Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Might be a lot of truth here....

These are photos of my tanks during the manufacturing process.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/254...X?vhost=travel

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/238...w?vhost=travel

It looks to me like the outlets are right at the bottom of the tanks so they should dump completely as long as the hitch pin is higher than the rear bumper.

The left tank (from the back) is the gray and the one on the right (with the white hose - black water flush line) is on the right. What confuses me is there is a probe at the very bottom on the left of the outlet and then 3 probes on the right of the oulet.

I assume the left probe is the ground and the 3 probes on the right are the lights. You can see that the lowest right probe is very low on the tank and the highest probe is also not at the very top (your observation seems right on!).

It should dump empty from my view even if the trailer is level. I will try another dump later today and use another heavy flush cycle.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

What confuses me is there is a probe at the very bottom on the left of the outlet and then 3 probes on the right of the oulet.

I assume the left probe is the ground and the 3 probes on the right are the lights.
I think you have it right on this assessment. I would think the one contact on it's own is the ground. I've seen lots of different arrangements for tank monitors but I've never seen them be all too accurate. Ours started acting up this last summer but I drove some clean water around the block and it seemed to dislodge what ever was messing with our sensors.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

OK, just turbo flushed with the rig at a steep angle with the drain openings facing down. After several minutes of flushing, I re-leveled the rig and lo and behold it read "empty."
My elation was short lived however, when I added two bowls full of water and 4 oz of holding tank liquid to the black tank and it immediately showed 3/4 when I checked.

The gray water still shows 1/3 even when totally empty.

bumma'

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
OK, just turbo flushed with the rig at a steep angle with the drain openings facing down. After several minutes of flushing, I re-leveled the rig and lo and behold it read "empty."
My elation was short lived however, when I added two bowls full of water and 4 oz of holding tank liquid to the black tank and it immediately showed 3/4 when I checked.

The gray water still shows 1/3 even when totally empty.

bumma'
Sounds like a Sea Level system in the future for ya. I think you need to get it and let us know how the install goes and how it works.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I have been looking at it for sure.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Usually the indicators are not switches as most people think but rather two bolts placed in close proximity to each other at set levels that penetrate the sidewall of the tank. Current is then passed from one to the other once the fluid level covers them and completes the circuit. I am not sure if they complete the ground side or if they actually pass +12 volts through them but I would guess that it would be the former as it would only require one wire for each set level to be run to the tank from the meter, the other side could just be attached to a nearby ground.

If you do not have a built in tank cleaning setup then you can purchase wands at RV supply stores that have holes in all directions in the end. The wand is connected to a fresh water hose and you put the wand down the toilet opening and turn on the water to flush the tank. Cleaning the grey tank isn't as easy. For this reason it is important that you not let food particles get down your tank or for that matter grease. If I needed to clean the grey tank I would fill it about half full, add a degreaser or cleaner of which you can also find at an RV supply and drive the rig to slosh the water around then empty it.

Stock fluid level sensors in most RVs are notoriously bad and fall short of being really useful. There are solutions on the market which work much better. The Sealevel monitor system is one but there are others.
Jeeper: Thanks for your description of how the sensors work. I was afraid that the spinning wand (aka Stinky Slinky) might somehow damage the sensors, but with your description it seems that there is nothing to fear.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote