Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #1

Hose Freeze Prevention

We're doing some cold weather camping soon. It won't be any colder than about 25 at night. Our RV is ready, but I've been pondering what to do about the water hose supplying our water.

I was planning to wrap it with "heat tape", but all of them I've found say that it should be used on rigid pipe only (and never hose).

Are there other options besides the Camping World electric hose? (I save a buck whenever possible and really don't need another hose!)

Thanks!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

I am all ears too, I was gonna wrap with black pipe foam than wrap with some insulation tape. But I will wait n see what other ideas emerge,
Chip2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

I am wondering about this as well. My trailer is winterized for now but we may have to use it while we are mooving between our two home. FWIW the trailer is parked in back of the place we are moving into and plugged into power there. I am thinking about filling the onboard tank and going that way because Momma will need to tinkle.
Located here in southern Az but the temps have been dropping to 25 or so at nights.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

On my trips south during January and February, I have seen the heat tape wrapped around so many hoses its not funny. I just fill up the fresh water tank when I pull in and disconnect the hose. I connect it again only when I need water. The spigots usually have an insulated bonnet over them that gets removed when you need to hook up the water hose; then replaced after.

The sewer hose (if used) gets connected only when ready to dump; then put away.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Graduate Member

I know you said no on the heated hose - but we just got one. Wow. No more short short showers in the winter!

Anyway, look on amazon. They had a couple used Pirits hoses and i seem to recall they ran quite a bit cheaper.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Commercial Member

The Pirit hoses are UL listed and will work the best.

Using heat tape, you run the risk of melting the hose (why they tell use to use on rigid pipe only) and either shorting things out or electrocuting yourself.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

We have use the heat tape on our hose for the past two winters. Just make sure that the temperature probe is attached to the metal part of the spigot. We then cover the whole hose and heat tape with foam pipe wrap. Have not had a problem. The wire does not get that hot to melt the hose. There were 50 other units in the park and we all used the same setup. The campground owners also sold the wire and wraps in the campground store.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We have use the heat tape on our hose for the past two winters. Just make sure that the temperature probe is attached to the metal part of the spigot. We then cover the whole hose and heat tape with foam pipe wrap. Have not had a problem. The wire does not get that hot to melt the hose. There were 50 other units in the park and we all used the same setup. The campground owners also sold the wire and wraps in the campground store.
X2 Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

Thanks to all who replied! I think I'm going to go with Lou's suggestion and just use the fresh water tank during freezing temps.

If I was going to do it more often, I'd probably use the heat tape on the hose. I like the idea of putting the thermostat on the faucet itself.

Those Pirit hoses are expensive! I also note that their thermostat is at the outlet end of the hose. That would be inside my heated basement so I would have to use a stub with it to keep the thermostat outside (and would then worry about the stub). There are advantages to making your own with the heat tape. (Like I can also warm my regulator/filter which would normally sit at the faucet.)

Thanks again.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote