Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #1

holding tank indicators

We bought a new 8281SS fifth wheel in July of this year. So far we love it, but have an issue with the potable, galley, and sewer indications. I emptied all of them the last time we came home, but couldn't get the sewer to indicate any less than 1/3 even after flushing the tank and letting it drain for about 15-20 min. We parked it thinking it was just an indication problem. When we opened it up the next time all tanks showed 1/3 ( i know they are not connected ). I put some water in the lav and 5 bags of ice and went for a drive for about 1 hour. Came back and drained everything with the same results. Pot. 0 Galley 0 Sewer 1/3. Let it sit for a few weeks and now 1/3's across the board.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
philandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philandkara View Post
We bought a new 8281SS fifth wheel in July of this year. So far we love it, but have an issue with the potable, galley, and sewer indications. I emptied all of them the last time we came home, but couldn't get the sewer to indicate any less than 1/3 even after flushing the tank and letting it drain for about 15-20 min. We parked it thinking it was just an indication problem. When we opened it up the next time all tanks showed 1/3 ( i know they are not connected ). I put some water in the lav and 5 bags of ice and went for a drive for about 1 hour. Came back and drained everything with the same results. Pot. 0 Galley 0 Sewer 1/3. Let it sit for a few weeks and now 1/3's across the board.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
First off to the Forum. Your tank indicator seem to be working normal......Most of us have the same problem all it takes is for a piece of paper or debria and even a build up of scum to collect on them and they give false readings. These are electronic, no moving parts like a mechanical float. Just have to rise the tanks well.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #3

Angry

It seems this is the biggest problem for these. I have a new (July of this year) 2501ss and on the first trip out, one pee and flush of the toilet and it showed 2/3s full in the black. I've come to the realization that you just have to pretty much ignore the black tank panel. Mine will go back to zero after flushing it and letting it sit a day. But the next time out, one flush and it already shows 1/3 to 2/3s. My motto has become...if it comes out the top of the toilet, it must be full...otherwise I'm okay!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Tank probes seem to always be a pain. Grey water tanks don't seem to be as much an issue as the black water tank probes. I haven't bought these but attended the Hershey RV Show seminar by Gary Bunzer (RV Doctor) and the Miracle Probes were shown to us all. they're a bit pricey and as long as you can get to the old probes they can replace the problem probes. They seem to have found the splution to inaccurate readings. Here's their link.

http://www.horstmiracleprobes.com/

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my 2009 FW. Just learned to ignore it. Suspect that the moisture causes it to short out and light the first indicator. Seems like after drying out (no use) it goes back to zero.
saubolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #6

If you're real industrious there's a monitor system called the Integrity Tank Monitor System (about 170-200 depending on where you shop). It uses sensors mounted to the outside of the tank so the contents don't seem to affect it. I haven't personally used this, though I've been looking at adding it to my camper as I also hate the fact that my monitor never gives me good information.

As a side note, it can also monitor your propane bottles, though I think you have to get extra sensors for that, but is nice to have instead of having to go look and see if the flag is up on the changeover valve.

Those miracle probes sound good in theory kinda like this system.

Tim

2008 Ram MegaCab Hemi
Reese Dual-Cam WD Hitch
2009 Surveyor 304
flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote