called a transition, and the bigger end fits over the larger diameter of the 90-elbow, and the smaller over the pipe. Looks like it was made for exactly this purpose. Here's some pics of the finished install:

Now for the leak test. I don't mind if the grey water drips, but I'm hoping I get lucky with the black water connection since I didn't use sealant.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Why didnt you use a "Fernco" on the Black water connection also? You are just going to depend on Luck? Good Luck with that! Youroo!!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #52

You were lucky that the ABS wasn't glued solid. My situation was in Jasper National Park in Alberta. I don't know what I hit, but both pipes were sheared off, damaging my connection to the black tank. It took over a week to get a new replacement black tank from Oregon. After the tank was replaced and the piping repaired, they installed a 3/8 steel skid. Total cost was about $1,000 CDN. Could have been worse.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #53

[QUOTE=gspot01;1180873]Stupid newbie mistake: ripped off the black and grey water drain pipes backing it into the driveway for the first time.

I'm going to try to fix this myself. I've had a little experience repairing pvc for underground sprinklers, so I know just enough to be dangerous.

Can anyone advise me on how to approach this?

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Looks like the large or black tank is some sort on compression fitting. Never actually looked at what holds my 3 inch abs to the tank. My experience repairing those black rubbery "polyethylene" is that nearly nothing sticks to it. So look at wow it was,how it came apart and work from there. If all you broke on TH grey is. ABS YER probably lucky.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
It looks like the factory ran out of glue and used Dicor or putty tape and a pipe clamp on the black tank inlet? Thats good for OP, the fitting just popped out.
Clean the stringy stuff with mineral spirits. The gray tank fitting look like the will just clean up with sand paper to remove old glue. Buy pvc primer and glue and glue it all back together if nothing is cracked.
OK EVERY BODY. STOP SAYING PVC. PRITTY SURE IT IS ABS. WHOLE DIFFERENT GLUE. Also tank not PVC or abs. Neither GLUE will stick to the tank. That's why a putty and pressure clamp.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Why didnt you use a "Fernco" on the Black water connection also? You are just going to depend on Luck? Good Luck with that! Youroo!!
I took your advice and bought one. I just couldn't get it to fit over the existing connections. :shrug: It's pretty solid though, unless I hit something else

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
You were lucky that the ABS wasn't glued solid. My situation was in Jasper National Park in Alberta. I don't know what I hit, but both pipes were sheared off, damaging my connection to the black tank. It took over a week to get a new replacement black tank from Oregon. After the tank was replaced and the piping repaired, they installed a 3/8 steel skid. Total cost was about $1,000 CDN. Could have been worse.
After seeing how vulnerable and exposed this is, it is a shame that the factory didn't take fine minutes and big $5 piece of iron and build a skid under that as least has heavy as the nearby tail skid. Unless your driveway involves crossing a really steep ditch this should not be able to happen.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #57

X100 on the ABS. It ain't PVC. In addition, if it were glued with some magic glue that could connect dissimilar plastics the OP would be looking for a new tank right now. Not sure skid plates would help as the pipes are pretty low and it would take some serious weldments to protect them...and that might be even lower.

Bottom line is that you need to be careful when it comes to below basement sewage fittings. They sure are nice and convenient to use, but they are really vulnerable.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
... Not sure skid plates would help as the pipes are pretty low and it would take some serious weldments to protect them...and that might be even lower...
A properly designed skid is a LOT stronger than ABS plastic. My accident was at night on a perfectly level CG access road. My SUV didn't cross a ditch and I didn't feel anything until the rear wheels passed whatever. I went back in the daylight and couldn't find anything. The skid would have saved me $1 000 CDN and 10 days!

I agree that the factory could add a bolt-on skid as cheap insurance, but then if it didn't work they might be considered liable.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng4706 View Post
A properly designed skid is a LOT stronger than ABS plastic. My accident was at night on a perfectly level CG access road. My SUV didn't cross a ditch and I didn't feel anything until the rear wheels passed whatever. I went back in the daylight and couldn't find anything. The skid would have saved me $1 000 CDN and 10 days!

I agree that the factory could add a bolt-on skid as cheap insurance, but then if it didn't work they might be considered liable.
Perhaps with a TT or 5th wheel. All of my experience is with class As and my tailpipe is as low as my sewage connection. Isn't that some sort of deflector I see in the pictures in front of the sewage pipe?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Perhaps with a TT or 5th wheel. All of my experience is with class As and my tailpipe is as low as my sewage connection. Isn't that some sort of deflector I see in the pictures in front of the sewage pipe?
Yes, there are two metal v's that hang down from each corner of the frame that are supposed to protect things. Unfortunately I went over the curb in such a way that it bypassed the v's and caught the pipes.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk