Old 04-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #1

Hooking up to sewer

We're about to head out for our first trip in a TT with a toilet. The campground had sewer hookups so my question is, after I connect the discharge hose to the drain connection of the TT do I keep it shut until the black holding tank is somewhat full before opening the valve? In other words, I'm not supposed to keep the discharge valve open all the time, correct?

Thanks

Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Leave the tank valves closed until theyíre close to full.

http://learntorv.com/how-to-dump-rv-...s-not-so-icky/

Old 04-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #3

Hooking up to sewer

You are correct. Keep the Black tank valve closed until youíre nearly full or getting ready to leave. If you leave it open the liquids drain out and the solids stay put and if they get hard are very tough to get out and stinky. Donít be afraid to use lots of water in the potty and if youíre not very full and heading out then run some extra water into the toilet before dumping.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
We're about to head out for our first trip in a TT with a toilet. The campground had sewer hookups so my question is, after I connect the discharge hose to the drain connection of the TT do I keep it shut until the black holding tank is somewhat full before opening the valve? In other words, I'm not supposed to keep the discharge valve open all the time, correct?

Thanks
You have answered your questions correctly. Don't leave your black tank valve open. If you DO, liquids will rush off down the hose/hole and solids will heap up to your dismay.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:14 AM   #5

You only keep the black tank open if you want to build a pyramid... of poo
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #6

Also to mention, get some type of toilet scent treatment drop-ins. You'll also be wise to file your tank a few times with water and drain so to clean the walls of your black tank when you get ready to head home, that is if you don't have a built in flushing system and don't forget to add a drop-in and a gallon or two of water to the toilet when storing till next time camping. It keeps the smell out.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

Nothing wrong with leaving the grey side open most of the time, but be sure to let it fill a good ways to flush your sewer hose after emptying the black side. Most sewer hoses come with a piece that detaches at the sewer end so you can secure it before clicking on the hose. Carry a sand bag or other heavy item to hold your hose in holes that are loose. Supports for your sewer hose are also a very good investment. You won't like chasing or being chased by a brown spitting anaconda when you open the dump valve!!
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = NaNa & NiuNiu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

I might add that it's a good idea to open the grey valve first and run a few gallons out the hose. This will make the hose a little slicker and heaven forbid if there is a leak it won't be nearly as messy.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:

Thanks
You got it right! So many new campers just don't seem to grasp the concept for awhile.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #10

Hooking up to sewer

Hi I just wanted to add put about 3 gallons of water in your black tank before using. It helps to keep the solids to float so they donít stick to bottom of tank. Then like was mentioned when your ready to leave open black tank.....back flush and then add more water again before using again. Enjoy
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #11

A lot of good suggestions. I close my grey tank valve the night before flushing the black tank. After evening or morning showers, there is plenty of water in the grey tank to flush the sewer line. After dumping and flushing the black tank, I add 2 toilet fulls of water to the black thank and add chemical.

Good luck with your new TT
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks
Better yet Don't hook up the sewer hose until your ready to dump,that will take care of "Open/Close" for both Gray or Black! Youroo!!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I appreciate all of the help.
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #14

We have a 5 gallon pail we mix our calgone and laundry soap in and fill 3/4 full of water and dump in at the start of the season and the end of each trip. If we are in a sewer site and there long enough to need to dump we just add more water after dumping the tank
Old 04-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #15

Quote:

Thanks
Since you are new to this, let me give you one piece of advice to keep your black tank squeaky clean.

After you have dumped your tanks use a 5 gallon bucket and pour 5 gal of water into your black tank through the toilet. Add about 4 oz of Dawn dishwashing liquid.

It will slosh around cleaning the inside of the tank all the way home and then all the way back to your next camping adventure. It will also serve to keep that pyramid from building up the next time you camp.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #16

Geo Method

Google the Geo Method. It will save you lots of headaches. I use a spray attachment on the end of the hose, with a 90 degree nozzle on the end. It goes down into the toilet and sprays the sides of your tank. I bought my trailer used, and was amazed at how much brown stuff came out after I flushed it. I use the Geo Method, and the water comes out clear after the last flush. If you don't use the Geo Method, TST additive from Walmart is inexpensive and works as well as anything I've tried. We went 3 weeks without dumping (in our houseboat) and had no odors.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #17

After dumping a 3/4 full (or more) black water tank, we flush with fresh water, close the dump valve and immediately add our toilet treatment with 5 gallons of water - the sloshing action on the trip home keeps the tank free from solid build up.

myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote