Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
...One way to tell might be to close the red tube valve in the photo at the water heater and see if the toilet still has water flow after all pressure has been released. If the toilet has good water flow it is plumbed correctly.
Agree 100%, just turn off the valve on the hot water and see if you still have water to the toilet.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #22

Yes, the more i look at it the more it looks like the white tee with the vinyl hose on the top is the city water in, you can see the fresh tank fill next to it. I bet the connection on the right goes to the pump as I can see the suction side of the pump but not the pressure side and I think it attaches to the right side of the tee and I can see the left side of that tee, tees into the red (hot) main and will force the hot out of the cold piping from the tank.
If i am correct the easy fix is to add a tee to the blue riser to your faucet that is above (Kitchen?) and cap the side of the tee in the hot where it is attached now.
Let us know.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
That looks right.. Check the outside shower idea from above. That seems to get a bunch of folks.. But my guess it might just be the way it is somewhere near the camode if you are getting that much heat to notice it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I had to pull drawer from vanity that is where stool gets its water supply from supply line to o/s shower it may be hooked up to the wrong line.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #24

Thanks for all the suggestions, to summarize: The Outside shower is off and always has been, from day one hot water has come from all the spigots marked cold, from all the pics I've looked at the valves are in the correct position and the Hot and Cold lines going into the heater tank are correct. I am hooked up to a city water supply line and always have been, the fresh water tank has never been used. In my opinion it was plumbed wrong from the factory. When we were only using on weekends it wasn't a big problem but I am living in it full time now and it's a problem. Anyone got an easy fix??
ukmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmark View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, to summarize: The Outside shower is off and always has been, from day one hot water has come from all the spigots marked cold, from all the pics I've looked at the valves are in the correct position and the Hot and Cold lines going into the heater tank are correct. I am hooked up to a city water supply line and always have been, the fresh water tank has never been used. In my opinion it was plumbed wrong from the factory. When we were only using on weekends it wasn't a big problem but I am living in it full time now and it's a problem. Anyone got an easy fix??
Is this the first time you have ever used the trailer? If not, did it work ok the first time you used it?. The valves all look ok, but they are not gang valves, they are screw type valves. If you turn them, all the way, to the right they are closed, to the left they are open. There is no way of knowing by your pictures, what is open and what is closed.
Have you actually checked the valves? Which is open and which ones are closed?
Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Yes, the more i look at it the more it looks like the white tee with the vinyl hose on the top is the city water in, you can see the fresh tank fill next to it. I bet the connection on the right goes to the pump as I can see the suction side of the pump but not the pressure side and I think it attaches to the right side of the tee and I can see the left side of that tee, tees into the red (hot) main and will force the hot out of the cold piping from the tank.
If i am correct the easy fix is to add a tee to the blue riser to your faucet that is above (Kitchen?) and cap the side of the tee in the hot where it is attached now.
Let us know.
After seeing the pictures on a bigger screen I agree with this. Not sure why they connected the city water inlet to a red pipe?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Based on your photos, I agree that it looks like your city water connection (the white line) is Tee'd into your red (hot) line instead of your blue (cold) line. This would reverse the pressure on your water tank, which will force the hot water out the cold inlet at the bottom instead. Basically, everything is plumbed right, valves are in the right positions, taps and toilet are all done right too, outside shower has no impact, the only thing wrong is that white Tee is on the wrong pipe (if I'm seeing it right.)

Can you confirm if the white Tee is on the red or the blue line? Just to be sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Until the OP closes the hot water valve, all is just speculation. IF, he turns the hot water valve to off and gets no water to the toilet it pretty well indicates an improper plumbing job from the factory and a pretty simple fix.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
Is this the first time you have ever used the trailer? If not, did it work ok the first time you used it?. The valves all look ok, but they are not gang valves, they are screw type valves. If you turn them, all the way, to the right they are closed, to the left they are open. There is no way of knowing by your pictures, what is open and what is closed.
Have you actually checked the valves? Which is open and which ones are closed?
I've been using the trailer for over a year mostly just weekends during summer. It has always been the same, the valves are in the correct positions bas d on every diagram I have seen.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

If I'm right (and I'm pretty sure I am) closing the hot valve will just prevent the system from being able to replenish the hot water tank. Since the toilet will be drawing from the cold (blue) inlet, which'll be on bottom of the tank, gravity acting on the water in the tank will supply some pressure and he'll probably still be getting water at the toilet for a couple of flushes. That'll last until the tank empties enough that gravity can't provide enough to get it to the toilet, which'll depend on where the toilet is located in relation to the tank.

So no, just closing the valve won't immediately show results.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If I'm right (and I'm pretty sure I am) closing the hot valve will just prevent the system from being able to replenish the hot water tank. Since the toilet will be drawing from the cold (blue) inlet, which'll be on bottom of the tank, gravity acting on the water in the tank will supply some pressure and he'll probably still be getting water at the toilet for a couple of flushes. That'll last until the tank empties enough that gravity can't provide enough to get it to the toilet, which'll depend on where the toilet is located in relation to the tank.

So no, just closing the valve won't immediately show results.

Well, that's the whole point. If the toilet doesn't have pressure it is plumbed wrong. Just hold the flusher down and see if the water stops. If it continues, iregardless of temp, then it is plumed correctly.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Well, that's the whole point. If the toilet doesn't have pressure it is plumbed wrong. Just hold the flusher down and see if the water stops. If it continues, iregardless of temp, then it is plumed correctly.
I agree, closing the hot valve will shut off the hot water to all faucets completely regardless of pressure in the water heater tank. Better to try that than just speculate on how it's plumbed like is being done now.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I agree, closing the hot valve will shut off the hot water to all faucets completely regardless of pressure in the water heater tank. Better to try that than just speculate on how it's plumbed like is being done now.

Pretty sure this was suggested about 30 posts ago, and I agree!

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I believe it can be solved just with a visual confirmation and a little bit of plumbing know-how, but a test probably won't hurt.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you do this test, and your tank has an electric element, make sure to turn it off before you test. If you end up draining the tank via the cold lines like I suspect it will it can kill your element.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #35

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460508062.240102.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	104716Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460508092.354277.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	104717

Well as you can see in these pics the city water line ties directly into the hot water lines and I'm assuming that's not good??
Old 04-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, not good.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

As they say... WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!!!

Guy at FR must have been color blind!!!
Did you buy the 2nd year warranty if you are out of the 1 year? Otherwise you gonna be on the "hot seat"!!

The reality is this is probably the BEST case scenario. Since it is wrong right at the start, a bit of re-plumbing will get you straight.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmark View Post
Attachment 104716Attachment 104717

Well as you can see in these pics the city water line ties directly into the hot water lines and I'm assuming that's not good??
If in fact that tee is the pump and shore water junction then switching the input at the water heater will make all outputs correct, only cold will be red and hot will be blue. Yes, you will have to switch those faucets back the way they were. Doesn't look difficult. Of course photo does not show access availability. Maybe your dealer should tackle this.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM   #39

That is what we plumbers call an "Ah Ha" moment.
I would fix it correctly, by teeing it into the cold where it should have been in the first place, but that's just me.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #40

Agree with Dwilcox, all fittings are available at the Depot or Lowes. Sharkbites, some Pex and a cap, done.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water