Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Dallas Texas

Holding tank sensors - Horst probes

Got tired of the bogus readings and using various chemicals and the old turbo tank wand to repeatedly clean the sensors.

So I bought the Horst probes for the black and grey tanks and installed this past weekend. I have the winter package so I had the drop the metal underbelly and then remove the insulation to get access to the probes.

I then realized I have the welded factory probes and found that I needed to drill new holes. It wasn’t all that bad but I did have to run to the nearby Harbor Freight to get a 90° drill attachment because I only have about a foot between the tanks wall and I beam.

I also found that Forest River wired the Black and Grey tank sensor to one wire leading to the Micro Monitor. Drrr. Photo below shows two grey wires jumped together, one going to each tank. The good news is that the dedicated wire for the grey tank was sitting there, not connected. So I fixed that and then went on the 2nd grey tank (galley) and found it was wired correctly.

The black tank probes were a little PIA because they have the “roof” built into them and only a little shelf on the threaded stud to hold onto (to keep orientation) while tightening the net that seals the probe. Maybe a machined slut for a screwdriver would have worked better.

While I was down there I inspected everything I could look at. I found about a pound of new screws laying here and there in the insulation that apparently the assembler didn’t use, and various pieces of water pipe. I tie wrapped several cables that were not secured properly and verified the tanks supports were secure. I was happy to see how beefy the tank supports were and bolted to the I frame. I’ve heard too many horror stories about tanks falling/sagging thru the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03231.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	35981   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03232.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	35982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03222.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	35983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03228.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	35984  

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
I also found that Forest River wired the Black and Grey tank sensor to one wire leading to the Micro Monitor.
Mine were wired that way and it is OK, because all the grounds are common at the display unit.

Quote:
The black tank probes were a little PIA because they have the “roof” built into them and only a little shelf on the threaded stud to hold onto (to keep orientation) while tightening the net that seals the probe. Maybe a machined slut for a screwdriver would have worked better.
Maybe not, because if the screwdriver slipped off and the stud spun 180 degrees you would not know what the orientation of the TP hood was. You DO NOT want that upside down!

All in all glad you got it done. Just a caution. Had our long haired son stay with us for a few weeks and the gray tank probes went "wonkie." After a year of fighting with various cleaners, I sucked it up and pulled one of the gray tank probes. The spring end was a big ball of hair and soap.

I pulled out all the gray tank probes and replaced them with the slightly more expensive black tank ones to get that shield for the wire (and no spiral at the end). Will find out if that works when we camp with our MPB son again.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

"MPB son"?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Hint: Rogaine

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Dallas Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Mine were wired that way and it is OK, because all the grounds are common at the display unit.

Bill>But the contol panel had a seperate wire running to it that was not connected to the probes.

Maybe not, because if the screwdriver slipped off and the stud spun 180 degrees you would not know what the orientation of the TP hood was. You DO NOT want that upside down!

Bill> Nothing a little red fingernail polish couln't solve.

All in all glad you got it done. Just a caution. Had our long haired son stay with us for a few weeks and the gray tank probes went "wonkie." After a year of fighting with various cleaners, I sucked it up and pulled one of the gray tank probes. The spring end was a big ball of hair and soap.

I pulled out all the gray tank probes and replaced them with the slightly more expensive black tank ones to get that shield for the wire (and no spiral at the end). Will find out if that works when we camp with our MPB son again.
Not good! I wonder of the coil (loop) at the end of the grey probe is really needed? Since they are mostly covered with a teflon sleeve I would think as long as the very tip was exposed it would work fine. That way the hait would likely wash off with the agitation in the tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Not good! I wonder of the coil (loop) at the end of the grey probe is really needed? Since they are mostly covered with a teflon sleeve I would think as long as the very tip was exposed it would work fine. That way the hait would likely wash off with the agitation in the tank.
Without the shield (on the black tank probe) I would think the sharp point would attract hair and grease particles as well.

Like I said, will report again in another 2 years or if I have a recurrence.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW