Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Question Help With Winterizing 5th Wheel

My 28' Flagstaff has an outlet on the side for antifreeze to be put in for winterizing. It has the regular hose adapter like the city water. I turned on the water pump and closed the valve to the dry camping water tank. I attached part of a garden hose and a funnel to pour in the antifreeze. I can't get it to suck any antifreeze. I haven't seen in any stores an attachment that has a hose that attaches to the antifreeze container.
The book that came with it doesn't even mention how to use the antifreeze outlet.
If anyone can help I will appreciate it greatly.

Yogi Adams
5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #2

Anti-freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheel View Post
My 28' Flagstaff has an outlet on the side for antifreeze to be put in for winterizing. It has the regular hose adapter like the city water. I turned on the water pump and closed the valve to the dry camping water tank. I attached part of a garden hose and a funnel to pour in the antifreeze. I can't get it to suck any antifreeze. I haven't seen in any stores an attachment that has a hose that attaches to the antifreeze container.
The book that came with it doesn't even mention how to use the antifreeze outlet.
If anyone can help I will appreciate it greatly.

Yogi Adams
You just hook up a short piece of hose with a male end that screws to the trailer fitting . You then put the other end of the hose thru the top of the gallon of anti-freeze all the way to the bottom of the jug . The hose should only be 2 to 3 feet long . Then turn on the onboard water pump and pump the anti-freeze thru the lines.When the jug gets empty then you need to change jugs. Turn off the onboard pump when changing jugs . MAKE SURE you first by-pass the hot water tank. Also drain the hot water tank first . Don't forget the drains . Good luck . If you have never done this before I suggest you try to get someone with experience to help you the first time . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

go to camping world they make a hand pump that you put right in the jug and hand pump the anti- freeze right into city water hookup it has the line on pump to hook to city hookup works well
jkklops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

FarmerJim and jkklops: Thank you both very much for the info. I knew someone could help me and you both did. Happy & Safe Camping to both of you.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

i don't know if u have a water filter or not. if u do, this would be a good time to remove the old cartridge and by pass the filter.
the fittings are 1/2" so replacing the filter assembly with a 1/2" nipple works well and will save u some antifreeze. these fittings are hand tight so they are easy to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water filter bypass.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	22637  
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on bypassing the water filter. A biggie for me, thanks for including the size needed.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If you have one don't forget the outside flushing station...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #8

We don't use antifreeze. First off we drink the water on board and despite rinsing I'm not keen on ingesting any residue. We drain and flush the waste tanks. We drain the fresh water tank, remove the annode rod from the water heater, drain the lines and using compressed air blow all the lines. The water filter is removed (filter replaced, housing scrubbed clean).

How low does antifreeze do? Dunno but it does reach minus 40 here. I'd rather have no water to freeze than hope the red juice works. We do use the red juice in the drains.

Why is blowing out the lines better? Saves time when you are adding water - and no potential for chemical red juice consumption!
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel