Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #21

Won't help with your immediate problem, but make sure on the way home that you fill the black water tank with water to at least 1/2 way and add some ice chips or cubes to the toilet before leaving. I would also add some laundry detergent and some water softener (e.g., calgon). The ice, detergent and water softener should help clean the tank well. After the trip home, dump the tank and flush it several times with fresh water.

You might also try lubricating the toiler seal with some vaseline or similar lube and make sure that there is always some water in the toilet.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #22

I know you don't want to here it, but for an instant cure, 4 or 5 gallons in the black tank, one cup of bleach, lots of sloshing on the way to the dump.

I believe bleach is fine if used properly, though I've only used it twice in a situation like yours. It worked like a champ. Read up on the geo method later for more info on bleach.

Backing in. Yeah, I've seen some big time problems with couples backing in. I've backed my trailer in at night, alone, with obstacles every where, 3 foot at a time, with one try. You might try that, and just use the wife as an emergency stop or you will crash person.
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Most campgrounds have a mobile service that comes to your site to pump the tanks empty. That is the honey wagon. I would call the office to see if that service is available there?
crunchman
Look at it this way, your trailer will stink bad with month old stuff in the black tank. We have suggested every option for you. Bottom line..
YOU NEED TO GET THE MONTH OLD STUFF OUT OF THE TANK.
Any other things we can help you with?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #24

You have to go to the dump station and empty your tank. I suspect you got some dried up sediment in the black tank. You should have your tank about 3/4 full to get a good dump. I would take a 5 gallon bucket with you to the dump station and dump and fill the black tank several times till you see clear water come out.

I am impressed that you can go 15 days on a black tank without dumping. Make sure when dry camping that you use sufficient water when flushing. Dry campers tend to use less water and then end with a large amount of solids in the tank and not enough water to dump the tank properly.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #25

You might want to make sure it's not your toilet. Look here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oom-43509.html
We thought it was the black tank, too. Not so!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
Site Team

the OP hasn't even said if they put any black tank additive in it at all.
that's the first question to get answered.
second, when they dumped, did they leave the black tank empty or did they add the recommended 3-5 gallons of water back.

so, if they allowed the tank to dry out and had no toilet additives, no wonder they have a stink.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

I think that until the OP is willing to hook up and go empty the tank, there is not much anyone can say or do to eliminate the problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

There is no magic bullet to proper black tank maintenance.
No matter how we wish there was one.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
NELA

IIRC the only additives he mentioned was "four orange packets", whatever those are.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #30

The campground had a rolling "honey pot" for me to borrow - leftover from the days before they installed septic hookups in most of the campground. Sweet relief!
Zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #31

Smell due to Dometic toilet problem

We also had a horrible (urine? scent) in the bathroom and discovered it was not the Black tank...after repeated washings of toilet/tank..removed the toilet and discovered there is a large cavity open in back of toilet that had about a cup of foul liquid in it...seems the rinse valve at back top of bowl can leak from the bowl into back cavity...so, once inside the back cavity..it only brews and STINKS..looks like a design problem with the toilet. Our toilet is the Dometic 300 lightweight plastic unit in a Chreokee Wolf Pup 16FB we got on May 20, 2013. Only one of many problems...another being the Black and Gray water advertised capacities are not true..our 15 gal only takes 9 before it overflows into bathtub....we need to complain!
Bug_Dah is offline   Reply With Quote