Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

HELP...water pump sucking air and won't shut off

Water pump does not allow a steady stream of water..keeps sputtering when we have the Fw tank on...nothing works ...also bunch of air and spits of water coming out of the hw heater. What is wrong??
charmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

You have air in your system, likely from the hot water heater filling.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmat View Post
Water pump does not allow a steady stream of water..keeps sputtering when we have the Fw tank on...nothing works ...also bunch of air and spits of water coming out of the hw heater. What is wrong??
Sounds like ok on shore connection?. Problem may be the pump direct suction hose valve at pump suction to allow antifreeze injection. The valve may be part open allowing some water from tank and air from injection hose. Look for valve near pump with short hose connected and three way valve (tank, short hose leads to pump) This assumes tank has plenty of water?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is the hw tank full yet?
Pump will fill hw tank first before you get any or much water out of taps?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

We have the hose off the water pump and when we turn the pump on the water still spits and sputters coming out of the pump...could there be a problem from the fw tank to the pump?
charmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is the tank full?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #7

Do you have a valve on the pump suction side for winterizing the trailer and is it in the correct position?

If your water tank is full then the possible problems are:
-The vent to the water tank is plugged, not allowing water to exit the water tank
-The suction hose to the pump is plugged (doubtful)
-Pump is malfunctioning
-Suction hose has a loose fitting or hole

I would open the water fill access to your water tank and see if the pump will work. If not then I would drain your water tank, remove the line into the pump and see if it will suck out of a jug. Quite possibly the pump needs to be replaced. Hope this helps
Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

I have the same problem. 2012 Salem 27 RKSS. City water perfect. Tank water forget it. The tank is full (actually let it overflow out of drain line)

I took the line off the pump and replaced it with fitting and clear hose to a small pail with about 3 gallons of water in it.
Darn near run it dry in a minute or so.
Shut the pump off and then reconnected the line back to the white hose which feeds from the holding fresh water tank.
Turned the pump back on and NOTHING BUT AIR and a bit of water spray.
My manual says to fill the tank - done
Open all taps - done
Turn on the pump - Energised
And then start to turn off taps when a steady stream of water is seen.

I'm not sure but.... I would think that after 1/2 hour and 1/2 a water holding tank spit literally out of the shower, the kitchen sink which leaks at the pull out, and the bathroom sink that the air would be gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-305010032.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	15650   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1727224909.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	15651  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

I took the line off the pump and replaced it with fitting and clear hose to a small pail with about 3 gallons of water in it.
Darn near run it dry in a minute or so.
Shut the pump off and then reconnected the line back to the white hose which feeds from the holding fresh water tank.
Turned the pump back on and NOTHING BUT AIR and a bit of water spray.

Milcop have you tried to push pressurised air (10 -20 psi) back to the fresh water tank from the white hose that feeds your water pump. Maybe you have some restriction at the intake tube in the tank. Just a thought.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #10

On our last 5th wheel the water pump is actually below the water level when the tank is full. I am forgetting that the on these new trailers and my new trailer as well that the water pump is actually above the tank and water level. If you are sucking air and have verified the function of the pump then it is likely that there is a loose fitting or hole in the suction line to the tank.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

another fix

I had the same problem what I found was the fitting at the bottom of the tank (which is the water intake for the pump) was loose tightened two turns, then replaced the plastic hose clamps with steel hose clamps (SS) and my problem was solved. before I went through all that, I took off the hose at the pump and the tank, then I pulled on the hose back and forth (2 people) a few inches to make sure there was no screws into the hose during assembly, check that the strainer is tight, put it back and it should work provided your pump works.
omaziar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #12

Found the issue.
Either the factory or the FR dealer was in a hurry and cross threaded the hose onto the filter assembly.
Will check with the forest river dealer who winterised last fall to see if they will provide me with a free filter assembly. If they won't I'll tackle FR And the last case is to suck it up as we did with several other warranty issues FR has not yet reimbursed me for ( now a year in the waiting). At least I k ow I haven't spent 200 dollars to trouble shoot.
Thanks for every ones suggestions. One mans misery is another mans solution.
Closely look at all threaded fittings first and spend 1$ for some thread tape.