Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Holding Tanks, Open or Closed

Getting ready to stay parked for more than a month. Need opinions on the holding tanks. Leave them open? Leave them closed and dump when needed? Use enzyme treatments while parked? What do you guys do? Usually camp without hookups and use dump stations so not experience at sitting for a long time.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Always Learning

ALWAYS leave the BLACK tank CLOSED.

The gray tank is up for debate. Lots leave them closed and only open at dumping time. Lots leave them open (and close just prior to black tank dumping, so they have gray water to flush the sewer hose).

We use something similar to the geo method for our black tanks. Dawn dish soap and borax and/or Calgon.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

I'll echo the advice on the black tank. When all the liquids drain off, only the solids remain and they can form a formidable layer of poopcrete on the bottom of the tank.

I keep my galley grey closed for the same reason... there are solids in there too and the contents can smell worse than the black. I want as much liquid flushing power as possible when emptying the tanks.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
I'll echo the advice on the black tank. When all the liquids drain off, only the solids remain and they can form a formidable layer of poopcrete on the bottom of the tank.

I keep my galley grey closed for the same reason... there are solids in there too and the contents can smell worse than the black. I want as much liquid flushing power as possible when emptying the tanks.
Love that term "Poopcrete". I've been leaving it closed and using enzyme to break up the "Poopcrete". Seems to work. Had it plug up one year and it was a b--ch to get it cleared. Try to use lots of water also. Guess I'll stay with that program. "Poopcrete

Former Montana owner
Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
WFD

Another common term is Poop Pyramid!!!! I am sure you get the picture!

I will echo the post about grey also having some stench at times...as careful as we are about what goes into the drain, it still can develop a strong smell. So I like having as much liquid in there as possible to in oirder to get a good flush.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Another common term is Poop Pyramid!!!! I am sure you get the picture!

I will echo the post about grey also having some stench at times...as careful as we are about what goes into the drain, it still can develop a strong smell. So I like having as much liquid in there as possible to in oirder to get a good flush.
Nothing like RVing to get us to visualize Poop Piles. I use enzyme treatments in my Galley Grey water tank periodically to break up food particles and kill the smell. I just break open the packets, (don't want those dissolvable bags down there, they screw up your sensor contacts). Seems to keep the Galley Tank from stinking. Have to pour water to flush it through the trap. Put it in before you travel so it will slosh around.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Always leave ALL tanks closed until they are least 2/3 -3/4 full, otherwise you are venting the entire campground thru your trailer. Just a fact of life.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Always leave ALL tanks closed until they are least 2/3 -3/4 full, otherwise you are venting the entire campground thru your trailer. Just a fact of life.
You also risk getting Roaches and other bugs in your holding tanks.
I also create a trap with my dump hose by having a section of it low to collect water blocking smells and bugs etc.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

Absolutely closed until you need to empty.
When I do keep the grey water valve open, I plan to close it the night before so I have plenty of grey water to flush after the black water tank has been emptied.

Regards,
Fred
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

Thanks all. Great advice for this newbie as well.
IICAPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #11

you mention enzyme / for grey tank / can u tell me what brand u use
Thanks
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

Usually use Thetford with the dissolvable packets. As I said I tear open the packets and throw away the bag as I don't want them to stick to the contacts for the sensors. I also will dissolve them in warm water before putting it down the drain. Just be sure to buy the waste dissolving enzymes, not the deodorant. The deodorant does very little. I use the same stuff in my septic at home. It is the same stuff I use in the blackwater tank.

Former Montana owner
Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2 it can be a smelly learning experience
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #14

My Cottage is always parked at a seasonal site. The previous 5th wheels all had easily accessible valve pulls. The Cottage ones are all hard to access. So I was thinking that I'd leave both the bath and galley valves open all the time, and keep the black closed until dumping, at which time, usually every other weekend I'd dump, then saniflush the blank tank every time. Does this make sense or am I missing something?
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank